+ Reply to Thread

Compatibility issues... (vent)

Good LORD is there no dial up ISP that is compatible with Ubuntu?!
    PeoplePC works only with Windows... NetZero works only with Windows and Mac... What's a girl to do if she can't even set up &*^#$ dialup on her %^#^%$ computer?!?! Is there something I can do? A loophole to get around those pesky little setup and install apps that have .exe file extensions? It seems to be those that are killing me. Will I be stuck with cable internet? ARRRGH!

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The problem is you are using ISP that require you to have the application loaded to connect to them

Im curious on why you would want to go to dialup when you have cable internet?

I am currently in a bit of a financial bind and am living with my parents for the next 2 months... My dad has digital cable in his name, and it's all done by address... So if I want to get cable internet, it would have to go under his name, which I really don't want to do. He shares cable internet with the neighbor, who has a wireless router. My dad has a laptop with wifi... Thus, I am kinda screwed unless his friend cuts me into the whole sharing internet thing which I don't really feel like asking. Besides, I'd have to buy an adapter and all that in 2 months when I am moved into my new place I won't need! So I wanted to go dialup for the time being but CAN'T because it's evil. ARRRGH! see my problem?

[edit: and how do I set up an avatar? I can't seem to find where to do that!]

Arg, I remember Linux on dialup. To make a connection you have to configure your dialer manually. All I needed was my login name and password. Do you already have your modem configured. Is your modem a hardware modem or software modem? What make and model is it.

I use KDE so the dialer I used was KPPP. Ubuntu uses Gnome so take a look at this link and see if it helps. . .

http://www.debianadmin.com/setting-u...in-ubuntu.html

It's been a while so I don't remember a lot of details but that might get you started. Good luck.
    SimplyMepis 8.0. . . Kernel-2.6.27-1-mepis64-smp

Blog Entries
    Why don't you just use windows until you are in a better situation because any free service is gonna require you to use the programs (to push ads)

You need 50 post to put an avatar

I am not sure what make and model... It's an old computer that has changed hands a few times.... Since it was bought new it's been reformatted a handful of times, like 3 OS's, a new mobo, a CD burner, and who knows what else installed! I know what you mean about configuring it... Lemme go to my room and try to see if I can't set it up manually. Thanks so much for the suggestion xeroid!

Just FYI: For the same price as two months service with dog-slow, bargain basement dialup ($20-30), you could buy a cheap wireless PCI card off ebay and enjoy far higher speeds.

Intel chipsets are particularly well supported under Linux.

Sam

Yeah... I was about to say the same thing, samwichse. Just get a wireless card and borrow some internet... If there's no security, it's not illegal (If I remember correctly).
    Intel Core i7-860 OCed to 4.0GHz | ASUS P7P55D-E | G.Skill 8192MB (4x2048MB) RAM | MSI GTX 280 | 2x Seagate 160GB 7200.11 RAID 0

quick question... I configured the connection, but how do I connect? I can't find "network monitor" as that article on debianadmin.com mentioned. I will try using pppconfig and see if maybe I don't have better luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroEvolute View Post
    Yeah... I was about to say the same thing, samwichse. Just get a wireless card and borrow some internet... If there's no security, it's not illegal (If I remember correctly).
    This is a very gray area of the law.

Xeroid since netzero and peoplepc have the application to connect to their network, would you need to have it installed onto the pc?

I know netzero used to have a linux client but isnt supported anymore

I'll just pay 1/3 of my upstairs neighbor's cable net and he'll share with me for the next 2 months til he moves out and I get my own place too... He said he'll give me the security key and share if I agree to pay part like my dad does.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    This is a very gray area of the law.

Xeroid since netzero and peoplepc have the application to connect to their network, would you need to have it installed onto the pc?

I know netzero used to have a linux client but isnt supported anymore
    Yep, when I was on dialup it was with Earthlink. Sorry, I missed the netzero part. You are correct, netzero used to have a client for Linspire which may have worked with most Debian based distros such as Mepis, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, etc. I supposed they discontinued support because I went back to my old bookmark and the Lindows client is no longer available.

Here's my old bookmark . . .

http://www.netzero.net/support/faq/fgtg04.html

Is states . . .
    We also support a Linspire (Linux) version of NetZero. For more information, please visit the main NetZero page.
    But, when you go to the main page there's no mention of Linspire support.

EDIT: Ahh, Netzero System Requirements

NetZero does NOT support the following operating systems: Mac OS 8 or earlier, Windows 3.11 or earlier, Windows CE, Palm OS, Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft X-Box, Web TV, Unix/Linux for PC/Mac, and Mobile Phone Web.
    Last edited by Xeroid; July 20th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
    SimplyMepis 8.0. . . Kernel-2.6.27-1-mepis64-smp

well why would they discontinue that? that makes no sense! GRR!

PeoplePC does not require you to use their software. In windows you can use their built in dialer. I think ubuntu has a built in dialer if you can configure it you will be on your way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information