+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    out here, I've noticed in the dead of night the engineers blow the horn excessively & unnecessarily but during the day your lucky if you hear it as much when they go through...

annoys me at night when playing online, I always get comments on Teamspeak like "Who the hell is that, sounds like their in Grand central station..." if ones going through when I'm talking.

also annoying when watching DVD's or TV late at night/early morning too...

I swear the engineers do it on purpose, can't see the common sense in blowing those things non stop at night when there's significantly less traffic across crossings... especially when all crossings in town have lights, bells & crossing arms... yet during the day, the horn blowing is not as continuous...

I've heard comments like, their required to blow the horns like that at night due to people having less chance of paying attention to crossings etc...

to me that doesn't make sense, if someones totally ignorant (aside from having visual or hearing impairment), to a freight train weight thousands & thousands of Tons. then blowing the horns more at night won't do a thing. aside from annoy people trying to sleep or do other things... I know some towns have managed to talk deals with the railroads to have trains reduce the number of horn blows or length of them as their going through town... but fat chance of an agricultural town of 600+ out here have that happen.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Now triple that for me. 2 intersections right in town, and one a couple of blocks south of me ( in town is 2 blocks north of me )

One of the reasons I'm really liking my new windowless basement bedroom
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Wow, 3 pages of responses to a simple introduction post. You guys ARE pretty active!

Sorry to disappoint all of you guys who live farther out in MN, but I'm 100% a city boy. Lived in the 'burbs growing up, went to college in Northfield (which is certifiably farm land, just 2 colleges in the town by happenstance it seems), and then moved back to the cities.

Of course, my dad grew up on a farm so I learned all about them growing up. And I definitely can't wait to grab a place of my own with a nice, large plot for some dogs and kids. But until then, cityslickin' me is gonna be NOT worrying about trains plowing past my place in the middle of the night. In fact, the city is so peacefully quiet at night sometimes it reminds me of college again.

Either way, good to be here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    but living out in the boonies has its advantages... unless you live right across the street from the major east/west BNSF line in the state, or a US Highway runs past your front yard... or a few blocks from a Major Grain Elevator for this part of the state... LOL
    BNSF???? Warroad has the CN going through it multiple times a day. The closest the BNSF gets is Theif River Falls (90mi.)or Grand Forks (150mi.). The CN drops into the US at Warroad and heads over to Baudette 36mi. away to head back into Canada, thus skirting Lake of the Woods.

Closest major grain elevator is Winnipeg (125mi) or Duluth (215mi.).

Major roads would be the Queens Highway (90mi), US2 (180mi) or I-29 (120mi.).

Closest real malls are in Winnipeg (125mi.).

Harder
    Last edited by sharder8; January 5th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    BTW, Bend, OR is a lot like St Cloud . . . excecpt a lot more mountains and California drivers.

Oh, and better hunting, skiing, camping, water falls, etc. . . . with 1/100th the misqutoes. And let's not forget . . . WARMER.

Harder

P.S. You'll find many of the MN folks hang out in the Distributed Computing - Tech Support Forums - TechIMO.com forums.

Blog Entries
    Probably has less of a Meth problem too.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFury View Post
    Probably has less of a Meth problem too.
    We wish.

Harder

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information