+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dying rat...

Unhappy dying rat...

my pet rat Cowboy is dying i think. it is so sad as it can barely breathe and can hardly move. vets cost way more $$ than i can afford, but i cant bring myself to put it out of its misery. the only quick, painless way i can think of or would be capable of would be to shoot it, but rats are small, and bullets are big, and rat+bullet=big mess. i really want it to be healthy again, but looks like it will not make it untill morning. i fell really bad for not taking it to the vet, but i really cant afford it. i guess i just needed to vent a little...thanks
    Visit http://duroo.org

Hey, I have been there before. I have lost many beloved friends in the past...............
    Cats are angels with fur!

well, its official. cowboy died about 15 minutes after i started this thread.
    oh well, she was a good rat...

That's really horrible man

I always thought a rat would be a cool pet.....they are pretty smart right? But I didn't want to clean up the p00....

yeah they're smart, i had my rats potty trained LOL. i have another one named kernel, so she is all alone now.

hahaha, how'd you do that? I'd really like to know how you potty train

what you do is,and it works best if they are young rats, is just put them in they're cage for the first time and let them crap everywhere. then when you clean they're cage, put some of the old bedding along with a few rat raisins in a small shallow dish of some kind and place it in the cage. also use two different types of bedding between the cage and litter tray. from then on they will go in the tray when nedded(most of the time anyway.
    )

Yeah, I had a few birds, my family and I went to church in the morning, we come back and find him on the bottom of the cage , he was a finch, the other finches were fine though.

-HawkEye-
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul. Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    HellenicGenocide.org

Rats are smart and clean.

I had a rat, Speck, and he lived in my nightstand drawer next to my bed. He had an open top aquarium with paper/wood shavings that he would go into and "do his business" in the corner. He lived in the drawer that was always half open. At night he curl up next to me to sleep. I was always afraid I was going to squish him but I figured he'd bite me if he had to.

He would come when called...for the most part. He obviously knew his name let's put it that way...but like a cat he could choose to ignore me if he wanted.

Other than the first few weeks he never needed to be caged. He was free to roam my room when I was gone. And he did. I would find t-shirts, towels, and once even a long and heavy terrycloth bath robe all wadded up and smushed into his drawer. He was quite a character. Kinda like a miniture dog.

Anyways, just thought I'd share some rat memories with ya in hopes of cheering you up a little cracked. I know how ya feel.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sounds like he got cancer. i had 4 rats and they all got it and died. really sad. we took the first two rats to the vet and they took the cancer out and it came back. the doctor explained to us that when all rats get older they all get cancer. does your rat have any weird bulges on it?

neverless i loved my rats. wish i taught them to be potty trained.

I'm sorry to hear that cracked. It's tough to lose a pet.

Germ
    How do you set this laser printer to stun??

sorry about your rat, we used to have rat pets too, theyre like a little dog and just as smart. yeah, most died of cancer.....
    my signature was so lame i deleted it.

mine was only about 4 months old so it may not have been old enough to develope cancer. i think it may have had some kinda respiratory disease or infection.

I know how it feels, i had 3 rat's myself and one of them has died 3 months ago, people always say that you can't really love a rat but i don't care how big a pet is

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Originally posted by GohanSSJ
    I know how it feels, i had 3 rat's myself and one of them has died 3 months ago, people always say that you can't really love a rat but i don't care how big a pet is
    ...you just love them critters anyway.

My youngest Daughter (Alena) loves to keep parakeets, rats, and now a guinea pig, as pets; and for about a year, she had the most extraordinary rat. This tiny creature was extremely affectionate with humans, and she would roam the house at will. The cats accorded her free rein, in fact, I suspect she managed to make friends with them, too.

She passed away at about 14 months, and I was so affected, I wound up making her a little Pine coffin, and we buried her in the backyard. Made Alena feel better.

It sucks losing a pet.....

I had a ferret (Sammy) that would sleep on the bed with me and had free roaming privileges in a few rooms after it was litter trained. Licked the occasional (almost)empty beer can was left on the table from the night before, scared people that had no clue what he was , hissed at me for putting a soft drink up out of his reach.... I have to say he was the best pet I had ever had....I got him when I moved out on my own for the first time....he was my companion..

I came home one day when someone left the door open and the german shepards got a hold of him.....Needless to say the dogs took a well deserved beating.....me getting bit in the process...

Broke my heart about losing him though....I got another one about a year later, but it wasn't the same....So, I gave it away....I don't think I could get another one......I would rather remember him as he was....

Sorry to hear about the loss Cracked......
    No one dies a virgin, Life screws us all.

I've lost many a hamster. Make him as comfortable as possible.

I'm really sorry man.

Unhappy Daisy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I've lost many a hamster. Make him as comfortable as possible.

I'm really sorry man.
    My Rat Daisy is dying too. over the last 3 nights she is getting worse and worse. She looks just like stuart little. I am sooo sad and can't afford to take her to the vet either. she has this huge lump on her chest and this big round lumpy scab thing on her back too. It looks like she is bleeding from the eyes and nose on top of it. Im freaking out because I can't figure out what I can do. I think Im gonna give in and at least call a vet....

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At least call, so they can verify it's cancer and not something contagious. It may sound cruel, but if the creature is suffering, then it would be best to put it out of its misery.
    All 1.21 of them.

Ultimate Member
    This thread revival has inspired Bill 38C!

Minimum Post Count Required to Revive Old Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information