+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

when a dog's life is near the end...

my old dog, douglas, was 14. probably the smartest dog ever to walk the earth, a nice lab. any way, he had knee problems a year ago, and a tumor, and my dad shelled out 2k to help him out. the doctor gave him 2 weeks to live. he had lasted a year and half after that. but it wasnt pretty. apparently last thursday, douglas wouldnt eat, get up, or take his meds, so my dad shot him.

i think that is the most disturbing thing ever. first off to shoot any animal, second off a family pet of 14 years. just sick. i dont talk to my dad, havent for about 4-5 years now, i had to hear through my sister, but i really think that is wrong. at the very least i think a dog should be euthanized.
    Music (4/15/08) - Video (4/15/08) - blog - Legend of Six RPG

Have you ever seen a dog euthanized?

I have. I held her while the vet did it.
    The last thing she knew was not being at home, people she didn't know messing with her shaving hair off her leg. Then the pain of the shot, which btw she fought when it started to hit her.
    It's making me cry thinking of the scene there that day.

To walk up behind her and a shot to the head would have probably been more humane. Where she could have just went out in her yard hearing her familiar comfortable surroundings with out pain.
    I'm really sorry about your dog sixf00t4,
    But don't hate your dad for that, euthanasia ain't all it's cracked up to be. :'(

Douglas was behaving the same way Yuppie (my dog) did when it was time for her to go. They just know when and quit fighting.
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    I, too, once had to hold a precious pet as she was euthanized, and although it wasn't as bad as what Surreal has described, well, she knew. She knew.

The way your Dad did it? Can't fault him, really. I'm pretty certain Douglas never knew what happened. Very humane, IMO.

But I think the larger point, sixf00t4, is this:

When we accept a pet into our lives, we do it with the knowledge that the animal will not outlive us. And as the critter looks to us for support, he or she will also depend on us to do the right thing when it is time to go.

And when that time comes, it is our responsibility to help the poor thing out of its pain, and on to peace.

I think your Dad did the righteous thing. I hope you'll understand it better in time and forgive him.

Blog Entries
    i know i would never be able to do that. maybe you are right and it is the more humane thing, but i see it as a cold deed. maybe i misunderstand euthanization, i thought it was just gassing them? i just think it is more respectful to have the pet in 1 piece, and have it done calmly. it could also be an association thing for me, i hear the word gun, and i think violence, i have related the two together, almost like a pavlov event.

The other thing I never realized before I stayed with my dog is that most people tell the dog goodbye in the exam room. Being in a cage in the back office is even a worse place to go...
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Originally posted by sixf00t4
    i know i would never be able to do that. maybe you are right and it is the more humane thing, but i see it as a cold deed.
    Okay, maybe now, but things change, and as we get older, hopefully we see the fullness of things. With ourselves, and with others, too.
    maybe i misunderstand euthanization, i thought it was just gassing them? i just think it is more respectful to have the pet in 1 piece, and have it done calmly.
    Oh, no no NO! Gassing is AWFUL. I helped a g/f long ago prepare a college report on this, and you wouldn't believe it. Dear God, it just goes on forever, and those poor animals know every second what is happening to them, they can't get away...okay, this is TMI...

Trust me on this, a bullet is a very humane solution. And if you think this task was easy on your Dad, well, perhaps you could talk to him about it....

...if he CAN talk about it....

I agree 100% with Knothead and Surreal. Sounds like your dad like the dog very much..... (2k aint nothing to sneeze at) ..... and perhaps it was the last kind thing he felt he could do for the dog.

I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to do either.

Sorry for your loss.

Not Really a Member
    Sixfoot, I've known a fair number of people that prefer just to put the dog out of their misery with a bullet. All were very good people. He didn't do anything wrong.. just what was best for the dog

You've lost a family member and that is difficult. Take time to look back and remember Douglas, but don't forget to move on either

Take care man.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

sixfoot, I hope you and ur Dad can talk again someday soon.

side note, my short story. My precious collie was laying in the driveway when we woke up. She was not doing well, I knew it. I happen to have a vet who comes to the house, usually not for emergencies. I called. My son and his friend were here. I told them that she was not going to get up and be the dog she was. They had the opportunity to pet, hold and hug her to say goodbye. I gave my son the option of being with her, but he declined, which was ok. My collies best dog friend was close by, about 3 feet away. I stayed close, reassuring her that she was a good dog. The vet was so caring, he checked her out very carefully and came to the same conclusion, no chance of recovery.
    The vet was so careful, she didn't flinch. It was so sad, but I felt that I had held up my part of being her friend by being with her. The unusual thing about this was that my other dog, let out a big howl when she died. It's strange how other animals know more than we do. I try to treat my ol gal with love everyday.

I wish you well in your grieving.... try to never forget some of the good times.

Thumbs up Our dog Ring.

Lived for seventeen years and died in the yard on a beautiful day. Found him in the prettiest part of the yard by the rose bushes. Figured that's where he wanted to be laid to rest , so I made him a nice site and buried him gently. He was a good dog and we had many happy days. He loved the winter and most of all the snow, which we donot get much of down here. But when it did, he'd frollic in the drifts. Was a sight to see. Hoping he'll be there in the hereafter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    that's what i am saying...why intervein at all. douglas' dad, casey, died at 10, and i am the one the found him. i dont think killing a dog is justified. let nature take its course. i just really dont like violence, and i cant seperate killing a dog with a gun when it is old from killing a dog with a gun when it is a puppy.

It really depends on why the dog is dying. If the dog had a condition where just letting it die "naturally" from the disease it had, which may have meant much more pain and suffering - well, you have to think whether or not that would have been more, or less humane.

Blog Entries
    as a member of the family, i would treat it as a member of the family.

as a member of the family, i would treat it as a member of the family.
    Which almost raises the question of Euthanasia for humans...

(I'm for it)

Blog Entries
    i'm not sure if that was a jab at me or not...knot but i did say
    at the very least i think a dog should be euthanized.
    i am saying that if you really must take action...

like my uncle, they had a small dog, (kinda looked like Frasier's Dad's dog) named buddy, that they just euthanized last week. he was also 14 and had liver cancer. they were going on a trip, and buddy usually goes everywhere with them, there was no way buddy would survive any trip.

...but anyway, trying to pull my foot out of my mouth, that knot so graciously pointed out
    Last edited by sixf00t4; July 17th, 2003 at 08:54 PM.

Not Really a Member
    You may not be able to see the real pain the dog was in footman.. you're hearing it through the grapevine

If you could look into the dogs eyes I'm sure it would of pained you to see him.

One of the most horrific sights of my life was watching a loved one in pain. I still have nights where its tough to shut my eyes because of that sight. That was like 8 years ago... if you could of seen him you may have requested he be put down yourself.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar
    Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

Thanks Bill. I was just going to post Rainbow Bridge also. It always gives me the sniffles tho. I know the day will come when my 9 year old Springer will have to be put down. He's the family dog left from my fractured marriage awhile back. I'm gonna dread that day and I spend as much time as I can with him now while he's in great health.

Even the toughest man alive will bawl like a baby when losing a pet, especially a dog buddy.
    Last edited by Toadman; July 18th, 2003 at 08:17 PM.

Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar
    Of all the moments in the history of humans I think one of the most special has to be when one wolf thought:

"You know, these humans aren't so bad. I think I'll hang with them for awhile."

Billions of hearts have been broken ever since when we lose our pal that never asked anything more than a kind scratch behind the ear and leftovers (on occasion).

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

The other thing I never realized before I stayed with my dog is that most people tell the dog goodbye in the exam room. Being in a cage in the back office is even a worse place to go...
    I guess that's an indication of how much attachment there is with your dog. I think I'll sit with him on my lap to the last breath, and then some until time to hand him over. It's the least I could do for the pleasure he's given me. He'd damn well would do it for me....

K, this thread thread is bumming me out. Time to go play fetch the tennis ball and chew on some pig ears.
    Last edited by Toadman; July 18th, 2003 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information