+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Household cleaning tips needed RE wood doors & cabinets

Our home has stained wood slab doors throughout, and over time they've gotten badly filthy. Any cleaners I've tried just kinda remove a top layer of light dirt, but do shine the surface nicely. We're talking mainly of dirty "paw prints" at all levels - my kids grew up here, after all. Also, we're smokers, as were the previous owners, so the wood's absorbed 40 yrs of nicotene in between coats of Pledge...

Same on the kitchen cabinets - frankly, I think those are beyond cleaning & need refinishing, but they give me a safe place to experiment with products.

Anyway, I want to get the doors cleaned back to their finish w/o destroying that finish. So far, nothing works both well and quickly. Murphy's Oil Soap is the best I've tried, but it just took me two hours to do one side of one door - and it's still not perfect!
    I'm not looking for miracles, but I just can't spend HOURS per surface - including closets, there are 22 doors, thus 44 sides!! This is why they've never gotten totally clean, it's just too big of a job!

Advise? Products? Mixtures?
    Sites? Experiences?

Thanks!

http://housewares.aubuchonhardware.c...ver-600825.asp

Take your pick on the color. I've used this for years on furniture , woods floors and cabinets. It's not easy but after a few applications , the bad spots will blend in quite nicely. Then go over with Johnson's paste wax. Your arms and wrists will be sore, so be forewarned.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    Try Simple Green. It's a degreaser that we use to remove the film that accumulates on hardwood floors and prevents our finish from sticking. You can find it at Walmart ( the devil ), Kmart, Target, any hardware store should carry it... Use the concentration you feel is the strongest you need. Then clean up with a windex/water solution of a cup to a gallon of warm water. Should do the trick, and when you are done, the surface should take any finish you put on it.

Good luck.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

D-Limonene (citrus based) cleaners will do a fine job. Simple Green is one of them. Be careful about the concentration. I don't know the concentration of D-Limonene in there. Straight D-Limonene is combustable.

There are some wood cleaners that are a blend of D-Limonene and petroleum distillates, primarily oil and kerosene. They work quite well. If you see what looks like rust on the bottom, it's dye falling out of solution. But the product works OK. If the product is a bit cloudy, it's just there's a bit of water in it.

http://www.touchoforanges.com/woodcarprod.html
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Ultimate Member
    Pickel, I'll definately try that scratch cover product - the doors have few scratches, just layers of dirt & old polish, but I'll give it a try on whatever scratches there are.

Simple Green is one cleaner I haven't tried. I'll pick some up, I've seen it at Home Depot. I've tried a couple of citrus based cleaners, is this stronger than average?

Ed_S Check the hippy naturual food stores near you and see if there is a product called Apache Citra Chief.

It's a similar type thing to Simple Green, but better. Don't use it straight. Follow the directions on the bottle. This thing will clean anything.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Those citrus products work well, as said above. Things that are soluble are soluble in either water, petroleum or alcohol. I find cleaning grim with rubbing alcohol works well.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information