+ Reply to Thread

So, How Contagious Is Cancer :(

Ok,

I have been living with my grandparents for the last 12 months because they live close to this tech school that im going to. Since I have moved in i have watched their friend, an older widowed lady, slowly die of about 20 different kinds of cancers. Well she finally died this weekend. The thing is that she willed all of her stuff to my grandparents, ever her house (mobile home). My grandparents are going to move into her house soon and im totaly freaking out of this. This lady spent her last few days of her life in this house! I mean her cancer "germs" are probably all over the place in there. Im totaly freaking out. I do not want to move into that house. My grandma is trying to give me all of her furniture and dishes to me for when i finish my schooling and get a house of my own, i dont want none of that cancer stuff though! I feel very uneasy about moving into this house. I mean there is no proof that you cant get cancer from living in the same house as someone who just died from it. What if im 40 years old and all of a sudden i break out in 50 different forms of cancer with huge black welps all over my body, just like she did....

Im very freaked out about this. I feel very uneasy about this. I have never felt this way in my life. I feel as if im in fear for my life. My heart is pounding. My vision smeared. My head is spinning. My nerves shaking. Dear lord see me through this... I think i'm going to go sit in a corner and have panic attacks now.......

Blog Entries
    Relax. Take a deep breath.

Cancer is not generally infectious, AFAIK. Even though some cancers are know to be caused by infectious agents, they are not easily spread from person to person (require direct, intimate, contact).

If cancer was infectious we would see "clusters" of cancers in families and in groups that live in very close proximity (armed forces, colleges, nursing homes), but their is no evidence of this type of pattern.

The theory of most cancer is that the cells in the body are made to change through some exposure to something - not necessarily and infectious agent. But even it it were, you still have to be exposed to it in a manner than could cause disease.

I am very confident that the environment and belongings of a person who recently died of cancer are safe - provided, of course, that no toxic environmental agents remain (like radioactive substances or something).

Fear of cancer is common, because it's an unknown, and a painful disease. PM me if you want to discuss the specific cancer and how it might have been caused.

Cheers
    Mick
    I don't like sigs on forums like this.

Dude relax. You can't contract cancer from casual contact. If you could, I would most definately have it from kissing my dying mother's forehead. She passed away from intestinal cancer. I know it's scarey stuff but you'll be fine.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well i kinda feel better now. But still.......

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    but still what? instead of treating them like the plague give them support. Your not going to catch it. Its not ebola or something very serious where if you breath in the room your going to vomit your insides.

if this was a problem we would basically not be here anymore.

Originally posted by GroundZero3
    but still what? instead of treating them like the plague give them support. Your not going to catch it. Its not ebola or something very serious where if you breath in the room your going to vomit your insides.
    Well sorry if i offended anyone. I just dont like the idea of all this. I do feel sorry for that old lady. It's a horrible way to go. That cancer made her break out with huge black lumps all over her body and caused her arms and legs to swell to large proportions. And anyway, the person needing the "support" is no longer with us
    Last edited by 311Sam; August 25th, 2003 at 07:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like she had an aggressive lymphoma (discussion on possible causes here).

Breathing in exhaust fumes from passing cars is more likely to give you cancer than living in the house of someone who died of it. If you want to get paranoid, don't go outside, don't eat any modified foods or foods grown with fertilizer/insecticides, and don't lick lead paint!

Everything needs to be kept in context, Sam.

Cheers
    Mick

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by 311Sam
    And anyway, the person needing the "support" is no longer with us
    Your grandparents need support still. They will be grieving for the loss of their freind. Don't make it any harder for them

Cheers
    Mick

The only cancer that I'm aware of thats contagious is feline leukemia.So,unless you cough up fur balls I think your safe.

Blog Entries
    Hey Terminal, check this out.

Cheers
    Mick

Good info MICK. Although I must confess,I didn't understand a word I read after the second paragraph.Still, none the less.Good info.I was aware of the relationship with HIV and cancer though, from personal experience.Not myself, but someone I knew.

Don't worry!

My father died of cancer and I spent a long time living in the same house as him. I'm still alive, and have never had cancer.

Fifteen men on a dead manís chest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum;
    Drink and the devil be done for the rest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information