View Poll Results: Have you switched from MS to *unix?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 16.28%
  • No

    41 47.67%
  • In-between

    31 36.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 92
  1. #41
    Ultimate Member ShawnD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001
    I have tried Linux, but I could not get any of the distros I tried to work with my internet. They would be able to detect the internet right after a fresh isntall, but as soon as the computer gets restarted, it lost all internet activity. I even set a static IP (it couldn't pick up an IP fromt he router) and it still didn't accept it. THe only way to get it back was to reinstall Linux again. So every time I had to restart the computer, I had to reinstall linux again to get the internet to work.
    .
    That's so crazy. I had that exact same problem for a while too.

    I would switch but there's a serious lack of an office package. Open Office is not compatible with Microsoft Excel. The graphs show up as white spaces with no plotted points, no trendline, no formula for that trendline, and no R^2 value for that trendline. Very effective way to turn a computer into an expensive paper weight.

    Quote Originally Posted by CMonster
    yeah - typing man can be cumbersome and out of reach...
    The man pages don't help if you don't know what you are looking for. For example, how do I change file accessability? If you ask a forum, nobody will help you. You can't check the man pages either because you don't know what you're looking for. You can't even lookup the command because you don't know what the command is. I only know of the command "chmod" because a friend I know in real life told me that command.... that was after some Linux jerks on a forum refused to even answer my simple question that required a 1 word answer.
    Last edited by ShawnD1; November 21st, 2005 at 08:13 AM.
    "I'm hung like a horse and will kill you for no reason."
    -dlpetey

  2. #42
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,292
    I found that to be a big problem when I started with Linux. I knew I wanted to do something but had no idea on where to start looking for the command. Someone finally showed me the -k option for man. With it you can search man pages which makes everything so much easier.

    I was going to put bf2 in linux but I found out that transgaming doesn't have punkbuster support yet. Which means to play online I would have to play on one of the 3 servers that are unranked and don't have punkbuster. Pretty pointless.

    Something needs to be done to get gamemakers to create linux versions of games. Using transgaming just isn't going to cut it.

  3. #43
    Ultimate Member SpaceSquad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthbean
    Something needs to be done to get gamemakers to create linux versions of games. Using transgaming just isn't going to cut it.
    mhmm

    Doom3, Quake series, and Unreal 2k4 are just some of the titles that have native linux versions. I do wish that more companies made linux games. I have sent some emails around to some game developers in hopes of them realizing the potential market of *nix users.
    -Space

  4. #44
    Ultimate Member CMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,994
    Windows is fine - I like Windows (just not on my machines). My son says: "Windows is job security." I say, Hey... if you are a mechanic you don't want to see cars that never break down. The only thing I wish is that users of MS Windows and MS Office would do so according to the license agreement and be sure to pay for it -- it seems every other person I see singing the praises of Microsoft is winking, waving a corporate version of XP, cracked game CDs, and a burned copy of Photoshop -- sorry to rant, and I have to admit that I was guilty early on, but I have long since cleaned up my act and the rampant hypocrisy really bugs me... pay for what you got and then get back to me on what a great deal it is.

    No offense intended at those honest individuals out there who actually pay for their proprietary software - you are to be commended.

    Linux networking: Other than a poorly supported (or unsupported) network device, the problems people typically encounter are configuration and a lack of basic networking knowledge. Yep MS Windows is easier... like being spoon fed in this regard.

    Office: OpenOffice.org is awesome - yes there are some probelms when you save certain items in MS office format - but this problem is averted if OO.o is also in the other ocmputers and you use native formats... However, MS Office will in fact run on Linux - but it costs a little for crossover, but this is likely a third or less than the legitimate cost of the MS Windows version that is 50% likely pirated on the machine in question anyway. Now if OO.o turns a computer into a paperweight then I guess not much was being done with that machine anyway. My kid's small private school saved an estimated $7,000 just at one location by switching to OO.o on those expensive paperweights (including the ones in the lab), averaged at $150 a seat.

    BTW - Please submit bug reports about OpenOffice.org BE PART OF THE SOLUTION

    oh and here is a great forum to ask Linux questions where people are friendly and try their best to provide help - I haven't seen anyone answering "RTFM" there -lol
    Last edited by CMonster; November 21st, 2005 at 01:02 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Geforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    602
    Amazing. What a really interesting read this thread. Keep it going guys.
    IT Noob

  6. #46
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,292
    Space squad, thanks for mentioning those games. I should have been less all inclusive in my remark. To rephrase, I hope that more game companys realize the marked they will have by supporting linux and help us out.

  7. #47
    Ultimate Member ShawnD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by CMonster
    Windows is fine - I like Windows (just not on my machines). My son says: "Windows is job security." I say, Hey... if you are a mechanic you don't want to see cars that never break down. The only thing I wish is that users of MS Windows and MS Office would do so according to the license agreement and be sure to pay for it -- it seems every other person I see singing the praises of Microsoft is winking, waving a corporate version of XP, cracked game CDs, and a burned copy of Photoshop -- sorry to rant, and I have to admit that I was guilty early on, but I have long since cleaned up my act and the rampant hypocrisy really bugs me... pay for what you got and then get back to me on what a great deal it is.
    Nobody is saying MS is a good deal; we're just saying it does what we want when we want it.
    "I'm hung like a horse and will kill you for no reason."
    -dlpetey

  8. #48
    Ultimate Member Blitzkreig75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3
    completely? - no as i game alot

    i have about three machines running linux, but they arent my main desktop

    different boxes are used for different jobs
    Same here. I love the feel and look of the few Linux distros I have, but My primary unit needs to have Windows because the games I play.

    BELEIVE me, if I could play Fable and Sacred on one of my Linux computers as well as my Windows unit does,(if at all!), I'd never use Windows again.
    Check out my music:
    http://www.bandmix.com/blitzkreig75/
    System error 99909: Bang head on keyboard to continue

  9. #49
    I am a banana! originel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Texas Tech
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by athlonxpguy
    And Opendirectory is OpenLDAP. Which is open source, and still in its infancy compared to eDirectory or AD
    If you say so, despite the fact that AD is an LDAP system. What I've seen is that all the main stuff we do in AD we can do in OD. Also, Access Control Lists give us slightly more fine-grained control over network shares on a per-user basis. And let's not forget that you can manage an AD directly through OS X, meaning you don't have to have a windows server to run AD (just exchange).

    I guess really I've got a questions for you: Have you ever administered a network with an Xserve G5 running OS X server? I'm guessing no based on your un-informed remarks. Remember that knowledge of the open-source technology that Apple uses does not mean you know how OS X works, because Apple modifies (often heavily) the open source software before they integrate it with OS X.
    Last edited by originel; November 21st, 2005 at 07:35 PM.

  10. #50
    Father V2.0 washe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mexicali, Mexico
    Posts
    5,144
    For the average Joe windows is their best option, it easy to use, they can navigate trought it with out much hasle. due that it does half off the work....

    Most off the commercial software and games are written for Windows that makes the market share tend to it, I dont say windows is bad, I use at work Windows on our worksation that involves using a cad software, Illustrator and Corel draw, those applications are only on Windows.

    on other hand they easily screw up the machine with lots off spyware, trojans, virus and whatever you can caught in the web, for people like myself that repair installations without resorting to the typical reformat its a pretty nice market..

    I have been using linux for a couple off years to experiment mainly on a dual boot machine.

    Why I use linux, right now I made a file server for my small company with network shares, that host different files.. due the TCP IP restriction I cannot have more than 10 active connections on a single box in windows, you need to buy Windows Server with X number off clients and that quite expensive.... Linux was my solution, I could use a old P3 that I had and tis working as a server for files, hosting an internal webpage, a teamspeak server and lately its hosting CS Source matches... and that machine havent rebooted for about 5 weeks and still runs like a champ even when it has high load on it.

    Open Office works great, I havent got on any problems yet, new users in the cafe like it pretty much, some still use MS office but most dont notice the change.

    Linux is not easy, you have to read pretty carefully man pages and take some time on forums to find you want to do, but overall its rewarding not depending on point and click.. and do it in the console in a few seconds instead off navigating wizards....
    someone is more skilled than you!

    http://s7.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=23753

  11. #51
    Ultimate Member SpaceSquad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    2,742
    Actually, I would say OS X is the best OS for the average joe. very easy to use...even easier than windows. Most mainstream joe blow software is available for mac too (Msn messenger, MS office), and with the mac mini...it brings on new levels of affordability. You also get a virus-free (mostly) computer.
    -Space

  12. #52
    Ultimate Member dchw_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Posts
    1,356
    I ahve not swithed fully over to linux yet because of some compatibility issues . . . I need a few apps that wine can't run.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

  13. #53
    Fur ballin Sixpac_XP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    4,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakamov
    c'mon microsoft isn't the terrible company everyone thinks they are >_>
    they just make crappy programs
    MS doesn't make crappy programs..

    MS Office 2003 (expensive yes but not crappy).

    Exchange 2003 (best mail software ever).

    Encarta

    MS Money

    SQL 2000 (have been running it for years).

    ISA 2004 (proxy/firewall)..

    MS Antispyware (beta)

    Windows XP (with SP2)
    --- Standby to receive our transmission ---

  14. #54
    Newbie filipino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,922
    did use redhat linux 6 cant remember when but i think 90's or something but cant make money out of it, started learning visual basic 6 then make money then start learning asp, php and coldfusion then make money out of it then adobe Photoshop also start to make money out of it, then adobe illustrator and premier then start to make money out of it.

    i dont see any reason why i have to switch back to no money baby. I can deal with spyware etc. what can i do all business try to hit each other creating something to destroy em.

    If linux rules OS around the world then Linux should get what M$ is currently getting now. Its all a game if you can’t beat em join em, like what Linux is trying to do now a days.

    There is no such thing as a perfect code LOL all programs/code has their weakness. If you’re smart then, there are people way smarter than you.

    OSX is nice thou.
    I miss Dimebag Darrell

  15. #55
    Member athlonxpguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    343
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by originel
    If you say so, despite the fact that AD is an LDAP system. What I've seen is that all the main stuff we do in AD we can do in OD. Also, Access Control Lists give us slightly more fine-grained control over network shares on a per-user basis. And let's not forget that you can manage an AD directly through OS X, meaning you don't have to have a windows server to run AD (just exchange).

    I guess really I've got a questions for you: Have you ever administered a network with an Xserve G5 running OS X server? I'm guessing no based on your un-informed remarks. Remember that knowledge of the open-source technology that Apple uses does not mean you know how OS X works, because Apple modifies (often heavily) the open source software before they integrate it with OS X.
    I am quite well informed, as I work in the IT field and have experience in both eDirectory and AD in large corporate networks (13,000 users). You have the attitude that you know everything. What is your job BTW?
    I stated that AD and eDirectory are more mature that OD. Both are MUCH more in use than OD. Have you ever administered a eDirectory network? Not everyone is Apple in the brain
    AMD 64 3800+ Venice | GeIL 2GB PC3200 (4x512mb) | ASUS A8N-E | 8600GTS 256MB | Antec NeoPower 480 PSU Antec | SLK3000B case | Samsung 2168W LCD

  16. #56
    Ultimate Member Epyon9283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    South Brunswick, NJ,
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by athlonxpguy
    And Opendirectory is OpenLDAP. Which is open source, and still in its infancy compared to eDirectory or AD.
    but openldap is older than AD.

  17. #57
    I am a banana! originel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Texas Tech
    Posts
    3,921
    I am quite well informed, as I work in the IT field and have experience in both eDirectory and AD in large corporate networks (13,000 users).
    So you haven't worked with OD in OS X then. You can have all the experience in the world with one product, but that doesn't automatically make you an expert in another field.

    You have the attitude that you know everything. What is your job BTW?
    IT guy for a research institution of about 400 users, part of a larger system of about 40,000 +/- users. I never said I know everything, but you are discussing the intricasies of a system that you do not use on a regular basis that I do use on a regular basis and do have a good knowledge of.

    Have you ever administered a eDirectory network?
    I have not, but then again we aren't talking about eDirectory, and I never mentioned anything about how good/bad eDirectory is because I am not familiar with that system. I only discuss systems that I am familiar with.

    I stated that AD and eDirectory are more mature that OD.
    And? Maturity doesn't matter when both solutions are both very mature (and I'm haven't seen any signs of the fact that OD isn't as mature as AD, but I'm not familiar with the history of both, so I won't make a stance on that). Once you get to that point, what matters is features. AD and OD have similar features, and even share similar underpinnings. The largest difference between the two is the interface and how you set things up really (and they are very different in this regard).

    Both are MUCH more in use than OD.
    And? Intel is used much much more than AMD, but that doesn't make Intel better (quite the opposite in fact).
    Last edited by originel; November 22nd, 2005 at 07:05 PM.

  18. #58
    Ultimate Member CMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    5,994
    It doesn't matter to me if I use Snap-on or Mac tools so long as I get the job done and get paid. Some brands work better than other at a given task - I prefer the feel of Snap-on; I like the price of Husky...

  19. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnD1
    The man pages don't help if you don't know what you are looking for. For example, how do I change file accessability? If you ask a forum, nobody will help you. You can't check the man pages either because you don't know what you're looking for. You can't even lookup the command because you don't know what the command is. I only know of the command "chmod" because a friend I know in real life told me that command.... that was after some Linux jerks on a forum refused to even answer my simple question that required a 1 word answer.
    And the first time you sat down at a windows command prompt you automatically knew what to type to get a directory listing or network card information? You automatically knew what to ask for in help to find the command?

    Why is it people think after using windows for years, Linux should be automatic. That they will not have to "learn" Linux.

    You were not born with Windows knowledge. Sure, after using it for years it may seem that way, but not. at some point you had to read a book, ask for help, or take a class. And just like you were not born with Windows knowledge, you were not born with Linux knowledge. Linux is not Windows. Windows is not Linux. Do not expect Windows knowledge to get you through Linux. Linux is a different language. Until you learn it, do not expect to be able to use it with any degree of success.

  20. #60
    Ultimate Member ShawnD1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by el_jefe
    And the first time you sat down at a windows command prompt you automatically knew what to type to get a directory listing or network card information? You automatically knew what to ask for in help to find the command?
    DOS was basic enough to not require any sort of help. There were no video cards, no network cards, no sound cards; nothing. The computer turned on and you started whatever program you wanted. You didn't need to configure anything. At the time, it was not uncommon to have a paper template on your keyboard that listed what most of the keys did. By the time things had a chance to get complicated, Windows was mainstream, so that was never an issue.
    "I'm hung like a horse and will kill you for no reason."
    -dlpetey

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What happens if IDE cables are switched?
    By Ymer in forum Technical Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM
  2. I switched to linux Now WHAt?
    By SKYLINEGTR33MWJ in forum Applications and Operating Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 14th, 2003, 09:21 PM
  3. Switched to Mandrake 8.2!!!
    By Solid Snake in forum General Tech Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: August 28th, 2002, 12:51 PM
  4. My brain has switched off
    By Graham in forum Technical Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 11th, 2002, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc