+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are tracers in your vision?

Always wanted to know this so I thought I'd ask the community.

After a very hard sneeze or coughing spell there sometimes are tracer dots in your peripheral vision for a few seconds. The closest analogy I can come up with is randomly swimming sperm, somewhat kaleidoscopic for a second. What causes this? Is it momentary 02 starvation to the brain affecting vision like G-LOC pulling G's in a plane? It's nowhere near blacking out or fainting.

Just being curious and inquisitive. Maybe a linky too. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Very good question... I shall sit back and watch for an answer!

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Misplaced sperm...swam from the balls under your head to the balls in your head. They get confused sometimes, like whether or not to impregnate a woman.

Great question!

The "stars" are a result of a mechanical stimulation of the normally light-stimulated rods and cones in the retina. Rather than the light uncoupling rhodopsin to opsin and retinal, the bump uncouples them mechanically. Pressure caused by a sneeze or cough can also mechanically stimulate the photoreceptors. The final result is that "light spots" are seen.

From http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/q1999.html#q44

~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

BBA
    Blood pressure increase when sneezing causes the iris rods and cones to freak out I think...maybe optic nerve stimulation as well.

A freind of mine popped his eyes out of socket once when he held a sneeze in...so don't hold sneezes in, it's bad for you.
    BBA

Quote Originally Posted by BBA View Post
    A freind of mine popped his eyes out of socket once when he held a sneeze in...so don't hold sneezes in, it's bad for you.
    WHAT THE FUCK?
    That not even possible is it?

Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    WHAT THE FUCK?
    That not even possible is it?
    Not as far as I know. Your eye is attached by all kinds of muscles.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hrm i thought you were talking about floaters

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/floaters.html

Quote Originally Posted by Martoch View Post
    Great question!

The "stars" are a result of a mechanical stimulation of the normally light-stimulated rods and cones in the retina. Rather than the light uncoupling rhodopsin to opsin and retinal, the bump uncouples them mechanically. Pressure caused by a sneeze or cough can also mechanically stimulate the photoreceptors. The final result is that "light spots" are seen.

From http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/q1999.html#q44

This man speaks the truth. There could, however, be something else causing similar results. There can, in fact, be small particles of dust or other small items which can also be trapped in your eye which are known as "floaters." These are can either appear as light or dark shapes that are usually out of focus. These also are more commonly seen after eye and head movement and not necessarily sneezing which (as martoch said) can mechanically cause the light spots...

I learned about both phenomena in my Lighting design course. However, I am still unsure why, for some people, prolonged breath holding (or intense physical workout causing shortness of breath) can cause similar stars...
    I don't like signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post

Darn your speed...
    I don't like signatures.

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoch View Post

(Silly Alert: the following is just silly. Check your TIMO Owner's Manual, it'll warn you about me.)

Let me tell you about "bumps"... I was arguing a fine point of ethical aesthetics in a bar with a fellow of disgraceful argumentative abilities.

In short, I was winning the argument.

Suddenly, I was struck from behind by the guy's wife. (seems her visual cognitve abilities had been somewhat blurred by all the "Night Train" she'd ingested. )

So anyway, I, with stars in my eyes from the blow to the back of the head, stated the following:

"Madame, I don't mind at all the phenomenon of light uncoupling rhodopsin to opsin and retinal in my eyes, in fact, I ENJOY it. But your deliberate whap to the back of my cranium has uncoupled them MECHANICALLY, and I shall require a huge cash settlement in a court of law, as redress to this dreadful..."

And I woke up in a nice hospital room.

The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!

Ohh so thats what they are called. I thought i had bad medical problems. XD
    Intel Core i7 950@ 4.0Ghz
    EVGA GTX570 Superclocked 1280MB
    6GB Cosair PC3-10700 9-9-9-24

LMAO nice story Knothead. I in the other hand would have handled that diffrently.
    Intel Core i7 950@ 4.0Ghz
    EVGA GTX570 Superclocked 1280MB
    6GB Cosair PC3-10700 9-9-9-24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post

Floaters FTL. I have a few. I have learned to mostly disregard them, but they are still there nonetheless.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Quote Originally Posted by AznPoolPro View Post
    LMAO nice story Knothead. I in the other hand would have handled that diffrently.
    Hahaha, I'm sure you would have, but...I made it all up.

Just for fun, 'kay?

The name "Knothead" on a post is your assurance of a quality post, carefully half-baked using only the finest ingredients!

Quote Originally Posted by RobRich View Post
    Floaters FTL. I have a few. I have learned to mostly disregard them, but they are still there nonetheless.
    Oh, yes. "Floaters" are caused by blunt trauma to the face/head, and are the disconnected "web lines" that adhere the retina to the back of the eye. The pieces of that 'web' float around inside the fluid inside of the eye, causing these "floaters".

I had an accident that resulted in this phenomenon, and it's a serious threat to your vision (read: Detached Retina)

Mine wasn't too bad, but if you are experiencing this, do your eyesight a favor and get to an Opthamologist and check it out.

Seriously. If it's a bad case, you could lose vision in the affected eye.

Blog Entries
    I have had floaters for nearly as long as I can remember, and I regularly see eye care professionals due to my nearsightedness. Floaters are actually quite common for nearsighted people, and they can be naturally occurring instead of a result of physical trauma.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Ultimate Member
    I have had floaters for nearly as long as I can remember, and I regularly see eye care professionals due to my nearsightedness. Floaters are actually quite common for nearsighted people, and they can be naturally occurring instead of a result of physical trauma.
    I have a couple of floaters and I have never had any head trauma. I am near sighted though.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar

Good idea !

Vitreous floaters should never be taken lightly.

in the center of vision, they can be a bleed, or a macular problem.

in the periphery, they can be a sign of the retina pulling away from the eye and maybe a beginning retinal detachment.The only place the vitreous humor is attched to the eye is at the extreme periphery, and if it pulls away, it can cause a retinal detachment..

Not too clear as to what you are talking about, but you should see an opthomologist. Really.

DOOOOG
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; April 26th, 2007 at 01:00 AM.

What are the long stringing tissue that sometimes collects on the surface of your eyes? Sometimes I get really long ones that I pull out of my eye and can be as long as 2-3 inches. They get really annoying as they are large enough to cover my pupil and actually blind me if they get in the correct spot. I have to rub my eyes and pull them out to get rid of them, they don't ever dissolve away or anything.

Or are those the floaters mentioned above? I am nearsighted and had a head injury when I feel off my bike when I was younger (Knocked out for 5 minutes)
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information