+ Reply to Thread

Ionic Breeze....does it really work?

Have seen these Ionic Breeze air filtration units in the Sharper Image magazines, and on TV for a while, and have thought it would be a cool thing to have (if it actually works as advertised). However, I didn't think it was worth the $300+ they were asking for them.

Recently, I saw at Radioshack that Honeywell is manufacturing a similar unit, and they sell for $50 for a small unit, and $100 for a large one. This is way more in line with what I would be willing to pay....but again, only if they really do what they claim.

My question to all of you is, do any of you have experience with either of these units, and if so, can you please share your thoughts on them.

Thanks in advance.
    Through the NIC, on the cat5, off the gateway router, out the cable modem...….nothin' but net.

I just can't believe they do what they claim to do..
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Ultimate Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    I tried one from that Vacuum Cleaner company, I forget the name, yeah it got 4 or 5 molecules of dirt out of the 79 quadzillion that passed through it..

We tried one in our house for about a week (at least I think it's what you're talking about). It gave my wife headaches, and the house always smelled almost like an electrical short.

Yep, we had one and it didn't smell too pleasant! You'd think the air wouldn't smell like anything....but pure oxygen or o-zone or whatever it makes after filtration smells BAD!

maybe it smelled bad beacuse you wern't used to it. it not being the normal aroma of your house. kind of like the when you go to someones house for the first time and it smells a bit odd. but after a lot of visits you don't notice anymore. or the whole cat in the house smell. did it smell anything like after a thunder storm, when lightning was in the area? i recall being told by my chem teacher that lightning does something to O2 making O3 (ozone) and thats the way the air smells after a thunder storm.

It didn't really smell bad to me, just not normal.

We have a regular one with filters and an Ionic breeze....

I suffer from alergies and asthma... The one with the filter is on all night in my bedroom and I now sleep all night without waking and needing asthma drugs...

The Ionic breeze is downstairs, we have a couple of dogs and cocktiels... Both give off alot of dander and dust..

The ionic breeze does collect alot of crap out of the air and in my opinion does work. It did smell at first however I cannot smell it now... My lungs feel alot better and I now take less than half the medication I used to... It is an amazing improvement for an asthmatic... If you are getting one of these for medical reasons I say go ahead and spend the $300...

When I have enough money I'm buying another for my office !

and the house always smelled almost like an electrical short.
    I gotta have one in that case

If they do work that good it would be a good investment as I have 2 asthmatic kids
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

I bought one and it works great, but recently the light went off and when you turn the switch to "on" the "on" light illuminates and then begins flashing and no filtration is taking place. any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Welcome to TechIMO!

You know most "ionic" air cleaners produce ozone, right? You are replacing unfiltered, albeit breathable air with ozone, which your body certainly does not need to breath in any appreciable quantity. Notice Sharper Image added a supposed ozone catalyst stage to the new models? I still would not trust the device, as it is little more than an ozone generator IMO. Toss the Ionic Breeze in the trash, buy a quality HEPA filter, deal with swapping filter elements, and enjoy properly filtered air in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by howste
    We tried one in our house for about a week (at least I think it's what you're talking about). It gave my wife headaches, and the house always smelled almost like an electrical short.
    Decreased oxygen levels and increased ozone saturation. Headaches are a common complaint with ionic air cleaners. A writer for "The Tech" newspaper at MIT wound up at the campus medical center with a severe migrane after using the Ionic Breeze.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V123/N58/gadget_58.58f.html

Sharper Image claims the Ionic Breeze creates only "trace" amounts of ozone.

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/cu...response.jhtml

Consumer Reports counters with laboratory testing indicating the Ionic Breeze is ineffective as an air cleaner and unhealthy for consumers to use due to ozone production.

“All of these ’not recommended’ products did a poor job in our tests of removing dust, smoke and pollen from the air,” the statement said. “In addition, all five of these products failed in Consumer Reports’ labs the standard industry test for ozone generation.”

Source: MSNBC
    It gets even worse.

Last year two large studies, one in the Journal of the American Medical Association and the other in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, linked high ozone exposure in cities to a rise in premature deaths from cardiovascular and respiratory causes. The EPA neither certifies nor recommends air cleaners.

Source: Washington Post
    Ozone is a great disinfectant. It destroys bacteria and mold by breaking down cell walls. Want to guess what it does to human cells as well?

Heh I got a kenmore hepa/secnted/wiremesh/some kinda cloth/ionizer/poullutin filter/ozone filter Anything i could ever wan't it works pretty good.

Ozone at ground level is call polution.

If you can smell ozone created from the so called ionic breeze, you are breathing too much ozone.

Never asleep by1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by howste View Post
    I agree, while my husband insists it helps my asthema (I get asthma attacks hit it miss and he's always has it on in our beroom) I think the electrical smell is nausiating and gives me an uncomfortable feeling, Not a full flege headache ...this is just an uncomfortable nagging smell that takes over my nostrals causing me anxiety and anther reason not sleep being a type poor sleeper as it is . Is it really worth it. I suggested to run it while I'm not in the room so it can do its job he wants done but then, give me a break when I finally lye down to rest and turn it off ,,,,it stinks!!
    Last edited by Karen Oleary; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:01 AM.

Wow, this is an old one....

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Oleary View Post
    I agree, while my husband insists it helps my asthma (I get asthma attacks hit it miss and he's always has it on in our bedroom)...
    Is your husband a medical professional? Since you're the one with asthma, the important thing is what you think. Does it help? If not, tell your husband to butt out...

Blog Entries
    I love the smell of ozone.

I have an ozone generator in my house from edenpure. I rarely use it when I am home though because of the supposed health risks. I defer to the experts on the health risks. Although I do not have any manifestations of symptoms associated with Ozone.

No head aches, no iritation of the airways is apparent. However if you are an asthmatic I doubt you need any irritation mussing with your lungs.

my sister has been using one for years constant duty to cover the smell of her miriad of animals. She is older than me and has no grey hair. So ozone makes you keep your hair color

Ionic Breeze....does it really work?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information