View Poll Results: Have you switched from MS to *unix?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 16.28%
  • No

41 47.67%
  • In-between

31 36.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DOS was simple? Didn't need any help?

I guess I was slow... should have known instinctively how to configure that sound card and awesome $200 2XCDROM drive I finally installed ... oh the joy of autoexec.bat, config.sys, interrupts and IO addresses, load high? huh?... out of memory? Too many TSRs? What's a TSR? Was there a Google I could turn to? Oops have to install and configure the modem before I can go to that awesome text bbs...

copy
    xcopy
    DOS matured C:\>xopy c:*.* /h/i/c/k/e/r/y d:

deltree?

DOS was awesome
    Last edited by CMonster; November 26th, 2005 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnD1
    DOS was basic enough to not require any sort of help. There were no video cards, no network cards, no sound cards; nothing. The computer turned on and you started whatever program you wanted. You didn't need to configure anything. At the time, it was not uncommon to have a paper template on your keyboard that listed what most of the keys did. By the time things had a chance to get complicated, Windows was mainstream, so that was never an issue.
    Dos wasn't basic or simple for someone who has never used it. Without help from reading the documentation how would someone even know how to see what files are in a directory?

There were video cards. Your monitor had to connect to something. There were also sound cards. I had a sound blaster in my 386. It did need to be configured. Both on the card itself using jumpers to set the irq and stuff and through software. My 1x cd-rom needed to have extra software loaded to be able to use it. I needed to configure EVERYTHING on my computer when I was using dos.

Quote Originally Posted by CMonster
    DOS was simple? Didn't need any help?

I guess I was slow... should have known instinctively how to configure that sound card and awesome $200 2XCDROM drive I finally installed ... oh the joy of autoexec.bat, config.sys, interrupts and IO addresses, load high? huh?... out of memory? Too many TSRs? What's a TSR? Was there a Google I could turn to? Oops have to install and configure the modem before I can go to that awesome text bbs...

copy
    xcopy
    DOS matured C:\>xopy c:*.* /h/i/c/k/e/r/y d:

deltree?

DOS was awesome
    My DOS computer started in MS DOS Shell which looked sort of like windows explorer. I could select an item then do what I wanted by hitting the alt key and going through the menus; moving stuff around was easy.

I've configured one of those 5" drives before and it wasn't too hard, but I couldn't figure out how to setup a CD drive. It was probably similar, but my DOS manual just didn't have anything about CD drives.
    "I'm hung like a horse and will kill you for no reason."
    -dlpetey

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnD1
    My DOS computer started in MS DOS Shell which looked sort of like windows explorer. I could select an item then do what I wanted by hitting the alt key and going through the menus; moving stuff around was easy.

I've configured one of those 5" drives before and it wasn't too hard, but I couldn't figure out how to setup a CD drive. It was probably similar, but my DOS manual just didn't have anything about CD drives.
    Is the pic I attached what you're talking about?

I started using DOS at version 3.0. Didn't have the dosshell command. Even if the later versions I used did have it, I didn't know about it. All I got when I booted my computer was this:
    C:\>

I didn't have a GUI until my father got Windows 3.1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you switched yet?-dosshell.gif  

Fired up a machine last night

Suse 10.1
    sweet.
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

I shall switch to *nix 100% on the day i can get my printer to work well with it...
    as for now, i havce to dual boot mysystem only to print! >???????????

I hear you on that printing issue - for common home use Windows has better printing and it is better integrated across applications.

I specifically purchase hardware for Linux compatibility and usually get better hardware in the process. Most Epson printers work okay with Linux and many HP work very well. Laserjet printers that conform to standards give quite excelent use in Linux.

Printers I have and use with Linux:

Epson C80/82 - occasionally image color adjustment is necessary to obtain desired output

HP Photosmart 1115 (have not been able to get card readers on this printer to work in Linux) - great photo quality prints with hp driver - I like to print images from kwickshow, not gimp - I edit in gimp but somehow have never been satisfied with the printing from gimp regardless of the driver selected.

Brother HL1870N - fully functional networked laserjet

I haven't found any easy drag-and-drop into templates photo printing software for Linux, like the free Kodak stuff; I was going to try one that someone recommended but just haven't had time.

Epyon - lol @dosshell I remember that

I haven't experienced any issues with printing but I have HP printers. Had more trouble setting up printing on OS X. Had to go and install hpijs on os x to be able to print to a lpd print server. That took me a while to figure out since the HP site and apple both said the printer was supported.

kinda sketchy on the whole linux ubuntu thing....

I'm not even sure if my games will support the ubuntu, nor do I even know why I should even use it...

sounds nice and fruity, like firefox, but I am the n00b at operating system installation, so I'd just rather let my system be.
    Mac Mini—2Ghz—2GB RAM—Snow Leopard
    PC—e6420 2.16Ghz—2GB RAM—8800GT—ASUS P5LD2—XP
    EEE 1000H—1.6Ghz—1GB RAM—XP

Ultimate Member
    im probally going to stick with Windows since all the programs and hardware i use has compatability to it
    Athlon 64 3400+ (22-28*C)
    ECS 755-A2 1.1B Bios
    40GB & 80GB Internal HDD
    160GB External HDD
    Corsair 2GB PC3200 RAM
    ATI AIW Radeon 9600 128MB 8X

since the day that i discovered linux, the freaking distro that i could not install was gentoo linux
    i spent literally 24hours reasearching / burning cds / input codes, and in the end, failure!!

maybe it was because the only real way "avaible to me" was through the text installation... there was no real preset guide like in suse or mandrake or even redhad... everything was text

atleast, i did learn a couple of things from it

I installed gentoo after running redhat 9 for a couple months. If you follow the installation guide exactly it isn't that bad. It is time consuming though.

About an hour ago I completed a Gentoo amd64 installation. Took about 4 hours, but only because i missed one crucial step in the handbook. Right now I am waiting for #emerge --update --deep --newuse world to finish. Tommorrow I'll configure it with X, etc. First gentoo install, and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought, as soon as I got the mistake sorted out. Anyways, my point is (I guess), this computer will run Linux and Linux only (although I may throw another distribution on there later to experiment).
    eskiled is Against-TCPA

I installed Ubuntu on my IBM Thinkpad 600E (old old laptop) today, but I couldn't figure out how to get the wireless card working (WG511). Probably more trouble than it is worth -.-
    Mr. Jiggyfly, I have good news...

I have to revive this thread, for I just made the switch. A friend of mine intrigued me with SuSE live, then I DLed Damn Small Linux and tried the embedded version on my winBox. Finally, after reading somewhere that everyone wanting to learn Linux should pick up Slackware, I downloaded Slackware, and I've had it running for about a week now. Got my mouse and wireless NIC to work, and felt like I just made the hugest breakthrough of my life. I feel more inclined to turn on my Slack box than my winBox, and it's just a matter of time now before the switch is 100% complete for me.

i started learnin linux when MDK 8.0 was out. basically just to learn sumthing new. dual booted it an wndows for about a year. while learning the basics and re-learning how to do things that were simple in windows. also i spent a lot of time searching for the perfect distro. and man i musta tried like 100 of them. finally after i knew what i was doing enuf to get a working debian system installed i did away with windows.

so i guess u could say i switched out of boredom. but looking back, ive grown to dislike windows and M$ in general. i still have to use windows daily at work. and when i think of the time and money and headaches we could save it just dumbfounds me.

the other day i set up a debian box on the network for some of the software support peeple to mess with... lets just say we will b sticking to windows at work for a long time....

Leader of the Crab People Redwolf's Avatar
    I use linux most of the time now...windows every now and then.

When I got my most recent job the first thing I did was wipe XP off of the laptop they gave me and installed Slackware and have not looked back since. Now they are looking to roll out Linux to the rest of the office!

i use linux and windows the same, i might switch completely when a 3.0 or higher kernel comes out because all my hardware will probably be compatible

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information