+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacement axle cost

So my car's front axle decided to start metal-to-metal grinding on me when I turned corners today, after several thousand miles of driving with a clicking CV joint. I had it towed to a local shop and am going to be hearing from them on Monday.

The part itself from NAPA is about $75 from what I was told unless it needs other things, but what am I looking at in terms of parts + labor from a shop? The driver of the tow truck said it's about an hours worth of labor to do it but I'm wondering what a ballpark figure is that I should stick around if I can negotiate.

The car is a 1995 Acura Integra LS with 203k on the body and who knows what on the rebuilt engine.

"IF" the tow truck drive is correct then it'd be one hour rate (35 dollars and up per hour) plus 75.00 .....Many shops will mark up the prices on the parts so keep an eye out for that.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    "IF" the tow truck drive is correct then it'd be one hour rate (35 dollars and up per hour) plus 75.00 .....Many shops will mark up the prices on the parts so keep an eye out for that.
    The hourly rate around here is $125 an hour for the mechanic, based on Chilton's . . . Several years ago, I paid $125 an hour just outside of Portland, so I'd expect it to be higher.

They'll probably also nail you for new CV Boots for both sides, as they'll be bad and the other CV Joint will also prove to be bad, at least according to them.

I'm guessing that by the time all is said and done, they'll give you an estimate of between $500 and $1,000 to get the front end of the car done.

If the brake pads look warn, they'll tag those as well and double the repair estimate above.

Make sure you approve the estimate and only authorize what you're willing to pay. Look carefully at any of the parts that they are recommending to be replaced.

Harder

Yea, I'd have to go with sharder with this one. Mechanic's hourly rates are quite expensive and I'm sure you're looking at a few hundred dollars at least to replace it at a shop.

If you're mechanically inclined, it's not a terribly hard job to replace an axle if you have the proper tools and a good guide like a Haynes or Chiltons.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Try $580+ due to the axle and wheel bearings.

This sucks!

Blog Entries
    Axle and wheel bearings?

I can not speak to your acura specifically but, however one can replace the axle with out changing bearings. unless your bearings are bad they probably don't need to be replaced as part of the job.

I just replaced the axle in my garage on the suzuki esteem and it took about 30 minutes from pulling out the jack to clean up.

you might want to check with another shop just to validate price. I would think you could get away for 250 to 300 as described and assuming the vehicle is not unusually difficult.

So my car's front axle decided to start metal-to-metal grinding on me when I turned corners today, after several thousand miles of driving with a clicking CV joint.
    Grinding and clicking can't be good for bearings...Another 75.00 tow job to another shop could easily add to total cost.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

zen
    Quote Originally Posted by sharder8 View Post
    The hourly rate around here is $125 an hour for the mechanic, based on Chilton's . . . Several years ago, I paid $125 an hour just outside of Portland, so I'd expect it to be higher.
    $125.00 an hour??? Where do you guys live bizzaro world?

$50-60 an hour here in PA max. $125.00 is robbery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Grinding and clicking can't be good for bearings...Another 75.00 tow job to another shop could easily add to total cost.
    Well Clicking is CV joint. Grinding may be bearing or just bad description of CV joint noises. I rarely see both bearing and cv go at the same time so I am suspicious.

As for mechanic prices here in Virginia I think we are at about 90+- dollars per hour as a high and median would be 60 to 70.
    Last edited by Epidemic; August 19th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

The clicking sound was the CV joint. IIRC, they first start clicking when turning then when going straight then they break. The CV joint should have been replaced ASAP after it started clicking. I suppose due to lack of grease they could have been the source of the grinding sound though I have never seen that before.

The grinding noise most likely was the wheel bearings. Again due to lack of grease.

Crap breaks in cars when they are not serviced or maintained properly.
    Last edited by Tramp429; August 19th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

zen
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramp429 View Post
    Crap breaks in cars when they are not serviced or maintained properly.
    Crap breaks whether or not its been maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    Crap breaks whether or not its been maintained.
    True that. Not a good investment. Plan on breakage. Good Maintaince(sp) pays off, but some cars seem bullet-proof. Others just suck.(IMO)

axles

So I know that this is a thread from almost a year ago, but I got both my front axles replaced on my '95 Honda Civic as well as had the oil changed all for $400 flat. Of course I have known my mechanic since I was 7 and I am now 22 but, you all need to get yourselves 'a guy'. Mine is at a Chevron in Louisville, KY. Good Luck!!

Ya, I had mine replaced (Toyota) for about 150 at the local garage place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelylulu22 View Post
    So I know that this is a thread from almost a year ago, but I got both my front axles replaced on my '95 Honda Civic as well as had the oil changed all for $400 flat. Of course I have known my mechanic since I was 7 and I am now 22 but, you all need to get yourselves 'a guy'. Mine is at a Chevron in Louisville, KY. Good Luck!!
    Honda Civic's are easy axles to replace . . .

$45 - $90 for rebuilt axle, half hour in the driveway per side, done!

Try that on a Ford Taurus and you'll still be working on the left side after one hour in the driveway. (3 blind bolts ^%$#!)

Harder

Quote Originally Posted by sharder8 View Post
    Honda Civic's are easy axles to replace . . .

$45 - $90 for rebuilt axle, half hour in the driveway per side, done!

Try that on a Ford Taurus and you'll still be working on the left side after one hour in the driveway. (3 blind bolts ^%$#!)

Harder

"3 blind bolts "

The bolts or the mechanic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    "3 blind bolts "

The bolts or the mechanic
    Left half shaft bracket, top back side, going from firewall side through bracket into back of engine. Can only find them by feel to get a socket on them. Can't see'm with car on a rack either.

Harder

Old thread, but I ended up getting the axle replaced, the CV joint/boot setup, and also a busted-off lugnut thread on one of the wheels (was driving around with three nuts, although the thread was still long enough to hit the nut hole).

$750+ is what it took. Also got a distributor at some point since that blew ($400+ with tow), and am going to replace my failing master cylinder that won't hold brake pressure, depending on the weather, but that's a $100 part for the new/not reman'd not including brake fluid and I can do it myself.

I still need a new serpentine belt (that long one) and my transmission fluid changed..
    then today in the 100* heat I realized the air probably needs to be charged..
    Mine has 95K on it.

Blog Entries
    Bearings now days are sealed and unserviceable on a lot of cars. It wouldn't surprise me if his acura was a sealed unit...those alone can cost big $$. Axles are cheap and relatively easy for the most part.

My truck has needed a new right front bearing for 2 years and I need to replace the timing belt tensioner.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information