+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy HAHA! Not even Rattlesnakes can keep them away.

CORRECTION:The man in the story wasnt bit three separate times. SORRY!

Its just that, even after being bit, he continues to buy from Walmart

Ah, the irresistable pull of bargains! A man in Florida is suing Walmart because he was bitten by a pygmy rattler while shopping in the garden center in 2008. His is the third such attack in a Walmart in Florida since 2006, and he's claiming the retailer should have taken better steps to prevent rattler bites after the first two attacks. Our favorite detail, though, is that he won't stop going to Walmart, because "their prices are too good to shop elsewhere."

-SNIP-

Oh, and yes it's venomous and feisty, but "its bite produces pain and swelling which usually subsides in a few days," and no deaths have been recorded-
    Last edited by no1_vern; February 17th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Blog Entries
    Is it reasonable to expect that the garden center be free from snakes or is this par for the course down south.

Are other similarly equipped stores free from pigmy rattlers or would the be like saying make sure you do not have any bugs in your giant super center.

Blog Entries
    this is even a little strange. of the thousands and thousands of people who enter this store how many have been tagged, let alone tagged 3 times ?

I smell a ratt snake here.

Read carefully, children:

...His is the third such attack in a Walmart in Florida since 2006...

Blog Entries
    His is the third such attack in a Walmart in Florida since 2006

Wow imagine the bad luck. to be bitten 3 times by a relatively harmless snake and sue over it. I am not too sure that somethin funny is going on round here

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Third such attack, as in this is not the guys third time being bit, but the third person to be bitten since 2006...

I can understand his feelings in this, getting bitten by a snake in a store where it "shouldn't of been" but on the other hand, its hard to prevent everything. especially down in Florida where snakes like that are EVERYWHERE, along with gators, and all sorts of other critters...

if thats the case that he can sue over that, then it opens the flood gates for other lawsuits like old people getting bombed on by pesky gulls in the parking lots, have had that happen more than once at our store.

or when a curious/adventurous sparrow finds its way into the store & gets stuck, doing strafing runs on people in the store, or in the same instance bats...

etc etc...

how about the time we found a black widow spider in a box of grapes we put on the sales floor? seriously sometimes shit happens at stores like this, and these people should be grateful for being alive in all honesty...

not defending walmart, but chances are some money greedy lawyer will pick this up & go all out on walmart as a result.

hopefully a competent judge will be on the case, & be able to determine if this was a "freak accident" or something that was preventable on Walmart's part due to negligence of some sort, aside from opening another store in Florida... LOL

in any case this is why retailers have big time insurance to cover such damages, like an old person slipping on ice out on the sidewalk or something.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

SHY has it right. SINCE you guy didnt click the link to the fox news article that I posted I will post a short quote from it here:
    A 42-year-old man bitten by a snake in a Pembroke Pines Wal-Mart garden center is suing the company for negligence.

Jay Richitelli says he is the third Floridian in three years to be attacked in a Wal-Mart by a pygmy rattler. Two others were bitten in 2006 at the retailer's stores in Central Florida.
    So: It wasnt him the first two times, AND it wasnt even the same store. Just the same brand name - Walmart. Still, if this has happened twice before, the least Walmart could have done was to try to prevent more of them from getting into their stores**.

**The fact that the store is invading the snakes home territory has nothing to do with it.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

dulce bellum inexpertis

I think the most obvious lesson is being missed.

GET OUT OF FLORIDA, DUDE!!!

Blog Entries
    the irresistable pull of bargains! A man in Florida is suing Walmart because he was bitten by a pygmy rattler while shopping in the garden center in 2008. His is the third such attack in a Walmart in Florida since 2006, and he's claiming the retailer should have taken better steps to prevent rattler bites after the first two attacks. Our favorite detail, though, is that he won't stop going to Walmart, because "their prices are too good to shop elsewhere."

actually it is funny I read it "this is his" third attack when it actually reads his is the third such attack.

None the less should a store be responsible for critters that are running rampant in the region. Can one reasonably expect that they will search every pallet, every box on a daily basis. is there a reasonable way to keep them from sneaking in from the surrounding area. I do not know the answers to these questions. the suckers blend in and are hard to find sometimes... they can sneak through small holes and doors are left open on garden centers during the day.

a quick search of the web shows that home depot lowes and wally world are all subject to sneaky snakes beating up customers on occasion in various states.

Personally I hope this goes no where? I think this comes under the heading of shit happens.
    Last edited by Epidemic; February 17th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_vern View Post
    SHY has it right. SINCE you guy didnt click the link to the fox news article that I posted I will post a short quote from it here:
    Looks like he was just going off of what YOU said in YOUR very first post.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_vern View Post
    Enter, through the Walmart store doors, a man who, even after being bitten 3 times by rattlesnakes, continues to buy from Walmart

One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

to F@H or not to F@H ? Cmptr-Gy-Dv's Avatar
    ya I was in Georgia for about 3 hours when I was almost eaten by a alligator, I guess I forgot to sue the state of Georgia for having alligators that do the natural thing that alligators do, EAT!!!

so just to help those folks in Florida who might be having trouble figuring things out here is a clue,

THERE'S RATTLE SNAKES IN FLORIDA MORONS!!!
    i'm folding for techimo!! what are you doing?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    Looks like he was just going off of what YOU said in YOUR very first post.

me, or Epi?

I didn't even click the Fox News link, just the original one to the Consumerist site in the thread LOL.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I REALLY have got to proofread my posts better than that! I knew after reading the article a second time I needed to rewrite it, but I screwed up Sorry for the misinformation.

dulce bellum inexpertis

There's everything in Florida. When I moved from WV to NC, I thought the longer warm season made for some oversized insects. I was wrong. At that point, I had never been to Florida. Perhaps the store was keeping the poisonous snakes to kill off some of the Gigantic Flying Cockroaches From Hell that Florida has.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by common sense View Post
    I think the most obvious lesson is being missed.

GET OUT OF WALMART, DUDE!!!
    That wasnt a snake, that was an hungry employee who couldnt afford lunch!
    "life is short..don't be a dick"
    Phyllis Diller

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    me, or Epi?

I didn't even click the Fox News link, just the original one to the Consumerist site in the thread LOL.
    no1_vern, that was who I quoted.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information