+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grade 10 Science Booth Ideas? xD

hey,

So for our Science class, our project for this term is to make a science booth that we'll be showing off in our cafeteria at lunch one day in about a month I guess. Oh, and we're supposed to be in groups, but he hasn't explained all of it to us yet.

I have no clue what to do, I've seen some groups doing it on explosives, some doing it on the differences between something or other, was just wondering if maybe you guys had some ideas you have done or would do

Thanks,

Wes

I like the topic "differences between something or other".

How about debunking science myths? You could borrow some ideas from the Mythbusters. I always thought that would be a fun high school science project. Brainstorm a bunch of ideas, pick three or four, design experiments to prove/disprove each idea and present your results.

Blog Entries
    Volcano model?.....

Or how about proving/disproving the airplane conveyor belt mystery!
    You'd have to use quite a bit of post-10th grade physics though.

Jimmy Neutron is filled with ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by carl33p View Post
    Volcano model?.....

Or how about proving/disproving the airplane conveyor belt mystery!
    You'd have to use quite a bit of post-10th grade physics though.

Jimmy Neutron is filled with ideas!
    Airplane conveyor belt...meaning like when an airplane is on a conveyor belt and its rolling can it take off or something ?

I think I remember seeing that, but i don't totally remember how it worked....

Quote Originally Posted by _Switch_ View Post
    Airplane conveyor belt...meaning like when an airplane is on a conveyor belt and its rolling can it take off or something ?

I think I remember seeing that, but i don't totally remember how it worked....
    oh man, now I remember that. That was a good one.

Well looking at it now, it may be a good contender, but does anyone else have any good ideas that would take some thinking, but seem to be cool. I'm kinda into hands-on stuff, so that would totally help. Thanks.

P.S. If we were to debunk some myths,I'm guessing that we'd need to do something that hasn't been done before, because if we took one that's already been debunked wouldn't that be lilke plagerism or something....although it'd be easy....but yea...

Build a hovercraft!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
    oh man, now I remember that. That was a good one.
    lol yeah. There was a 20 page thread back somewhere in TIMO.

Well, me and my group have decided to build a hovercraft, doesnt seem too hard, and most of the stuff we have, or can get for cheap.

Maybe you guys could give some tips on how to do it (altho we have some sites) and maybe how to get this into explanation terms...since it is for a science fair and we have to explain something xD

My idea wins!

Quote Originally Posted by shawshank62 View Post
    My idea wins!
    Yep!

Now, we've gotten pretty much ideas down. This is going to be somewhat big/small in a way that it'll hold one chair. We're following this guide http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res...5bN6E9ZdW8lEIA
    and what I want to know is what would be good for the plastic sheet that gets blown up....it says polyethylene, but i have no clue where to get that. I was thinking maybe shower curtain...

Anyways we were also thinking of putting a fan on it so it'd go forwards/backwards, and maybe somehow side to side, altho probably slowly, but still it'll be fun.

Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks

Wes

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Switch_ View Post

... make a science booth that we'll be showing off in our cafeteria at lunch one day
    Oh, man...this is SUCH fertile ground for a major GROSS-O-RAMA...all scientific an' stuff, o' course...

Are you locked on an idea, or would you care for some more input?

The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!

Well we kinda are, but more input wouldn't hurt.

Check out this guide to making a hovercraft:

http://downloads.oreilly.com/make/wp_shovercraft.pdf

It even has the links where to buy most of the supplies. Here is something to consider as well, while a corded leaf blower will certainly do the job, a gas one is a lot more mobile! I just remember when a few kids built a hovercraft when I was in high school that cord really held back what could have been an awsome hovercraft.

Blog Entries
    How about showing how a Thermite reaction works 8:3.
    Last edited by Shipuuden; March 27th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
    You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Well, since this IS in the cafeteria, maybe you could do a graphic display about the Human Digestive System.

You could have a video display showing one of those x-ray videos of a person chewing, showing the masticated food slopping down their gullet; then you could show the stomach contents as they are digested. Don't forget some nice juicy pics of the liver and kidneys, you can get those off of some autopsy site. Explain their functions, in detail.

Then, we sail merrily to the large intestine; show the digested stuff moving through all those tubes. Intersperse with a video of a demonstration of just how LONG that large intestine is (again, from an autopsy site, you could obtain a nice scene of one being extracted from a corpse. Don't worry, the corpse won't mind, he/she is done with it anyway.)

Now we explore the miracle of Peristalsis, where the remains of the food have been combined with the waste products of the liver, and is excreted. Be sure to show this process (I believe our German friends can supply video of this over the internet, they're quite focused on that sort of thing, if you know what I mean)

BINGO! A fascinating presentation directed at the very people (dining in the cafeteria) who are participating in this very process!

I see an Oscar in your future, _Switch_!

The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!

Hmm, although that does sound very interesting, bio just isn't my thing. So I think I'm going to stick to the hovercraft idea.

Just a question tho, for shawshanks, if we can't buy a leaf blower (since it's kinda dumb to me to waste 100 bucks on a project) would a shop vac work, I've seen guides say yea, just wond4ering your thoughts.

As well, what kind of explanation would we do, like just what are hovercrafts, what they're used for, etc?

I never actually built a hovercraft, I've only seen it put together roughly at school. I'm not really sure to the schematics and operations of it, but I suppose it could work. Nonetheless, I'd definetly do some more research into that.

Yea, I've definietely been doing a bunch of research, and it looks like it'll weork out well.

What I'd like to know though, is what kind of info should we put on our booth bulletin thingy. Just like general stuff about hovercrafts. How they work ,etc ?

The main things I would go for are:

1) How you built it (take pictures!)
    2) The science behind how a hovercraft works
    3) Have something about how hovercrafts are used today

And make sure to cite references, its the academically responsible thing to do!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information