+ Reply to Thread

Would you do it?

Hi,

I am currently working for a Co that I have worked for for the last 3.5 yrs. I have worked with 1 particular individualfrom this Co in a number of Co's for 20 yrs on and off. I got him the job that led to the job he has now.Some times I have got him on my team and sometimes he has got me on his team.Some of the people I work with have been there since the companys start( 8 yrs)

The job is pretty mundane heavy marine engineering,at the start of the week I was offered this job full time ( I have been doing it by default anyway i.e the occupant of the posn dont have a f******* clue) which I said I would do it as a family man I was interested in it purely by the stability.

In the meantime I have been approached by a Co that wants my services. They will pay twice what I get now plus Health Ins for the whole family,along with fully found lodgings and a car

The Dilema I suffer is

Should I go to somewhere no one knows to much about for more money

or

Should I stay where I am

Cheers
    Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Nodnerb2:D

Show me the money!

Twice as much with all those benefits would be real hard to pass up IMO.........
    Go Pats

The fact that you are debating the issue, means that you have a certain desire to improve your life. That is good...

Take the new job. You will always wonder what could of been if you don't

Ultimate Member
    Would I take the job with the new company?

Absolutely.

We've established what you have to gain, so what do you have to lose?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies Guys and Gals?

All I have to loose is that warm comfy? feeling of belonging somewhere( work wise) plus the unspoken security of working with a team that you konw and trust.

If and it's a probility when I start with these other guys I will be out there on my own devoid of familiar surroundings.

Mind you I was told at the last interview that their mind had been made up in 1 min of talikng to someone who was not on my nlist of personal references. They asked this other guy I have had dealings with and evidently his first comment sealed it for my prospective employers. All the things he didn't like about me were just what the new guys were looking for.

I am soon to be 42, all I want is a secure future for myself and my family. The Co I am with now has spared no expense for MCSE for me and a load of other crap so I feel in some way obliged to them I feel stale with what I am doing and can't see any progression to a higher post than I now attain, other than death of an occupant of such a post which is highly unlikely by natural attrition as they are all about my age.

Cheers

Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Go to the CO you are at now and ask them to match. If they cannot, think about your family, twice the pay will buy a lot more groceries.
    A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, Sonicwall CSSA

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    I understand what you are saying, Nodnerb... It's a dilemma, going from the "known-and-comfy" to the "unknown-but-possibly-better"....and there have been some pretty good thoughts posted already:

Firstly, the thoughts of Prison Kids:
    Take the new job. You will always wonder what could of been if you don't.
    But then, KAknight chimes in with a pretty good idea, as well:
    Go to the CO you are at now and ask them to match.
    IMO, this is really what it all comes down to. I don't see an ethical dilemma here; go with the 2nd idea first, and if there's no joy there, then go with the 1st one.

Good luck, buddy!

Ultimate Member
    Tough one.

Since the current employer has "spared no expense for MCSE for me", they've got an investment in you and you're right to feel obligated. But OTOH you have an obligation to your family as well.

Can you speak to a superior & outline the situation w/o risking termination? Someone you trust that has authority? If so, tell him (or her) how you feel - that you're torn between these obligations, that you ARE dedicated to the co, but concerned about your personal future. Etc, etc. Keep the other co's name to yourself, btw.

Several reactions are possible, but if handled properly it'll be favorable & he'll either wish you well or make a counter offer - either way, no bridge has been burned. That's vital!

But first, there's a few questions to honestly ask yourself.

How much of my current success is due to my own individual effort, or is it largely due to solid teamwork and "team chemistry"?

Can I do the new job up to expectations?

Is the other co a competitor? If so,
    Do they really want me, or are they just after breaking up a competitor's team?
    (I've had that offer!)

This statement would scare me: "Should I go to somewhere no one knows to much about" - leads to the question:
    Are they a sound place to work? Will they be around awhile?

Does anything about the offer "smell fishy"?

I don't mean to sound negative, just cautious!
    I once had a great offer from a competitor who employed a friend as a manager. We were looking forward to working together, the whole bit. Interview went well, but something got my radar going, maybe just a feeling or whatever. I held off - and dodged a bullet!!
    Turned out to be a ploy - they never intended anything lasting, in fact my friend was unemployed within a month!!

Anyway, just be careful - but not too careful!!

Hi,

I am flying back to work tomorrow, my boss isn't due back until the 6th of Jan so I will not be able to get any answer to the question of just how much they are willing to go to retain my services until later that week.

He has said recently in view of the beating the Dollar has had against the European Currencies that everyone would get an adjustment but I can't really see them upping all the salaries by 20% to compensate for this.

I'll post back with the outcome when all avenues have been explored.

Cheers

Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    Good luck. I feel ya! The wife wants to move to Texas, and I feel like I've finally dug my heels in as an adult out on my own. I have prestige, respect and enjoy my job for the most part. It pays well and doesn't require much more out of me than I'm willing to give it ( which is 110% ). My boss will help me if I need a boost, and I've got stability.

Texas....don't know Texas from Adam, don't know what I would do for a living.... To me, it's a huge risk. If I go there and fail, I have no one to help me off the ground and dust off my clothes. I know that part should be up to me period, but it's always good to have a friend close by that can help. And mostly, I don't want to start all over.

On the other hand, if I had a job offer that gave me a considerable increase in pay, and that increase wasn't going to get sucked up by the local economy because it's more expensive to live there....I'd be a little more willing to budge.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

The big question you have to ask is are you happy right now. Does your family have enough money? Do you already have health insurance? Ask your family what they think.

I would be suspicious of this company. If they are willing to pay double and even buy you a car, there must be some sort of catch. How much training do you have exactly? Do you have a bachelor degree? Master degree? PhD? If you don't have a master's or a PhD, the offer seems too good to be true. Maybe the job is not what you think it is; they might want you to work weird hours like 9PM to 5AM, or something just as bad.

Don't do anything until you find out more about this company. See if they've been around for a while. See if they are a publicly traded company, and if so, check the stock value over the past few years to see how successful the company is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information