+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Bedbugs Aren't Just Back, They're Spreading

Bedbugs Aren't Just Back, They're Spreading

by NPR Staff
    'You Should Be Worried'

Infestations like that are popping up across the country at an alarming frequency.

"You should be worried — very, very, very worried," says Michael Raupp, an entomologist at the University of Maryland who spoke with NPR's Audie Cornish about the bedbug resurgence. Raupp runs a website called "Bug of the Week," and this week's star is — you guessed it — the bedbug.

"They're really not just for bedrooms anymore," he warns. "They really have become widespread almost in any kind of establishment where people live and sleep, throughout both small and large cities."

Raupp says bedbugs go where the food is. And for these critters, the "food" is sleeping human beings.

"The problem is, as people go about their daily act of going to an office or going to a movie theater, for that matter, the probability that they are going to bring bedbugs with them increases," he says. "As people move about," Raupp says, "they are unwittingly bringing bedbugs with them."
    In your travels, check for bedbugs before you sleep.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Swine flu, bird flu, Mad Cow Disease, anthrax, SARS (what else did I miss?), and now bed bugs.

Somewhere a boy is crying wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by voogru View Post
    You know it seems like all of these new bad things have been happening since Obama came in...

Maybe it's his fault...
    Actually these were gifts Bush left to get even for not electing McBush and Miss Piggy. The Republicans are ALWAYS sore losers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, can we stop hijacking threads... not everything is political ya know.

Anyway, I have a friend who is afraid to move to New York because of the prevalence of bed bugs. *shrug*

Seems a little paranoid to me...
    Tyranny doesn't have to come at the end of a gun.
    It also comes cloaked in compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    Hey guys, can we stop hijacking threads... not everything is political ya know.

Anyway, I have a friend who is afraid to move to New York because of the prevalence of bed bugs. *shrug*

Seems a little paranoid to me...
    Wait til he gets stuck on the West Fourth Street subway platform @ 2:00 am. He'll REALLY be paranoid.

funny i've just been searching the net to try to find out what it was that i bravely hoovered up with the longest extension i could find for the new dyson. 3 or 4 centimetres long wandering around our living room......."What the f**k is that" (shouted) was my first reaction.....grab the dyson was the second. i hate bugs.

i think it's a burying beetle. big bugger with orange bands on it's back and short stumpy antennae.

bedbugs? well like so many other bugs out there their immunity to all the fine things that we've thrown at them is increasing. we don't stand a chance

Actually you guys should all read the link. It's becoming very serious from New York to Grand Rapids. They used to be kept in check when we used DDT, but when that quit they began to multiply again. We're talking major hotel chains (the nice ones) and small and large poor or fancy apartment complexes. They get tracked on shoes and clothing and you can't see them until they become a major problem. Kids can bring them home from school so homeowners aren't safe either.

I'm kinda freaked out about them.
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    Wait til he gets stuck on the West Fourth Street subway platform @ 2:00 am. He'll REALLY be paranoid.
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

I was in Farmington Hills MI this week and I was bit twice by them. I was still awake watching TV in bed, I said "ow, wth is that?" Turned on the light and it was a bedbug, not a spider. Very tiny too.

Had them a few years ago from a hotel in Buffalo... Tool 3 visits by the exterminator to get rid of them for good.

They look like brown/grey ladybugs. After you've had to deal with them, there is no such thing as too paranoid to make sure you don't get them again. You'll read multiple hotel reviews on travel sites and do a top to bottom check of the room...

The only good thing, for me, is that they seem to prefer certain types of people (like mosquitos do) more than others. Like my wife for instance, she'd be bitten multiple times in a night and I wouldn't have any bites. Also their bites are worse than mosquito bites, they're larger and do itch more than mosquito bites do.

Forget the monsters under the bed, beware the bugs that come out 'tween the boxspring and mattress when you fall asleep. They say the bite is painless and unnoticed until swelling occurs. I call BS on that.

Bed Bugs in Hotels, Treatment of Bites, Bed Bug Pictures, Signs of Infestation by MedicineNet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I was in Farmington Hills MI this week and I was bit twice by them. I was still awake watching TV in bed, I said "ow, wth is that?" Turned on the light and it was a bedbug, not a spider. Very tiny too.
    With your job it will probably get worse and worse, you have to be very careful to not take any home with you in your suitcase.
    I'd be so freaked out!

I've read that you can kill any in your luggage by exposing your luggage to 30 Celsius or higher and 10 degree Celsius and lower temps for half a day. Apparently they have a small temp range they can survive in.

Not sure if it's true or not but figured I'd put it out there.
    Last edited by SeanC; August 22nd, 2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Typed same sentence twice

Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    I've read that you can kill any in your luggage by exposing your luggage to 30 Celsius or higher and 10 degree Celsius and lower temps for half a day. Apparently they have a small temp range they can survive in.

Not sure if it's true or not but figured I'd put it out there.
    NOT TRUE.
    How to Kill Bed Bugs

And they're tough customers. According to the National Pest Management organization, they can live more than a year without eating; taking a vacation in hopes the bugs will then move out won't work. They can take the temps, too; the bugs are okay with freezing to Fahrenheit 113.
    Thats 0c to 48c - that means that the luggage/bedding must be WELL ABOVE 48c OR WELL BELOW 0c for MANY hours to actually get the heat to where the bugs actually live. Being able to live for 12 months between feedings means they can travel long distances before they are exposed.

What to look for-
    What Bed Bugs Look Like
    Bedbugs are teeny flat critters; grown adults are about the size of an apple seed. Check out the bed bug picture to the right to see what a bed bug looks like -- picture shows a bug in afold of suitcase lining. Adults are brown until they consume some blood, after which they turn reddish brown. Ah, that rosy after-dinner glow.

Pinhead sized nymphs, or non-adults, are smaller and are whitish or gold until they feed -- just about the color of a mattress, according to Martha Craft, Orkin spokesperson, making them very tough to see. (More evidence of clever, sneaky behavior.)
    Its said that they have an odor, but most people wont be able to tell.
    Last edited by no1_vern; August 22nd, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Quote Originally Posted by surreal View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
    He said his friend was getting paranoid about moving to NYC. There's a whole hell of a lot of more things than bed bugs to get paranoid about living in NYC. The West Village at 2 in the morning IS a very dangerous place to be. Just trying to give this guy a "Heads Up' before he commits to moving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    He said his friend was getting paranoid about moving to NYC. There's a whole hell of a lot of more things than bed bugs to get paranoid about living in NYC. The West Village at 2 in the morning IS a very dangerous place to be. Just trying to give this guy a "Heads Up' before he commits to moving.
    Pickle's correct on this one...

He, who is actually a she, has a job interview with a company centered in NYC and is definitely paranoid about bedbugs in her apartment if she gets a job offer.
    Tyranny doesn't have to come at the end of a gun.
    It also comes cloaked in compassion.

If you can round up enough of em, they make a mean stir fry!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information