View Poll Results: Would you replace the adapter?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would replace it! Safety first!

4 44.44%
  • No, I wouldn't bother replacing it, unless I could do it for free.

5 55.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Grounding Prong Broke Off - Replace?

I noticed upon getting to work the other day that a grounding plug was stuck in the wall socket. Sure enough, I looked at my laptop's AC adapter and it was missing the grounding plug.

*sigh*

Not knowing much electricity, I looked online and the general theme was that this plug was probably not at all important, but on the rare chance that something ever did short out, it could very well kill me, particulalry if I like to use the laptop while I'm sopping wet.

I also noticed that on the Dell website they sell the same adapter with both 2 and 3 prongs, so I can't imagine in would be THAT dangerous.

Would you spend the $30 to get a new adapter or would you not bother replacing it? I will likely stop using and replace this laptop in about a year anyway.

Brandon
    Last edited by brandon184; April 5th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

You'll be fine.

If that were a metal power tool or something to that effect, you might worry. But you're chance of electrocution from something completely encased in plastic is practically non-existent. It's not something a grounding prong would help anyway.

It's not uncommon for 3 pronged outlets in older houses and buildings to be ungrounded. Plugging your 3 pronged plug into one of those is no different than plugging your broken plug into a grounded outlet.
    Last edited by Gomer; April 5th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Wonderful!

Ultimate Member
    I would not use it with a broken prong. If they sell a two-prong version, it'll be wired differently internally.
    But I would choose option 3, since there's no reason to replace something that's easily repaired. Run down to the nearest hardware store & get a replacement plug, cut the old one off & install it. Should cost about $3

Of course, this won't work if it's a "power brick" with a built-in plug. But my Dell laptop & others I've seen have the transformer in the middle of the cord.

Gee and I use pliers to break them off of many plugs

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    Gee and I use pliers to break them off of many plugs

you been reported

http://www.osha.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    you been reported

http://www.osha.gov/

Dang I have the old prongs in a safe deposit box with my mattress tags....I hope I can find the key.

Hey! You can't do that! I'm one smart cookie, I finally got smart and just took the prong off of the power strip plug and left all the other on and plug them into the neutered powered strip now.

I would probably tell somebody else to replace it. But I wouldn't myself. If it's the kind with a cord, and some room to put on a replacement plug end, I would do that. But I wouldn't personally spend the money on an entirely new one, $30 is alot of beer. But I suggest you do...

I am pretty sure that if the ground prong breaks off of a power cord that is attached to a DC converter you don't need to worry; any power surge will be handled by the adapter
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes" Or Should I?
    Chapter 25, The Catcher in the Rye

Easy fix

Brandon,

Not sure if you've gotten an acceptable solution yet, but you can easily replace the wall plug end of the cord on your power supply and then not worry about getting electrocuted while using your laptop when sopping wet...

Just get a three prong plug from a hardware store ($1.99 ish), cut the plug off the cord right by the strain relief, and replace the plug. Make sure you connect the ground wire to the correct terminal on the plug (green for ground), and pay attention to the + and - and connect them the same way the old one was.

$1.99 plus 10 minutes of your time to not worry about getting electrocuted...probably worth it.

Welcome to Techimo.
    By the way the original post date was "April 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM"

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Date

That's nice -
    Some people search Google for the solutions to problems and find these forums (as I did recently when I had a problem similar to Brandon's, and before I figured out a solution on my own). I'm providing this information for such people, since it is not already out there. God only knows why people at tech support forums didn't immediately come up with the answer I just posted, but now anyone else with a similar problem can find the answer here. Isn't that the point of this?

Quote Originally Posted by lettheguydance View Post
    Brandon,

Not sure if you've gotten an acceptable solution yet,
    it appeared you were replying to Brandon, so I thought i would point out the date.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

the question now is: did brandon buy a new laptop? ;p

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by lettheguydance View Post
    That's nice -
    Some people search Google for the solutions to problems and find these forums (as I did recently when I had a problem similar to Brandon's, and before I figured out a solution on my own). I'm providing this information for such people, since it is not already out there. God only knows why people at tech support forums didn't immediately come up with the answer I just posted, but now anyone else with a similar problem can find the answer here. Isn't that the point of this?
    Don't sweat it... you did the right thing.

If the date of the posting was such a big deal, the threads would autolock after a certain amount of inactivity. There's no such thing as a dead thread... IMO

Ultimate Member
    I ended up getting a new plug for the same laptop, just because I found one for free.

B

Not Really a Member
    curious

is the ground plug still stuck in the outlet?
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

Ultimate Member
    I have no idea. Since it happened over a year ago I only vaguely remember what office I was working in, but I'm sure that it's stuck in something, whether that be a wall outlet or a surge protector. Lord knows I wouldn't reach in to fish it out.

grounding plug broke off car plug in

the 3rd prong broke off the plug to our vehicle and we are plugging it in with snow on and around it - we're standing in snow. Isn't this dangerous? My husband tells me it's not but I wonder if he loves me still.

Blog Entries
    Is it heavy wet snow? Or is it light dry snow? Maybe it's snow out of a can!

My rule of thumb is, if it came with a grounding plug, it was put there for a reason.

Having said that, If it wasn't heavy wet snow, I wouldn't worry much about it and would replace it when I have time and/or money.

If it's heavy wet snow or rain . . . I'd guess hubby's love is gone and he's looking for a cheap way out.

Harder

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information