+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lost-and-found View Post
    Wow, haha, old thread. I don't even remember what happened to those jeans. I think I wore them a few more times and then gave them to a thrift store since I couldn't get the smell to go away. All I know is I have to be very careful of buying black clothing since some of it uses dyes which produce a "burnt-match" smell to me. The interesting thing is not all people can smell that odor, even on clothing that reaks of it to me.
    You could probably get on with the Sheriff's Dept down here in Mississippi . A good hound is always worth his room and board.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy themĖwipe them out!

Thumbs up I love search

Just picked up a pair of Levis 505 jeans, black, and I can't get the smell out. Found this thread. It's saving me the hassle of even trying anymore. They're going back to the store. Thanks, intarwebs!

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lost-and-found View Post
    Wow, haha, old thread. I don't even remember what happened to those jeans. I think I wore them a few more times and then gave them to a thrift store since I couldn't get the smell to go away. All I know is I have to be very careful of buying black clothing since some of it uses dyes which produce a "burnt-match" smell to me. The interesting thing is not all people can smell that odor, even on clothing that reaks of it to me.
    "The interesting thing is not all people can smell that odor, even on clothing that reaks of it to me."

Gee, lost-and-found, did you know that DooGs have an Olfactory epithelium that is about 5,000 times as sensitive as humanoids, not to mention our Rhinoencephelon is cool.

Are you part DooG?

I would be happy to assit you in all your Cloathing buying needs through my Subsidiary partnership with Monsieur Sneakers.

Provided you do three things:
    1) Come to NYC as I am not going to Illinois for any reason;
    2) Agree to "Buy American";
    3) Pay my taxi and Lunch money;
    4) Not tell anybody about your experience.

If this agreable...wait!
    I am still stuck in a snow bank!
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; March 4th, 2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Creative Orthography...errr, Diction.
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Bad smell jeans

I bought a pair of Joker Brand Jeans from Ross for my 11 year old and they have that same smell. Its awful. I can't stand it. I tried bleach even pinesol. I need help, if this is a chemical smell I sure in hell don't want my kids wearing them. Anyone out there have any ideas what to do? If not they are going in the trash.

SOLUTION!!!:)

I have the same problem so I asked my sister and she said hers smelled really bad too. She said to rub lotion all over your legs (the good smelling kind) right before you wear them so the smell will seep into the jeans. I smelled her jeans and they smell soooo good:3

Unhappy

I had the same problem with Lee Riders bought at Walmart. Just when I think the smell has gone away, I'll wear them and it seems my body heat activates the smell or something. Even tho other people don't seem to notice until I draw their attention to it. Very frustrating because these jeans fit better than the last few pairs I have bought.

I sometimes use products like lysol concentrate, BIZ, Mule Team 20, and Mint oil. I've not encountered the jean problem but I do wash a lot. BTW, I really hate dryer sheets. They can clog your lint with a film that is a fire hazard. I really like the mint oil in the wash, it stays right thru drying and is very pleasant. Good Luck to y'all.....

Off to watch "my" game......

Blog Entries
    Heya Sweet! Happy to see ya' still around!

Harder

Soak them in vinegar water (1 part vinegar 10 parts water) give or take. A little extra vinegar won't hurt. Then wash them alone normally....No fabric softener.
    It's the chemicals that make the jeans dark that also make them smell like sulphur. This really works. Good Luck!

So I randomly decide to check back here and what do I see? An 8 year old thread of mine. It's still alive (as am I) .

Some things never die. But I'll bet those jeans are no longer with us.

But the smell lingers....
    Bill Clinton: "I chose other women over Hillary. You should too!"

I have used vinegar, baking soda, febreze, hot water wash, normal wash, borax, leaving them to hang dry and leaving them in the sun. I cannot get the smell out. How is this even possible...... I have soaked them overnight with each product. I'm starting to think there is no way to remove the smell...... This is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Mstenz; November 14th, 2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Try Tec-Nu soap should do the trick. I purchased a pair of dark jeans and they had a distinct smell. The jeans also had a waxy residue. I tried salt, vinegar, oxyclean. Nothing worked. The waxy feel got me thinking about this soap I had used to get poison ivy off clothes. It worked! The strange thing was all the excess dye that showed up in the water. Wash the TecNu out in a regular wash.

Manufacturers put formaldehyde (a carcinogen) and pesticides into the fabric. They then use more chemicals to bind the dyes to the cloth. Many of these chemicals breakdown in the presence of light and oxygen, which leads to a simple and obvious solution to the problem:

Try hanging the garment outside on a sunny day. I know this works for fabrics contaminated with naphthalene (mothballs). Itís an old-fashioned solution that our grandparents probably knew about, but isnít very obvious to us in our high tech world.

You know that old adage, sunlight is the best disinfectant? Thereís a lot of truth to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information