+ Reply to Thread
    Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar

Wink VERIZON vs. Time-WARNER: Which Would you Pick?

Verizon is making a big play on its Fiber Optics Network; Time-Warner Counters with "we had Fiber for a decade".

Actually, it's the "last 100ft." that verizon has Fiber that stops at the building line under Time-Warner.

I'm tinking of dropping one of two telephone lines and replacing with T-W in a pakage dael --or verizon.

Any real differences in price, quality, reliabilty etc. All telephone providers seem to specialize in complicating and obfuscationg the situation in their best inter$t.

Which would you choose ?

MegalosSkylaki
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Blog Entries
    Is the Verizon service via its FiOS offering. If so, then I would recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

Quote Originally Posted by DooG
    All telephone providers seem to specialize in complicating and obfuscationg the situation in their best inter$t.
    Telephone companies are highly regulated, such as having to provide certain uptimes and quaity of service. Cable companies are regulated, but usually with considerably less rigerous standards. Case in point, say you can't call 911 with your cable-provided VoIP phone. AFAIK, it legally can be treated like a cable outage instead of a POTS outage, meaning somebody might get around to looking at the problem in a few days.

As for delivering VoIP over DSL or fiber via a telephone provider, that further mucks up the regulatory issues. The telecom industry needs some serious regulatory overhauls.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Yeah, it would be FIOS if I went with Verizon. The trouble is my building, like most in NYC, is wired for Time-Warner.
    But there must be people who are getting Verizon POTS, so worth a shot.

Ha ha . This post seems to have bought out both Verizon and Time-Warner advertising !

I wish they would spend more advertising dollars explaining stuff , instead of having to see the Verizon super-geek five times a day..
    no wonder telCom companies are so confusing --I thought it was deliberate..THEY are confused themselves !

Not worried about 911...have two land lines (want to get rid of one) and two cell-phones.

Would like to get TV + a Phone +Broadband on one confusing Bill instead of three confusing bills

GEEKDOOG
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Verizon. The FiOS is quality internet and television and phone. Plus, my mom has a bunch of stock in 'em.

Angry Time Warner Support is Terrible

I have Time Warner Cable. My internet was out for 2-3 days before they could send a repairman to fix it (after waiting through countless self-help guides and being on hold forever). They gave me a 4 hour time window. When the repairman came he confirmed we have no signal coming in. He asked me where the cable came from. I said I wasn't sure. He said "Well, you are going to have to HELP ME here. Call your super and find out." Turns out its in the shared backyard of my apt building. The key getting into the backyard was stuck. After 5 minutes of attempting to get in, I try contacting a neighbor. As I am doing this, he starts walking away impatiently saying, he can't stay here and wait and has to go. As I plead with him to stay just another 5 minutes, he ignores me and continues walking, hops in his van and speeds away. I call to set up another appointment (and figure out how to get in the backyard in the meantime). I explain the situation and now have to wait another day for this to get fixed. Apparently the repairman said he stayed waiting for a half hour on his report. I ask the Time Warner employee, "don't you think it would be a good idea to inform people that they need access to the cable box to their apt building / house when you are setting up appointments?" He implied there was nothing he could do about it (wait, aren't you one of the people who makes appointments, seeing as you just made one for me), and gave me the website where I could file complaints. Yeah, great... a website seeing as I need the internet.

I am a web developer. My business is based on having the internet. This is unacceptable.

Blog Entries
    um, I have to agree that I dislike cable company service. However, it's kind of obvious that you would need access to the things he would need to fix.

"I called a plumber to fix my hot water tank and that dumbass actually told me when he got there that he needed to get to the hot water tank!"

I'd rather have FIOS, my reasoning might be flawed but I've been running into repeated problems with the cable company screwing up component upgrades in my area and blaming it on my equipment. The service isn't so bad when I get through the first tier but it just takes too long to do. There's been about 10 instances where they claimed my hardware was broken and eventually we figured out they had something screwed up.

Direct fibre means everything you're getting is digital data, and less hardware to fail.

While not in your location I will say I've been extremely please with Time Warner's internet+phone service but actually GETTING the service was a big pain the rear. I specifically took time off work at the end of a day to have the guy come out to my house and what happens...he doesn't show up. Well I then had to wait another WEEK because that was the next available appointment. Suffice to say I was completely livid that because of their incompetent tech not showing up to the appointed time, I had to go another week without connectivity. This was actually the primary reason I got DirectTV because TW was taking too damn long to get to me.

Since that debacle, the internet has been snappy 99% of the time with that 1% being random slow downs for about 10 minutes. Latency is good in games online and download speeds are as expected. Oddly enough recently I've been testing my connection speed to various servers across the country via speedtest.net and I've been getting 15-20Mb/sec!!!!! I was shocked but its been confirmed by random testing over the past couple of weeks so now Im very happy
    YAH! I knew you'd be jealous

Fiber Optics would be great...if it were all the way throughout the house. As it is now, Fiber "can" go up to the house, but switches to copper from there. I have worked for Time Warner and they are decent. I would have to try Verizon and see how they work out. Have you considered ATT Uverse? If so, PM me and I can give you alot of info about them. I wonder who i work for now?? Uverse is really a good service. I wouldnt get the VOIP system yet...they have some bugs to work out. But the Video and HSIA <High Speed Internet Access> is just totally outstanding.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

Would pick Verizon Fios but they do not offer it in my area. I have Verizon DSL and it is so slow.

I had cable a few years back and with the old lines in the area had more outages than innages, so I really don't trust the cable version yet since it is on those same old lines.

Guess it is just where you live that will help you decide.
    Vi per Concordiam

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Talking Ha Ha Ha Arff Arff

Someone with a gripe against Time Warner found my post from Dec. 08 and revived it under one-post moniker timewarnerbad

Nice to know I'm still being read!

Actually, since that time I took the Triple Pak from TW..
    Verizon FIOS not available in my buiilding's kennel...

First cable guy had cold (thnX) arrivede two hrs. early and flew through it in 5 mins..Installed the Broadband in wrong comp.

Second guy much better..well, 'colds' do happen.

Anyhow, will study the ATT&T U-VERSE that poondoggy put up..
    we DooGs gotta stick together.

ThanX Doggy !

Truth be told, any company will need a "killer app" to get in Topp CaaT posisition.

Does any of the Big Three have one yet?

We'll see..

Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; May 30th, 2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: REWIRED BRAIN

HaHa, didnt even see the OP date. The killer app for Uverse is that HSIA upload speed is 1 meg on the low side and up to 1.5 upload on the high side.
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

Isn't Time Warner getting out of the cable business?

Blog Entries
    Verizon FIOS for sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information