+ Reply to Thread

Statute of Limitations and how they apply to the internet?

We always hear about famous people talking about how they used to do drugs or this and that, and the reason they aren't arrested is because the statute of limitations has run up (or so my understanding is).

What are the different statutes of limitations?

Also, how are these applied to posting online?

I mean, if some person would come to TechIMO and admit to something like using drugs, committing murder, or even child abuse, do these things count as a confession, and assuming the statute of limitation isn't up, would the police track these people down?

I am just curious as to how the supposed "internet anonymity" and the law interact. It seems like it could be very simple or very complicated. Anyone know?
    I don't like signatures.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Murder has none! they can and will charge you at any time
    Rap/Molestation child abuse AFAIK is about 20 yrs
    drugs if they can't prove it then you are free but limitation wise i think is 7-10yrs depends on the charges

an online confession unless they can show its from you is meaningless
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Thanks for some input. That last part is what I was thinking, but the reason I was curious about this in the first place was that another website I was on said that any accounts of any crime would be reported to the proper authorities. I was wondering what kind of limitations that could have. I mean, sure a website can get your time and IP, but they can't actually prove which individual typed it. Of course, the same thing could be said about pirating music, but they still seem to find a way to prosecute people based on IP address.
    I don't like signatures.

zen
    Butch, have you killed someone?

I was wondering what kind of limitations that could have. I mean, sure a website can get your time and IP, but they can't actually prove which individual typed it.
    The cops etc sure would have someone to watch/question and gather evidence against....
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    The cops etc sure would have someone to watch/question and gather evidence against....
    Yeah pretty much, they gather your ip then track computer usage, subpoena usage info from your isp ect. Depending on what "you" admit to it can still be used as evidence in court, so long as they can show that that screen name belongs to you. You can argue it wasn't you, but then AFAIK burden of proof falls back on you to show someone "pretended" to be you.

In the case of music pirating (at least some cases) they actually look at the ip of the computer sharing files, track that user then get warrants to watch the packets being sent by your pc and check your pc for those files.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

In most cases the statute of limitations varies from state to state. It also applies to civil as well as criminal matters.

For example, here are the Statute of Limitations on Debts by state. They vary by the type of debt, oral, written, promissory, or open-ended accounts, anywhere from 3-15 years. In many states written and promissory debts can be extended beyond the statute of limitations by a judge. Oral and open-ended accounts (CC's) can not. AFAIK

Here is the statute of limitations for fraud by state, varies anywhere from 1-10 years. This would likely apply to internet fraud as well.

Yeah pretty much, they gather your ip then track computer usage, subpoena usage info from your isp ect. Depending on what "you" admit to it can still be used as evidence in court, so long as they can show that that screen name belongs to you. You can argue it wasn't you, but then AFAIK burden of proof falls back on you to show someone "pretended" to be you.
    I think that would be vary similar to the scenario with a camera catching your car going through a stop sign. The ticket would be issued to you, the owner of the car. If you claim you weren't driving the car, then who was? You would have to finger the driver in order to get yourself out of the ticket.
    Last edited by nomaxim; April 17th, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?
    -George Carlin

Thanks guys. Interesting topic indeed (well, at least to me )

And Zen, I have not killed anyone. Well, at least not that I know of.... lol But now you can be certain that if I did I would not be writing about it online!
    I don't like signatures.

I stole bubble gum from the corner grocer when I was seven!
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information