+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who Mocks The iPad

The Target Consumer Old baby boomer luddites! A simplified computer for those who can't understand them.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great POV that I (being a young technophile) don't always consider.
    All 1.21 of them.

Blog Entries
    But that makes me want to buy it less, people will call me an old person.

Interesting though. I should get one for my Dad, he is horrible with electronics...
    Last edited by Shipuuden; January 31st, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
    You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

I like the concept, but I am not about to get one, just got a macbook pro, so I feel like it would be spending too much into that company. But my grandma might like it
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes" Or Should I?
    Chapter 25, The Catcher in the Rye

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Several more slates are coming to market, so potential buyers should wait til Spring or summer. Anyhow, the Ipad won't ship for another two months anyhow.

Slate Showdown: iPad vs. HP Slate vs. JooJoo vs. Android Tablets & More (UPDATED) - Tablets - Gizmodo

MegalosSkylaki
    iDOOG
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

I originally thought the device was strange, but was not immediately going to write it off. Technical writers have proven clueless to Apple's new products and as Steve Jobs remains mum as to the target, sales take off.

The iPad isn't designed for you or me. But each of us has identified a person who could use it. There you go. A computer that does basic things that people who don't have computers would want. It doesn't tear into sales of existing products, as does netbooks.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Blog Entries
    Personally, the first use for it that came to mind was having all your repair manuals in .pdf form and available to you in one convenient package. Reference manual from hell....very useful to someone who needs to reference many difference sources often, like someone who works on lots of boat motors....need a lot of manuals to support that. How nice would it be to prop that sucker up and just have what you need right there instead of digging through piles of books that are out of order?

Now, how easy is it to clean grease off of it?
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedFury View Post

Now, how easy is it to clean grease off of it?
    my first thought when I read your first sentence.
    my first thought about the ipad when it was announced was that it would replace the Kindle. Since it's not just a reader, I think many people will opt for that thinking they are getting more function for their money- even if they aren't sure about the functions....

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Kindle uses electronic ink, which is probably easier on the eyes than an lcd screen. Still it a one trick pony.

one of the slates [See above] mentions an oleophobic screen.**

iDOOG
    Oleophobic purple coat.

** Notion Ink Tegra Android
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; January 31st, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

I already know a couple of Luddites who want to buy one. Many people kinda, sorta know how to run some applications, but don't know how to run a whole computer.
    RayH42450@gmail.com

This thing is lacking way too many features. I doubt any tech savvy consumer will want this product until it hits its 3rd or even 4th generation.

As far as the Kindle goes, it'll probably destroy it for the average consumer, but like already noted, The Kindle is easier on the eyes so if you're big into ebooks and have the money...
    Cute

zen

Quote Originally Posted by -FMA View Post
    This thing is lacking way too many features. I doubt any tech savvy consumer will want this product until it hits its 3rd or even 4th generation.

As far as the Kindle goes, it'll probably destroy it for the average consumer, but like already noted, The Kindle is easier on the eyes so if you're big into ebooks and have the money...
    You are missing the point. The iPad is designed for the non techie (a Luddite). Lacking is the whole point of the device. A computer that is simple to operate. It's going to knock a big hole in Dell and HP sales!
    RayH42450@gmail.com

How "non techie" are we talking about here? Anything short of a caveman is going to want multitasking.

Doesn't everyone like to listen to music while they do whatever they're actually doing? Doesn't everyone want to have their browser up while doing something-anything else?
    Cute

Quote Originally Posted by -FMA View Post
    How "non techie" are we talking about here? Anything short of a caveman is going to want multitasking.

Doesn't everyone like to listen to music while they do whatever they're actually doing? Doesn't everyone want to have their browser up while doing something-anything else?
    NO! You have to understand that there are a lot of people who still see a PC as a business machine. They still buy CDs, they develop photos, and they buy/rent DVDs...no streaming.

The iPad is a basic computer for basic needs. No wires. Like anything else Apple, it's not designed for poor people. It's back to the future. A very simple computer that Luddites can operate. It does what THEY need it to do.

If the device takes off, Apple will sell a printer for it. No insallation, no wires except for the electrical cable. What a clean system!

For about the same money, there are plenty of machines that do more. But the point is that the target audience doesn't need more. It gets too complicated. Watch Dell and HP take it in the shorts because of the iPad.
    Last edited by RayH; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
    RayH42450@gmail.com

I agree with RayH. There will be many people who are looking for the simple things in life and dont care about what could be better. Maybe an ignorance is bliss attitude.
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

zen
    Quote Originally Posted by RayH View Post
    The iPad is a basic computer for basic needs. No wires.
    No wires = no fun! Of course, once you figure out you actually need wires, Apple will be glad to sell you those!
    If the device takes off, Apple will sell a printer for it. No insallation, no wires except for the electrical cable. What a clean system!.
    An Apple printer you say?? Not this again! lol

Watch Dell and HP take it in the shorts because of the iPad.
    lol, like the mac mini is doing, right?

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As of right now im not impressed, im waiting till the next version to see what they do with it. There are rumors that the next iphone os will have multitasking but that is all speculation (which this thing is supposed to be running too)

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    lol, like the mac mini is doing, right?
    The Mac Mini is designed as a media server, could be used as a HTPC. But for most, it doesn't really replace some other computer. The iPad, as a Luddite computer, could knock a dent into sales of people who don't want a big computer mess because they don't know how to use it. So the iPad could be replacements.

But how about an iPad running Windows 7, complete with multi tasking?
    RayH42450@gmail.com

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is using citrix which means you would need to connect to the citrix server to use it. So its pretty much useless if you are out and about and have no wireless signal and the network the citrix server is on isnt configured to allow WAN connections.

The mac mini was not intended to be a media server it was supposed to be a simple box for consumers to plug it in and to have a working osx box. Users have turned them into multimedia boxes because they are small and clean looking. The apple tv is what you are thinking about RayH. Another product that had much potential and just left out in the cold

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information