+ Reply to Thread

Dutch teen completes year-long solo sailing journey around world

Dutch Teen Completes Year-long Solo Sailing Journey Around World | Fox News

A teenager from the Netherlands sailed into St. Maarten harbor on Saturday, ending a yearlong solo journey around the globe aboard a ketch named "Guppy."

Dozens of people cheered as Laura Dekker pumped her fist into the air in celebration while sailing past a drawbridge raised for her arrival in the port from which she set out on Jan. 20, 2011.

Anchors Aweigh, Girl

Laura Dekker becomes youngest round-the-world solo sailor - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    Hmmm thats cool thats shes home safe, but as a parent I would never let my 15 year old go off sailing by herself for a year. Sorry, just don't agree with that, I don't care how smart I may think my kid is.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoStarO1 View Post
    Hmmm thats cool thats shes home safe, but as a parent I would never let my 15 year old go off sailing by herself for a year. Sorry, just don't agree with that, I don't care how smart I may think my kid is.
    That all goes along with how much confidence you have in your child's ability and how much faith you have in your own decisions.
    When I was her age, I played roller hockey in the schoolyards of NYC ( as well as other physical sports ). The "There are no rules" and "everyman man for himself" kind of hockey. No helmet, no knee pads, no nothing but skates and a stick. It's just by luck nobody sustained major injury.
    My parents grew up in a tough time and knew that kids had to take their knocks to survive instead of "Sheltering" and "Codling".
    I highly admire this young girl and have mucho respect for the decision of her parents to support her in her attempt and ,subsequent, success circumnavigating over the seas through the perils the oceans present.

Blog Entries
    Congrats to her, a well accomplished feat

Quote Originally Posted by article above
    The Guinness World Records has said it won't back that up because it no longer recognizes records for youngest sailors to discourage dangerous attempts.

Several Dutch officials tried to block her trip, arguing she was too young to risk her life. School authorities have complained she should be in a classroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoStarO1 View Post

I disagree. It is dangerous, it is naive, but guess what, she did it. And that amount of self reliance, endurance and motivation is more valuable than anything a text book could have ever hoped to teach.

If you trust in your child, and know thats what their heart desires, let them go for it. They will thank you in the end, even if they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    That all goes along with how much confidence you have in your child's ability and how much faith you have in your own decisions.
    When I was her age, I played roller hockey in the schoolyards of NYC ( as well as other physical sports ). The "There are no rules" and "everyman man for himself" kind of hockey. No helmet, no knee pads, no nothing but skates and a stick. It's just by luck nobody sustained major injury.
    My parents grew up in a tough time and knew that kids had to take their knocks to survive instead of "Sheltering" and "Codling".
    I highly admire this young girl and have mucho respect for the decision of her parents to support her in her attempt and ,subsequent, success circumnavigating over the seas through the perils the oceans present.
    Just saw you posted that before I finished mine, but I agree 100%
    Last edited by SoloCamo; January 22nd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    Congrats to her, a well accomplished feat

Just saw you posted that before I finished mine, but I agree 100%
    Having sailed through a Hurricane ( Luckily I was serving on an Aircraft Carrier ), and full well knowing, first hand, the perils the oceans present, this is far MORE than a simple feat. Most have no knowledge of the fortitude and shear guts this girls has.
    Her youth and childlike sweetness cover the tough determination and self pride one has to have to do what she did.
    I expect to see her excel and top this feat in the future.

Blog Entries
    I did say that its cool she made it home safe, I also said that I wouldn't let my 15 year old kid go sailing alone around the world. I stand by that.
    some facts noted in article, she was born on a ship and basically cut her teeth sailing from a young age. However, I still wouldn't let her sail at 15, maybe when she's 18 and finished with school and she would be an adult.

I am a bit offended by your commets of, "just goes to show you how much you trust your kids" and think your off base.

Some facts about my own family. My daughter has a disability that impairs a lot of things she does in life, especially logical reasoning.she is not even capable of driving let along sail around the world and you think that is a trust issue?

My son loves to build stuff especially with wood, do I coddle him by not letting him build to his hearts content? Is that a trust issue?

Some assumptions based off the article is that the parents are loaded with money. If I had money like that there are two things I would do. Build a shop for my son and let him dream up his crazy designs and build them. Two i'd hire the best medical doctors in the world.

Do you know where most of my money goes to other than basic living expenses? It all goes to paying doctors. What is a person suppose to do when you got one kid who needs doctors and another kids who dreams of building stuff and there is no money.

This is what I do, I opt to not pay a doctor or two for a month so that I can scrape up 200 bucks for wood for my son so he can build something at the school shop in his extra time.

And you want to say its a trust issue and that I coddle my kids. No I don't tbink so sir. Even if I was loaded with money and say my son eanted to sail around the world at 15, i say he will need to wait till he's 18 and done with school.

Some od you guys need to wake up to realities, there are many talented kids out there with dreams dying because of the lack of money. Money talks and can make dreams happen. My reality is doctors and more freaking doctors who don't know what the hell they are doing. While my son stands on the sidelines patiently waiting for a little extra so he can dream and create.

It has nothing to do with trust or coddling as you say.

Blog Entries
    I like when one of these thrill seeking adventurers gets in trouble and millions are spent trying to save them so they can get their 15 minutes of fame.

The news celebrates it... Then bashes moms who leave their 15 year old home when they get into some sort of trouble they are demonized.
    Last edited by Epidemic; January 22nd, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Neo, not one person in this thread said you don't trust your kids. Especially when you quoted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoStar01
    "just goes to show you how much you trust your kids"
    Not only that but no one ever brought your financial standing into it. And if you want to point that out, then I might as well say both my niece and nephew are extremely talented, but I nor the parents have enough money to invest in their talents.

I understand your situation. However, none of my comments were aimed at you except for the one saying that you would never let your kid go. And i'm speaking in terms of endless money and no medical issues here, all hypothetical.

Is that not controlling/coddling for you to say you would never let them go until he is 18? That is a control issue in my book. If you know he wants to go that bad and you trust in him to do a good job and you know it means so much to him, why would you not let him go? A fear of the uncertainty? A lack of confidence in him?

What as a parent would stop you besides fear of the unknown and control/coddling? To claim it is a parent being responsible, how can you say so if you are 100% confident? My point is, to some extent this is coddling and a lack of confidence in their ability.

These are all hypothetical and no offense is intended. However, when you make false quotes of my own text, I tend to wonder if this is actually an issue and you perhaps unknowlingly misread my own text because it is what was on your mind.

Regardless, I am well aware of the realities around me, I work, I support my family and I get things done as best as I can with my limited financial standing. I've watched over my niece and nephew a large portion of their lives as well, however I am not their parent so my say on what they do is not the end result. But my opinion will not be discredited simply because I don't live the exact life you live.

Again, no offense is intended here. This is all for learning and brain picking, and to be honest expanding my own opinions on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    The news celebrates it... Then bashes moms who leave their 15 year old home when they get into some sort of trouble they are demonized.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read it. The news go with whatever produces the best story, as always
    Last edited by SoloCamo; January 22nd, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Regardless of ALL the previous BS, especially about her being of wealthy parents, she did seize upon the endeavor and did complete a perilous journey and SHOULD be given due credit for her accomplishments . PERIOD

Anyone using their own psychological deficiencies to diminish her feat needs a serious attitude adjustment.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That sucks that no organization will recognize her efforts. Sail for all that time and no credit where credit is due.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information