Partition Number: 1, Filesystem Type unknown, Partition Type 0x82
    Partiton Number: 2. Filesystem Type unknown, Partition Type 0xc
    Partition Number: 3, Filesystem Type FAT, Partition Type 0xe
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Booting Fedora at (hdb,1)
    ERROR 25: error while parsing number
    ERROR 8: Kernel must be loaded before booting

Find /-name(what name?) stage 1
    cd /user/lib/grub/i386-pc(RedHat Fedora stage 1+2 for installer boot floppy only)
    dd if=stage 1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    dd if=stage 2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
    failed to produce Grub boot floppy from Knoppix Live dvd or ubuntu Live cd.

Rawrite used on img image produced Fedora installer floppy.
    "mkdisk" utility on Knoppix Live distribution made unbootable floppy
    Grub.exe on second 98/Linux hard drive did load XP on first primary drive.

The one hold up at present is finding the means to create the need Grub boot floppy where
    the grub prompt will be able to load Core 4. Gentoo and Mepis Live cds are the next effort.

That post made no sense. Why did you show us the drive geometry in grub? How did you try booting to get that error?

Banned
    Grub4Dos readily detected the Core 4 partition where the files were copied to. A geometry
    request was made while in the BASH root shell at the grub prompt there while running the
    Knoppix Live for dvd cd-r image. Knoppix readily used Fedora's 2b swap for complete access
    to all drives on the system. Mepis as well as Knoppix Live have so far only made boot disks
    to load the live cd if the disk was unbootable. The commands instructed on another forum
    as well as in some Linux tutorials failed to see a working Grub floppy.

The alternative use of rawrite was to create a boot floppy that would load a grub prompt
    since other efforts haven't seen results. The bulk of material downloaded is primary that of
    Red Hat where unfortunately the only img images available are for floppy installers for C4.
    While being in dos after using a 98 startup disk Grub.exe readily saw Core 4 but failed boot
    of the installation. A command line option to boot hdb1 saw the error there as well. Yet the
    same grub prompt entry "rootnoverify (hda,0) saw XP come right up being that is set as the
    master drive in the system. That happened while being in the 98 primary on the second hd.

The above geometry was provided to show the current layout of the second drive as seen
    by Linux. Unfortunately the attempts to add other distros like ubuntu, Knoppix, Gentoo, and
    Mepix all wanted to "wipe the drive" in order to install those. That was after following advice
    to install another distro to see a grub loader installed. What is needed is a grub floppy that
    will load not install Core 4 as well as loading 98 and even XP without change on either mbr.

Blog Entries
    PC_TECH...are you trying to get nominations for the uh, Microsoft Valuable Player or something like that for online help, LOL? Just joking. I'm still lost in this blog...I thought everything was fixed? I still don't understand why you post what you are posting in this thread...yes, I'm LOST.

Famos

...sing it Lambchops

'this is the thread that never ends,
    yes it goes on and on my friends,
    PC TECH250 started posting it not knowing what it was,
    and he'll go on forever, posting just because,

this is the thread that never ends...
    yes it goes on an on my friends...'

loadlin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by famosbrown
    PC_TECH...are you trying to get nominations for the uh, Microsoft Valuable Player or something like that for online help, LOL? Just joking. I'm still lost in this blog...I thought everything was fixed? I still don't understand why you post what you are posting in this thread...yes, I'm LOST.

Famos
    THINK YOU ARE LOST? The side panels just went back on the case after the effort
    just to make a workable grub boot floppy seems in limbo! That is one thing that is
    stalling the whole thing besides designating the second drive entirely to just one
    Linux distro. 98 has problems with 2gb of ram installed. 3.1 runs better! Fedora on
    a 50gb partition with 3.1 on the 2g Fat16 primary and a 60gb NTFS for backing up
    the XP master is starting to sound like a better idea! At least Core 4 would run in
    having the Legacy grub installed into the mbr with the XP drive disconnected at the time this is done. A 95 startup floppy would let dos and 3.1 go to work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CMonster
    ...sing it Lambchops

loadlin
    It hasn't quite ended yet. But 98 may become a dinosaur.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMonster
    ...sing it Lambchops

loadlin

Banned
    Will this work? http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=144209 That was
    one concept written for Windows users to be able to preserve their mbrs. Let's see if it can
    load Core 4 with 98 still on the drive. No one else has offered a solution here yet.

What is the issue with using grub on the primary hdd's mbr?

I use it and I'm able to boot linux, xp, 98, and solaris without issues.

If it breaks anything just boot into a windows recovery console and use the fixmbr command.

Banned
    The idea of the 98/Linux installation is a custom install where the XP master drive does not
    see any changes made. The grub floppy was claimed by the author at the link provided as a
    means of mutlibooting without even having any changes made to the 98 primary on the 2nd
    slave drive. 98 as well as the Linux Live cds also share another problem on top of this.

Knoppix Live for dvd was great for naming all hardware on the system by name. But neither
    98 or Linux have sound since the Audigy 4 Pro was used to replace the former Audigy 2. The
    former sound card supported 98 where the new card goes from WIN2000 up. 98 was placed
    on a 2gb Fat16 primary where 3.1 can run with no issues. 98 can not even open a prompt
    due to having more then 512mb of ram installed on the system. That is a hardrware issue.
    The link's advice will be given an effort with the XP drive disconnected again to prevent the
    type of mishap that occured the first time around to see if Core 4 will run. A ubuntu floppy
    failed to boot Fedora while booting both XP on the master drive and 98 on the second.

You're causing yourself a lot more trouble by attempting to do it this way. A floppy isn't big enough to use to boot fedora. The kernel is larger than what will fit on a single floppy.
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=45910

The audigy4 will work in Linux provided that you have the most recent version of ALSA.

98 will work with >512mb of ram. You just need to change a setting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Did you do any research?

Banned
    The idea behind the grub boot floppy was for the additional distros added later as advised
    continually by the author of the link provided who claims to boot Fedora as well as a number
    of other distros along with Windows 98 and XP. It was suspected that there was something
    wrong when the only boot floppy you could make was for a floppy installer.

To have 98 run on any system with more then 512mb the edit of the system.ini file is done
    for adding one line in the "386enh" portion. "MaxPhysPage=30000" and in some cases the
    slight increase of "MaxPhysPage=34000" according Microsoft articles already reviewed. But
    even with 98 loading with an increase up to "=40000" the dos prompt or some programs in
    that environment will fail to open with 2gb of ram on the system. 98SE was the earliest OS
    that can offer dsl service. That is why it was there if the first place along with obvious sound
    of "Windows familiarity". But then the memory issue...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q184447 creeps in with the lack
    of a working sound card for 98. If it was known ahead of time the Audigy 4 would not have
    even been installed for that reason. And the new card isn't going to be pulled for onboard.
    This was about last mobo found at the time that still supported 98.

Banned
    Do you think getting the full instruction on making a Grub boot floppy could help? Read this:

Post #48:
    "Distribution: "3.1 Creating a GRUB boot floppy
    To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files stage1 and stage2 from the image directory, and write them to the first and the second block of the floppy disk, respectively.

Caution: This procedure will destroy any data currently stored on the floppy.

On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following commands:

# cd /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc
    # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
    153+1 records in
    153+1 records out
    #

The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your OS."
    That looks a little different then the Post #4 instruction of:

I could have misinterpreted your information as you could have put the two system together in one disk but the above two items of information will enable us to solve the puzzle.

"Code:
    find / -name stage1 Ubuntu will return with a subdirectory name , say it is /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc (adjust in accordance with you own circumstance) your change directory to this subdirectory by

Code:
    cd /usr/lib/grub/i386-pcYou then pop a floppy into the drive and write the stage1 and stage2 onto the floppy by "dd" commands

Code:
    dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1 This Grub floppy can boot any PC system manually."
    As you can see there are some BIG differences in the instructions to creating a grub boot floppy with a lack
    of 4 critical command lines. Since the cd-r/rw writer is second to the dvd-r/rw on the system, the following
    will be tried accordingly when retrying the Knoppix Live for dvd(cd-r version).

"2 cd /user/lib/grub/i386-pc
    2 dd if=stage 1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    2 dd if=stage 2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
    153+1 records in
    153+1 records out"
    The remaining question would be if "2" substitues for "#" in the command structure? You will also note that
    there are 4 additional command lines here. This is one reason why the previous attempts were to fail. The new
    lines here instruct the stage 1+2 to be installed to specific sectors on the boot floppy. Anytime you give an
    instruction on a process make sure the complete information or link where you found instruction is provided.
    In Post #47 you finally provided a link for review of this particular Linux manual."
    And what was that link? http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Banned
    So what was found to make a Grub boot floppy in the long run? A no fuss method prevailed.
    http://cstein.kings.cam.ac.uk/~chris/bootgrub.html Now to create a boot floppy with a Full
    Grub loader added will be the next step since this one couldn't load the Core 4 kernel. But it did
    have "more encouraging" results. Even found a few more commands like: "kernel=/ [TAB]"
    and "root=(hdb,?) [TAB]". The better part was finally seeing:

"GRUB loading stage 2.....
    Booting 'Boot HDb (Hard Disk 2, MBR)
    root (HD1)
    Filesystem Type unknown(98SE actually) using whole disk
    chainloader +1"
    Well getting a little closer by the minute anyway.
    Last edited by PC TECH250; January 17th, 2006 at 07:06 AM.

Banned
    Well getting a little further away from 98 now.... WHAT! 98 is now "extinct"?! As trying the
    idea of explaining to one Linux supposed geek that claims to boot Fedora cores 2, 3, 4, and
    5 along with 98 and XP as well, no 1.44mb will ever load Core 4 with no grub loader already
    installed into the drive's mbr. "Well I posted this and posted that." TO NO AVAIL! So one day
    recently you go to boot XP after seeing that 98 can not run correctly with 2gb of ram along
    with the newer hardwares and.... you simply "press a key" and see Fedora's Core 4 up and
    running as "smooth as silk" with the anaconda Legacy Grub loader installed right up to the?
    "Please create new user name and password" section. You end up saying one last word for
    the uncooperative 98SE. And what could that possibly be? "98SE YOU WERE IMPOSSIBLE!"!
    (now to find ATI, Creative, and few other drivers for Core 4.)

Banned
    "Senior Member

That is great news. I thought I could be here for the next Christmas.

Anyway if you are happy with Knoppix consider it as part of your installed systems, since you could be pretty skilfull with it now.

I wouldn't trying too hard to solve the hardware problems now because installing a few distros and you will find all of them work. You can then go back to compare the settings and improve the situation."

Yesterday, 04:40 AM

Something obviously wouldn't go on during the first installations. The last two were done with a second set of cd-rs after a repeat download. Yet the second set still saw the same error message when trying to verify quality of burn. The Knoppix Live acts like a free agent that go between Linux and MS partitions. That is why that is kept onhand in cd-r form. Apparently the second install of Core 4 mainly due to XP not accepting SP2 on the prior 2gb partition and cause for a repartition and reformat saw one thing different. A partition for
    Mountng saw a change is size due to not being large enough. The bulk of Core 4's files were found there where the original 2gb was increased to roughly 40gb as the now XP primary used 54.6gb.

The issues with hardware mainly surrounded 98 not Fedora. It will take time for sound as well as having the FireFox browser configured for going online. But that was to be expected anyway. That's part of learning the ropes inside and out with any operating system you are taking the first steps with. Now the Linux commands in one or more tutorial can be tried out as well. At least you will get a clean bill of health for your patience through all of this. I'll have to let you know which distros will be running on the next upgrade ironically scheduled for the end of the year. And Thank You for seeing this through."

Files were finally found. When entering "Local Host ~l$ ls /boot/grub" the following appeared for the first time.
    "Device.map grub.conf minix_stage1_5 stage2
    e2fs_stage1_5 iso9660_stage1_5 relserfs_stage1_5 vfs2_stage1_5
    fat_stage1_5 jfs_stage1_5 splash.xpm.qz vstafs_stage1_5
    ffs_stage1_5 menu.lst stage1 xfs_stage1 xfs_stage1_5"
    MENU.LST seen for the first time after reinstallation #5 after XP 54.6gb partition replaced a
    previous overwrite of the 98 to XP 2gb primary partition. 98 IMPOSSIBLE! XP-FC4 POSSIBLE!!!
    Last edited by PC TECH250; February 14th, 2006 at 02:41 AM.

[groan]Oh, crud.[/groan]

Banned
    Oh Well, you can't please a critic. But you can work on solutions.

You know using Linux in some cases is a little like overclocking a hamster... and one had better be familliar with the topic of hamsters in these forums or the old ones at that other site

Now some may think it's ok to overclock their hamsters, but taking a regular old run of the mill hamster and putting him on meth and then making the poor little guy run himself to death in a wheel that goes nowhere... tisk tisk tisk

unless of course you shave your hamster and install a good heatsink to facilitate heat transfer and avoid overheating - one might even consider dual hamsters on dual wheels and a water cooler - but for the real deal I suppose refridgeration is the absolute best....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information