+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Exclamation KFC Launches 'Kind of, Sort of' Vegan Sandwich

Canadian KFC stores now marketing vegetarian sandwich? Yes. Chock full of vegetarian ingredients? Yes. Cooked in the same deep fryer as meat? Ye....what?!

I live in Calgary, AB and I was really excited to try the new vegan KFC burger. I called my nearest location to see if they carried it and then asked them how they cooked it. They said they fry it up in the same fryer as the meat.

Source: Ecorazzi
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries
    I'll take mine with bacon!

With bacon, you say??

Blog Entries
    Does cooking it with meat make it non-vegan?
    You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipuuden View Post
    Does cooking it with meat make it non-vegan?
    Yes.

Vegan means absolutely no animal products or by-products are used.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Blog Entries
    Even if they had a dedicated fryer, which they probably won't, and even if they claimed to use that fryer for vegan products only I would not trust such to be the case.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Vegans - what the hell is their problem?

Different people have different ideals. IF a COMPANY CLAIMS that there is a "vegan" option on the menu, then it MUST conform to the vegan definition.

Mc Donalds lost a lawsuit very similar to the problem listed in this thread.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

I don't get why KFC would try to entice this consumer base. Their friggin' initials stand for Kentucky Fried Chicken. If I'm a vegan, I don't think of KFC for a quick bite. Is there actually a demand out there for vegan fast food chains?

Secondly, I have an issue with the site: "the latest in green gossip". Riddle me this: if cows fart methane, which is a greenhouse gas, and people eat cows, how is not eating a cow good for the environment? You'd think the greenies would want less methane. Fewer cows = less methane, am I right? Secondly, to not eat anything from an animal, vegans are reduced to eating plants, right? Well don't plants consume CO2, which is a "global warming" gas? Fewer plants = more CO2, which means more dreaded global warming!

So, in conclusion, save the environment: eat meat!
    Last edited by The Real Bingo; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Save a tree, eat a beaver!
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Blog Entries
    Bingo, most commercially-harvested animals consumed by humans eat plants - large quantities of plants. From both raw caloric intake and environmental standpoints, it would be more efficient for humans to simply eat plants, thus eliminating a potentially inefficient intermediate stage (animals).

With that said, a can of potted meat food product with crackers sounds like a good late night snack before bed.

From the potted meat product wiki:
    it is popular with military personnel
    LOL?

Blog Entries
    Just finished off a can. Armor brand this time around. I usually keep a few cans of potted meat food product in the pantry, sometimes even multiple brands, as different companies oftentimes use different recipes.

Potted meat food product was probably best back in the day when Armor used beef tripe and beef hearts as the primary ingredients. These days, the primary ingredient for Armor and many other brands is mechanically seperated chicken. Of note, Armor still uses beef hearts, but it is now listed further down the ingredient list.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Bingo View Post
    how is not eating a cow good for the environment? You'd think the greenies would want less methane. Fewer cows = less methane, am I right? Secondly, to not eat anything from an animal, vegans are reduced to eating plants, right? Well don't plants consume CO2, which is a "global warming" gas? Fewer plants = more CO2, which means more dreaded global warming!

So, in conclusion, save the environment: eat meat!
    I don't think you were kidding. Is that really your logic? Please tell me you are kidding.

If cows were of finite supply, you might be on to something. But a consumed cow is demand for cow. Cows are produced to meet the demand. Likewise for plants. A consumed plant is demand for plant which means more plant need to be produced.

But as for the actual nitty-gritty of beef production. From a random link (I'm not sure it's the best... but I'll get ya a better one if you want):
    U.S. Could Feed 800 Million People With Grain That Livestock Eat, Cornell Ecologist Advises Animal Scientists
    An environmental analyst and longtime critic of waste and inefficiency in agricultural practices, Pimentel depicted grain-fed livestock farming as a costly and nonsustainable way to produce animal protein. He distinguished grain-fed meat production from pasture-raised livestock, calling cattle-grazing a more reasonable use of marginal land.

Animal protein production requires more than eight times as much fossil-fuel energy than production of plant protein while yielding animal protein that is only 1.4 times more nutritious for humans than the comparable amount of plant protein, according to the Cornell ecologist's analysis.

Tracking food animal production from the feed trough to the dinner table, Pimentel found broiler chickens to be the most efficient use of fossil energy, and beef, the least. Chicken meat production consumes energy in a 4:1 ratio to protein output; beef cattle production requires an energy input to protein output ratio of 54:1. (Lamb meat production is nearly as inefficient at 50:1, according to the ecologist's analysis of U.S. Department of Agriculture statistics. Other ratios range from 13:1 for turkey meat and 14:1 for milk protein to 17:1 for pork and 26:1 for eggs.)

Animal agriculture is a leading consumer of water resources in the United States, Pimentel noted. Grain-fed beef production takes 100,000 liters of water for every kilogram of food. Raising broiler chickens takes 3,500 liters of water to make a kilogram of meat. In comparison, soybean production uses 2,000 liters for kilogram of food produced; rice, 1,912; wheat, 900; and potatoes, 500 liters. "Water shortages already are severe in the Western and Southern United States and the situation is quickly becoming worse because of a rapidly growing U.S. population that requires more water for all of its needs, especially agriculture," Pimentel observed.

Livestock are directly or indirectly responsible for much of the soil erosion in the United States, the ecologist determined. On lands where feed grain is produced, soil loss averages 13 tons per hectare per year. Pasture lands are eroding at a slower pace, at an average of 6 tons per hectare per year. But erosion may exceed 100 tons on severely overgrazed pastures, and 54 percent of U.S. pasture land is being overgrazed.

"More than half the U.S. grain and nearly 40 percent of world grain is being fed to livestock rather than being consumed directly by humans," Pimentel said. "Although grain production is increasing in total, the per capita supply has been decreasing for more than a decade. Clearly, there is reason for concern in the future.
    Last edited by Gomer; July 22nd, 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Check the forum, guys. This isn't DebateIMO.

Ugh, Rob, Why not keep cans of Tuna or chicken instead of that stuff?? Your heart, and most likely your toungue/taste buds will thank you for it.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Blog Entries
    I have cans of chicken. Cans of tuna. Cans of salmon. Cans of this. Cans of that. Even cans of SPAM. :yummy:

However, I occasionally like a can of potted meat. Yes, I used the work "like," as in I enjoy the flavor. It is pretty good with club or ritz crackers, but even saltines will work decently enough. It is also decent as a dip for corn chips.

Curious, have you ever tasted potted meat food product? Try a can of Armor potted meat sometime, as it is generally considered to be the "popular" brand AFAIK, though I oftentimes snack on other brands for variety. You might actually like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRich View Post
    I have cans of chicken. Cans of tuna. Cans of salmon. Cans of this. Cans of that. Even cans of SPAM. :yummy:

However, I occasionally like a can of potted meat. Yes, I used the work "like," as in I enjoy the flavor. It is pretty good with club or ritz crackers, but even saltines will work decently enough. It is also decent as a dip for corn chips.

Curious, have you ever tasted potted meat food product? Try a can of Armor potted meat sometime, as it is generally considered to be the "popular" brand AFAIK, though I oftentimes snack on other brands for variety. You might actually like it.
    Might need some of this one morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    I don't think you were kidding. Is that really your logic? Please tell me you are kidding.

If cows were of finite supply, you might be on to something. But a consumed cow is demand for cow. Cows are produced to meet the demand. Likewise for plants. A consumed plant is demand for plant which means more plant need to be produced.

But as for the actual nitty-gritty of beef production. From a random link (I'm not sure it's the best... but I'll get ya a better one if you want):
    U.S. Could Feed 800 Million People With Grain That Livestock Eat, Cornell Ecologist Advises Animal Scientists
    First off, I was joking...kind of. Secondly, who the hell cares? Thirdly...are you trying to convert me to veganism(?)?

BTW, if your little theory worked, there'd be no such thing as clear-cutting of forests.

Blog Entries
    It is not specifically for general body detox, but I have been known to occasionally use Body Gold Colon Clenz for a mild digestive tract scrubbing. It is a herbal blend of cascara sagrada, rhubarb root, black walnut, aloe vera, oregon grape, yellow dock, valerian, slippery elm, etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information