+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Breaks on my car squeak very loudly!

I don't know why, but lately the rear brakes on my car have been squeaking so loudly the first 2-3 stops that it is deafening. After the first 2-3 stops the squeak goes away. It seems to do this if I let it sit even for a few hours (if I work for 6 hours and come back to my car it will squeak again once I use it).

I just popped off the left side rear wheel and break (its a drum break) and the pads and drum look semi new, they are hardly worn down at all...

When I bought this car a week ago the guy said that the car had not been used in quite a while, so I am thinking that maybe the top layer on the pads are bad. If I use the e-brake to wear some of it down, would the squeaking go away (I have not gotten into breaks much, so I don't know why they keep squeaking)?

What can I do other than buy new drums and pads (which I don't really want to do since they are rather new looking)?
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

First, find the squeak:

Spray (irrigate, actually) the front breaks with water and see if it stops. If it does it's the front brakes, if it doesn't it's the back brakes.

If it's the front, there is a couple of things you can do. There are anti-squeak springs in some brakes that may have been left out, or you can use a anti squeak compound between the brake piston and the brake pad. It's OK to lightly sand the brake pads.

Rear brakes:
    Pull off the drums and lightly sand them - hit the ridges on the inside face of the drum where the bolt holes are. Clean the whole works with a break cleaner compound. It's ok to lightly sand the brake shoes also.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; April 14th, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

Blog Entries
    It's the rear breaks, I tried using the e-break to find out if it was the rear or not and they did squeak.

I am going to replace the front breaks very soon as they are worn down pretty good.

There is very little wear on the rear breaks...there are no ridges or anything (the wear on the drum is probably about 3/64 of an inch compared to the end area where the break pads did not touch.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Member
    check the brake cylinder isn't weeping brake fluid and getting on the
    brake pads

or maybe get the drums turned down

Blog Entries
    I tried wearing the pads down by using the e-brake earlier today, and after I left work 7 hours later the squeaking was much less than it was before.

So I used the e-brake a bit more to wear it down a bit and am going to see how it is tomorrow.

Hopefully it is just from the breaks not being used in so long and will go away.

Oh, and the cylinder isn't leaking fluid.

How worn are the pads? Mine squeeked when they were bout done, got em changed... When batt died i didnt drive it for a month by the time i got around to gettin elec work done, they were a bit squeeky from sitting around, but cleared up after a week or 2 of regular driving.

Blog Entries
    The pads on the drums are basically new.

Sounds like the shoes may need to have the glaze knocked of them. Chuckiechan has some good advice. You could give them a few passes with some sand paper. Or another way to "wear" of the glaze would be to bring the car to about 45mph, and then braking to a stop with medium to firm brake force. Repeat the stop about ten times, allowing a full one-minute cooling off period in between stops to avoid overheating the brakes. Naturally, this procedure must be done in a safe and traffic free place.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Blog Entries
    Yep that is basically what I did...except I went slower and just used the e-break (so I only wore down the rear pads)...and that I didn't have it stop, but kept going (I held it for about 3 seconds tops at half force, just enough so that I could feel it slowing me down a bit).

And now, my squeaks are cured (well, there is a hint of it left, but that will either be gone soon, or never go away).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information