+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

When is a good time to go to Florida?

I aim to take the two boys to Florida next year, but I don't know when the best time to go would be. My aim is to be there when lines are light. I love the rides, but when the lines are long the whole affair tends to be far more tiring than enjoyable, so this is my primary priority - low attendance levels, or aiming to be (no guarantees are understood), is my primary objective in making the schedule of when to go.

Weather is not that big of a deal, but if short lines can be had during swimable weather that would be fantastic. Otherwise the first time around can be chilly, and we'll hit the more entertainment-orientated facilities - we can do the beaches next time.

Any Florida locals or regulars that know when we could get to the parks during off-peak attendance levels?

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Where are you looking to go? Disney World? We went this Christmas season and it was pretty packed. Summer I would assume to be pretty crowded, too. Off-peak would probably be around October or maybe right around now.

If you're going further south, it doesn't matter when you go...the weather is always nice and the water always feels like a bath. Been to Key West in the summer...wasn't too bad at all weather-wise.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a local, but I did vacation in Florida for the two weeks before Thanksgiving and the lines at the amusement parks were nonexistant until Thanksgiving, then Sea World was swamped. The weather was also wonderful. Just my experience.

Blog Entries
    Well, I plan on taking 8 nights. We will be buying a 10-day park hopper pass for MGM/Magic Kingdom/Epcot/Animal Kingdom, so I would like to stay in that area for 4 days. We'll may only use half of that pass before we move on...but the unused days never expire so we'll save them for next time around given their low cost to add so many days.

I also plan on hitting Universal Studios & Sea World.

Any suggestions on "must see" attractions, or a fabulous hotel that the kids would be in awe of?
    Last edited by SiliconJon; April 20th, 2008 at 06:37 PM.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    The Grand Floridian, as you probably guessed, is the nicest hotel in the park. You really can't go wrong between that and the Polynesian. The Contemporary is kind of "cold" feeling, and your kids may not like it as much.

How old are the kids?

By the way, 4 days is not enough to see everything you want to see. The Animal Kingdom and MGM are about 30 minutes by bus from the Magic Kingdom, and when you're done eating, sleeping, walking and waiting in line, you don't have much time to do everything.
    Last edited by The Real Bingo; April 20th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    The boys are soon to be 8 & 9. The Grand Floridian does look fabulous, but maybe I should look for something really "cool" instead - a kid orientated hotel would be preferable.

I can't stress enough how I aim to be there when the lines are short, so hopefully we can take care of the highlights of each park in a day so long as crowds are small. Any agreements with before Thanksgiving or advise on other times of the year when crowds are small?

November, two weeks before Thanksgiving. Good weather, dirt cheap hotels and no lines.

Blog Entries
    Really, to be honest, just deal with the crowds and enjoy the summer weather, which is probably the way Florida is best experienced anyway. I have been at Disney on a record-setting attendance day, and the crowd was not bad enough to say it was a horrible experience. Disney is also getting better about dealing with lines assuming you are going mainly for the rides.

While in Orlando, check out International Dr. Lots of food, shopping, a water park, etc. It is not far from Disney, and in fact, it is only like two or three blocks from Universal.

http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

Of note, Cypress Gardens is not far outside of Orlando. Might be worth a quick visit if you have time.

http://www.cypressgardens.com/

With all that said, while the kids might love the trip, plan on it being a miserable experience for you. Unless you have some type of near miracle scheduling, you are likely going to feel tired and annoyed to hit as many attractions as you want in such a short span of time. If you come down when the weather is warm, take a day and go to a beach, preferably at the end of the trip, so you can can at least relax one day before dealing with returning home.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries
    I have heard that Disney is doing better with the line management for the rides - and yes, we are going primarly for the excitement, which puts rides at the top of the list.

Crowds seem to be the largest around Christmas & Thanksgiving vacation, Spring Break, and Summer vacation...so I'm looking to avoid those, but that will only help if there aren't a whole lot of other people landing in my time slot trying to do the same.

Before thanksgiving may be nice, though the threat of hurricanes and otherwise poor weather due to storms coming off the ocean may be a problem. I don't mind the rain - but if it shuts down the rides or makes it too chilly, it will hamper the fun factor.

I looks like a month prior or post* the summer vacation window may be best - good weather and reduced crowds. I don't mind taking the kids out of school for a week if it provides for a better time.

I looks like a month prior or post* the summer vacation window may be best - good weather and reduced crowds. I don't mind taking the kids out of school for a week if it provides for a better time.
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Right now(April 20) isnt bad 'tween Easter Break and School Year-End but rates are kicking up, then it's open season. Late Sept/October and early November is not bad when the majority of street rats are back hitting the books. Prices and airfare drops, yet the weather is still summery and hanging in there before daylight savings time. The 3-week October window is when I vacation and recommended by travel agencies.

Blog Entries
    How about never?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When is a good time to go to Florida?-never.jpg  
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

Blog Entries
    Never certainly is affordable...but I promised my kids I would get them to Disney World (*promise null and void should nuclear disaster, or similar, strike early).

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Right now(April 20) isnt bad 'tween Easter Break and School Year-End but rates are kicking up, then it's open season. Late Sept/October and early November is not bad when the majority of street rats are back hitting the books. Prices and airfare drops, yet the weather is still summery and hanging in there before daylight savings time. The 3-week October window is when I vacation and recommended by travel agencies.
    That's another factor I would like to optimize: cost. Money is definitely a finite object in my life. If I can save a few bucks without sacrificing much or any of the fun-factor I would love it.

I went last year ('07) during Columbus Day weekend, 4 days. The weather was hot with scattered showers, mostly sunny though. They had a record crowd for that weekend which in my opinion was not bad but a lot of hustling to get from one place to another though.

I stayed at the Caribbean resort, a 30-minute bus ride to the Magical Kingdom, which was the only place, we visited. I have two girls, 6 & 8, that is all they needed, and we did not even get to do all of that place in those two days. The Caribbean was not the greatest so on our next trip we plan to stay at one of the resorts on the mono-rail line, the Contemporary most likely but the Floridian is fanta$tic, maybe another trip.

I would suggest a rental because the food is expensive and rather bland so if you don't have a car you are a member of the captive audience. The food is not the only thing that is expensive so if you have other needs like beverages and other necessities then all the more reason to rent a car. It depends on what you can live with.

Come the end of the day you will be tired but your kids and their beaming smiles will make it all worth it.

Good luck.

ALD

Blog Entries
    Well, a vague time frame I have established. Now I need a hotel plan. One hotel would probably be best. The Grand Floridian is way out of my price range. I've been advised that the Pop Century is in sad need of updating, and aldtech states the Caribbean resort could have been better as well, and reviews for the Nickelodeon hotel are sub-par. I like his suggestion of a hotel on the mono-rail. The contemporary looks nice...a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but perhaps I can find a package deal or spend the last few days in another hotel in another town when we're done with Orlando.

Yes, I really like the Contemporary.

My family and i went to Disney right after this past Xmas. We stayed there from Dec 27 to Jan 5th. My 10 year old was on Xmas break, and i was on vacation so this was an ideal time for us to go. The parks really were not that bad as far as crowds. The weather was pretty reasonable as well 70's - 80's til the last 2 days we were there, they set a record for cold it got to a low of 28 degrees just in time to get me ready for coming home . We celebrated the new year at the MGM theme park, which was pretty cool. Universal Studios was the best park imo. If you do Universal just keep in mind it is a 2 day park. We really had a blast! I dont know what your budget is for hotels or what not. We rented a house in Davenpot, which is a stones throw away from Orlando. The price was really not that bad, it was $800.00 for 8 days 7 nights. The house was beautiful! 2 bedrooms,kitchen,dining room,laundry facility's, game room, in ground swimming pool heated.
    In order to save a couple of bucks i hit up the local Publix and made some breakfast lunch and dinner's. We went out to eat a few times, and there are specials at the theme parks which are all you can eat all day for $20 per person. Any way i will attach a few picture's of the house we stayed at.
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1208899057

http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1208899288
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1208899478

If you need any info on the house drop me a pm. It really was a good deal i got plenty more pics too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When is a good time to go to Florida?-florida-house.jpg   When is a good time to go to Florida?-frontroom.jpg   When is a good time to go to Florida?-swimming-pool.jpg  

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Im going to follow up on 2monsters post. If you want to rent a condo, house instead of a hotel, it can be cheaper, especially considering in the place your staying.
    http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...rlando/orlando

In two weeks, I'll be in Panama City on the beach in a very nice 2 bedroom condo for 125$ a night. A hotel that accommodates 6 people would of cost over 200$ a night in that area.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I was interested in the Contemporary because one of the sites stated rooms starting at $220 and the place looks fantastic...that's pushing my desired cost for a room by a bit, but I can't find a roomnight there for under $320 which is out of the budget. I would like the room/house/condo to be $165 or less per night. I was hoping for something more memorable, but that's looking too costly, so I may go with a condo/house rental and spend the money on events. That sounds like a good idea.

Man, I'm glad I'm getting a head start on this...talk about a lot of logistics for just a week+ of fun (unless I can just throw money at it).

A beach front condo would be superb...
    Last edited by SiliconJon; April 22nd, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Remember, be careful not to cut in lines at Disney.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

I always heard that super bowl Sunday is the best time for any public parks

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't miss Super Bowl Sunday, and if the lines are barren in the days surrounding it that would be great, also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information