+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Here's a question for ya -- what kind of jelly is in a jelly donut?

Like the topic question says -- What kind of jelly is in a jelly donut? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I can tell you that Dunkin Donuts has Strawberry and Black Raspberry jelly filled donuts, so that rules those 2 out as the jelly. Then there was cherry, but no one liked those so they got rid of those... what else is there?

The jelly in the jelly donut is radioactive red... so bright.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    lemon is always a good flavor to have once in a while

Blog Entries
    The standard red stuff is red currant jelly...

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Theophylact
    The standard red stuff is red currant jelly...
    I have no clue what you just said, sorry, lost ya there.

On a side note, I haven't had a jelly donut in ages because I never figured out what kind of jelly it is..

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Originally posted by poopeyhed2

On a side note, I haven't had a jelly donut in ages because I never figured out what kind of jelly it is..
    Good for You! You don't want to actually EAT that stuff, it's primarily sugar and corn syrup, comes in a huge can that they stick a PUMP on top of, and squeeze that horroble goo right into otherwise perfectly good donuts!

Blog Entries
    What's not to understand about red currant jelly?

Ultimate Member
    Ahh, now I know what you're talking about. I never heard of that stuff before, that's why. Is there an ingredients list to it? Just wondering what's it made out of..

I guess what makes donuts so good is probably because it's deep fried So unhealthy...

I've noticed on the showcase at Dunkin Donuts there are about 3 donuts that don't have glaze or extra sugar on it.. Which are 2 forms of the Old Fashion donut and a whole wheat, but everything is deep fried.

Keep this part a secret -- I found out that their Bagels are made from General Mills, Muffins made by Pillsbury, and some Canadian company makes their danishes (I have nothing against the Candian company, just I can't remember the name because it was so un-common). I'm assuming all the kitchen has to do is reheat the muffins and bagels etc. I saw on the danish box that they reheat it, and decorate it w/ the glaze and what not. Makes sense why all the bagels, muffins, and danishes are basically uniform in shape, same consistency, etc.

Blog Entries
    Here's a recipe:
    RED CURRANT JELLY

4 lbs. fully ripe red currants
    1 c. water
    1 pouch Certo
    7 c. sugar

Thoroughly crush the currants. Add 1 cup water; bring to a boil and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Place in jelly bag and squeeze out juice. This should make 5 cups of juice; if not quite enough, add a little water. Put juice into a large (4 to 8 quart size) saucepan. Set opened Certo pouch in a cup or glass until ready to add to boiling fruit juice. Thoroughly mix sugar into juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. At once, stir in Certo.

Bring to a full rolling (a boil that can't be stirred down) and boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off foam with metal spoon and pour quickly into sterilized glasses, leaving 1/2 inch space at top. Wipe any spills. Cover with 1/8 inch hot paraffin; 1 thin layer makes the best seal. Store in a cool dry place. Yields: about 7 1/4 cups.
    (Certo is a brand of pectin, a gelling agent derived from apples.)

I made donuts for years and we always used Red Rasberry jelly. It is cheap as jellies go and probably has a lot of artificial colors and flavors. I still like them though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information