+ Reply to Thread

Biggest benifit to switching to Linux?

So I use Ubuntu from time to time, but mostly keep it on standby for when things go terribly wrong with friends/family's computers.

the best feature I like is its ability to boot from the disk and treat it as sort of a back door when windows is completely shot in order to trouble shoot and recover files.

Basically toying with the idea of using Ubuntu instead of windows...thoughts? input?

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I only use linux as a proxy/vpn server. Other than that, I have no interest in the desktop portion of it

Its pretty much what your needs are.

you will love it....

Works great for me as my desktop system.

But it does all depend on what you want to do with your system and if you want to spend the money on Windows.

I'm a windows user but have for years had a linux machine running.
    While I know linux, probably as good as you average windows user, I'm no expert.

Recently I have installed Ubuntu in a half dozen computers, and it was easier than XP, as everything worked after an unsupervised install.

If you game, flight sim, or need windows specific programs, it is not for you.

If you don't mind learning a new system,(but not that different from a users stand point) It is a perfectly viable system.

Most user surf, E-mail, and maybe word process, and don't fix their own computers. Linux is every bit as good as windows for that, and you don't need a virus program 99% of the time, if ever.

I have given computers with linux to new users that don't know windows, and they have no problem.

Edit: There are thousands of free programs for Linux.
    Last edited by stroyal; January 20th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

I'll have to explore the free programs- Thanks!

They do have things like flight sim, but I have never had it on a computer with a good enough graphics card to play them.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Quote Originally Posted by stroyal View Post
    They do have things like flight sim, but I have never had it on a computer with a good enough graphics card to play them.
    don't forget the 1000 versions of tetris !! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MexNopal View Post
    don't forget the 1000 versions of tetris !! lol
    No one said they where good, but that was my point in saying " If you game, it's not for you." Kinda like Apple.

And there are still thousands, that aren't games, or close to it.
    Last edited by stroyal; January 20th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Blog Entries
    Good luck with that...

I had a nice attempt of trying to setup a LAMP server today...first of all, the ones managing the repositories for Ubuntu server need to rethink their positions. Suhosin = garbage, stop compiling PHP with Suhosin, it breaks so much stuff (like phpMyAdmin) it's not possible to use. Next I went and tried compiling from source...I knew this wouldn't turn out well...the .so file for apache was not created, and nothing useful when searching for what could have caused it on google. Next I tried another repository, dotdeb, which was supposed to have newer and decent packages...but of course, after I got that setup I ran into a bit of a problem, namely that I had no way of telling if any of the packages listed in apt were from dotdeb (being the updated ones) or even if it was working at all...

All in all, a big friggin headache and a wasted day (back to Windows Server it is).

And don't get me started on desktop linux, it's in an even worse state than server versions.

I find two things rather funny about Linux distros. First, their documentation is as bad as it gets. Why does the documentation from each distro seem to be 5+ major versions out of date (no longer correct) and the only way to get a proper tutorial is through some random website from a search? You are almost required to register on some forum and ask the question to find an answer to a problem you got simply by following the instructions.
    Secondly, the people that think Linux is taking off sometime soon and it'll be used as a desktop replacement for Windows...
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EXreaction View Post
    Suhosin = garbage, stop compiling PHP with Suhosin, it breaks so much stuff (like phpMyAdmin) it's not possible to use.
    The broader programming community generally disagrees with you on this point. Suhosin mediates a plethora of security-lacking aspects of PHP, and the only time that it should break your code is if the code is, well, just bad code.

I have been using Suhosin for a while on multiple servers for many sites and haven't had any problems, including with phpMyAdmin.

Blog Entries
    Hardly, I find very few people who say the slightest good thing of Suhosin and have never had someone suggest it. Of course the difference being with most software and the software written by those I interact with is our software is actually designed to be secure, not the majority of crap that exists otherwise.

Suhosin has caused numerous problems for other things I've made as well. Simple stuff like using user_group for the name of a script (tool) you use will cause it to throw a fit on the default settings. After changing it to usergroup Suhosin doesn't care anymore. Why don't you tell me where the security problem in that is?

You obviously don't know bad code if you think Suhosin only breaks bad code. Go setup the default Ubuntu server install with the lamp server option (or select the apache/php/mysql packages yourself) and try to get phpMyAdmin working. If it is the same default setup they've had with suhosin phpMyAdmin will not work.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Member
    Suhosin is by no means a black box of security upgrades. The security issues it solves are documented here:

Hardened-PHP Project - PHP Security - Feature List

As far as what the broader programming community thinks, here is a pretty good indication:

Why isn't Suhosin part of the PHP core? - Stack Overflow
    Suhosin: The Invisible Hand Of PHP | BrandonSavage.net
    Suhosin? : Hosting Security and Technology : Web Hosting Talk
    PHP Freaks - Tutorial: Hardening PHP with Suhosin

Suhosin is unpopular among some PHP developers who don't know what they are doing and are interested in a "plug and play" environment where they can just churn out line after line of bad code in a playground environment. For individuals like myself who work in production environments and care about acute security considerations in our code bases, Suhosin is a valuable tool. It's also entirely configurable, so if a certain protection feature it has is causing you grief, you can disable the individual feature.

Quote Originally Posted by EXreaction
    Go setup the default Ubuntu server install with the lamp server option (or select the apache/php/mysql packages yourself) and try to get phpMyAdmin working.
    Every development and production server we have is running Ubuntu 8.04LTS or higher, with php5-suhosin installed, as well as phpMyAdmin. I use phpMyAdmin on these servers all day and have no problems.

I rest my case... this is off-topic anyway.

Blog Entries
    My mistake...it wasn't Suhosin I was thinking of. :/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeline View Post
    So I use Ubuntu from time to time, but mostly keep it on standby for when things go terribly wrong with friends/family's computers.

the best feature I like is its ability to boot from the disk and treat it as sort of a back door when windows is completely shot in order to trouble shoot and recover files.

Basically toying with the idea of using Ubuntu instead of windows...thoughts? input?

I am really new to ubuntu 9.10 and linux in general. I love it... if your function of the computer is to surf the web, edit photos, word process, spreadsheet, and or presentations. then ubuntu is for you.
    Free,
    relatively secure,
    easy to load,
    easy to load,
    easy to load,
    easy learning curve for new user for basic operation. (I am considering setting up 70+ year old windows using father on ubuntu.) I sent him the disk and am confident I can get him up and operation with a phone call. BTW he is not friendly with computers so this says alot for the ease of use.

interesting problems so far. if you make one partition and load ubuntu on a machine it is a little harder to transition to add windows after the fact. Windows installer is stupid and tells me it needs to deactivate ubuntu partician. I am not yet willing to give up and re-install ubuntu after windows.

I need the dual boot cause kids play games and many of those games are not ported to linux. but I was surprised to find out some actually are.

I was able to get RTCW to work in linux in the WINE (windows emulator) interface.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeline View Post

I am really new to ubuntu 9.10 and linux in general. I love it... if your function of the computer is to surf the web, edit photos, word process, spreadsheet, and or presentations. then ubuntu is for you.
    Free,
    relatively secure,
    easy to load,
    easy to load,
    easy to load,
    easy learning curve for new user for basic operation. (I am considering setting up 70+ year old windows using father on ubuntu.) I sent him the disk and am confident I can get him up and operation with a phone call. BTW he is not friendly with computers so this says alot for the ease of use.

interesting problems so far. if you make one partition and load ubuntu on a machine it is a little harder to transition to add windows after the fact. Windows installer is stupid and tells me it needs to deactivate ubuntu partician. I am not yet willing to give up and re-install ubuntu after windows.

I need the dual boot cause kids play games and many of those games are not ported to linux. but I was surprised to find out some actually are.

I was able to get RTCW to work in linux in the WINE (windows emulator) interface. it is an older game and I have since found out it is also ported directly to linux as well.

I started using Linux in 2003 when I graduated from college and was seeking "something different."

I found endless frustration with Red Hat 8, even with the book; and it was difficult to figure out how to connect to the internet with my dial-up winmodem.

After several years, I got to the point where I'd have to reinstall WinXP Pro at least every 3-6 months due to errors. Since I partitioned my drive to only have the OS on C: I didn't have to worry about file backups when reformatting.

The last straw for me (concerning Windows) came with the news of Vista coming along; and a blue screen of death BSOD I experienced while playing Counter-Strike: Source.

Initially, I gave up on gaming to pursue a career (it was all or nothing for me!) and embraced Ubuntu in it's earlier incarnations. Some of the frustrations I had with Ubuntu were in the user experience, including customization, ease of use, being "able to do what I could in Windows," and more.

I found LinuxMint to be the best replacement for even Ubuntu, and continue to use it to this day, on my desktop and Eee 1000HE netbook. I use LinuxMint6 because it works well- but obviously there are newer versions out there! I even got the tech support at AT&T DSL to at least check it out! I use Evolution as my Outlook replacement, and everything was going well until our company replaced it's servers. Since then, I've had a heck of a time trying to figure out how I originally configured the MS Exchange settings!

Lately, I've been using Puppy Linux with great enthusiasm. SInce I'm using a netbook, I have no optical drive to run a live cd from; I instead am using a 2gig pendrive that I bought (micro SD card + reader) to use in my older LG phone. I had to change the BIOS to boot from USB hard drive, but it was easy to load the OS via "unetbootin."

Puppy linux runs entirely from the USB drive in RAM. I'm able to seamlessly connect to my MS Exchange office email server with little configuration, and I can carry my files, settings, etc with me to any computer that can boot from USB! Best of all, I"m going to use Puppy Linux to resurrect my old Dell L400c from 1999- freshman year of college in a headless system!

My biggest reason to switch was reliability. Linux systems don't need to be rebooted, they don't suffer from malware or spyware or viruses like Windows systems, because they're UNLIKE WINDOWS in how the Administrator is granted rights to the system.

I don't have antivirus. I don't worry about it. Linux runs on minimal hardware requirements, so I don't have to upgrade my computer every few years, like Windows users do. I can run my computer (using Puppy Linux) on a 233mhz CPU with 128mb ram! Linux distributions are supported by thousands of volunteers in the "community" who donate their time, software, and experience in helping make your transition a smooth one! It's a really great way to meet friends who share your sense of curiosity, adventure, and drive.

Lastly, Linux distributions are for the most part free of charge! You can download an ISO (check the MD5 Sum), and be on your way with office programs, photoshop-like programs, and more in as little as an hour (including download time!). If you like the distribution you're using, consider making a donation to the developers- so they can keep on developing! Even $10 is worth it!

Linux users are different... we don't all code or understand the command line (what's that?), we can be your grocer or doctor, we might have extensive hardware background (like me!) with little programming experience, or we might have engineered the Google backend. What's important is that you're here on TechIMO.com asking questions, and that you take some time to explore and decide which distributions you like best! There is so much variety out there (geared towards specific hardware like the netbook, etc) that the one-size-fits-all approach of Windows just can't match!

Welcome to the community, and I hope you enjoy the transition! Sometimes you can have all the information in the world about the experience, but until you go on that vacation (or switch to linux full-time for 2 months- I dare ya!) you'll never be able to describe it first-hand.

~Branson
    I'm an Eagle Scout! (1997)

double post.... oops.....
    Last edited by de_day; May 6th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.

If you're already familiar with Ubuntu, just run it as a LiveCD and try it for a while. Set up Evolution to read your mail, Pidgin to chat with ANY other client and you probably already use Firefox. The OpenOffice products are as good or better than Office and for general use, it's wonderful. It boots fast (a little slower when reading from the cd) and shuts down FAST (I hate reading Windows is shutting down..... ) and waiting... and waiting.

I still use Vista because some family members (SWMBO) don't like change, but it dual boots on all of my systems. And, I carry a USB drive with Ubuntu on it for use wherever I go.

btw, they have some very good FPS games and lots of puzzle games to enjoy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information