+ Reply to Thread

Windows software use on linux?(i.e. photoshop, google chrome, itunes)

I am getting ready to build a new computer for my fall semester of college, well getting ready to slowly buy parts, but im doing a barebook build, and I have been researching Linux, and I'm aware that there are numerous kinds or distros and all are different in certain ways, but im an amateur photographer, so i need to use cs5 and adobe lightroom, etc, and i need other software such as a typing program (word, powerpoint, etc). my qustion is: is it possible to get such software on linux (probably the unbuntu version), because this will be my sole computer throughout college and my editing workshop. Like i said, i have NO experience at all with any type of linux, so any advice is a help, even if you just tell me to go with windows instead. thanks

Blog Entries
    This tells how to use photoshop using the wine emulator
    [Photoshop] Idiotís Guide to Photoshop CS5 installation on Ubuntu 10.04

Many applications work in linux using wine or xine, but you should see first if they have a linux version available and use that.

Is also alternatives that are free for linux, is so many free applications for linux.

OpenOffice should work for you with the documents
    OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

Here is a free image editing for linux called gimp
    GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
    DynaIndex.com - Dynamic search index of websites, links, feeds, title, description, keywords and thumbnail snapshot.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to TechIMO!

You can run numerous Windows apps under Linux via the Wine compatibility layer, but considering you will be using the system for school, I suggest going ahead with purchasing and installing Windows. An app developed for Windows typically offers no official support for running on another platform, and just because the Windows app runs via Wine, it does not mean each and every aspect of the app will function exactly the same as in Windows.

With that said, I am definitely not turning you away from Linux. I use Debian, Unbuntu, and others on multiple architectures, from generic x86 personal computers to an Itanium HPC workstation. There are thousands of native and ported applications available for Linux, with many replicating features found in comparable Windows apps.

Instead of diving straight into Linux as the primary operating system on your school system, I suggest instead starting out with using Linux on an existing personal computer. If you do not have a spare system, you could perhaps opt for trying Linux under VirtualBox or similar system virtualization utility. For example:

Installing Ubuntu inside Windows using VirtualBox
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

That does make sense to maybe test it our before I make it my dedicated OS. Thanks a lot, I didn't even know that a "test" like that is offered. And I did hear about wine before, I just didn't know if it worked with near every windows app. But yeah, I'll test run Linux, and maybe everything will work properly, app wise. If so ill go that way for sure.

Also, I've used Open Office before, and dislike it, is there a way to get word on a Linux? Perhaps through wine?

Blog Entries
    Wine will run many Windows apps, but far from all. The project has an app database here:

WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Also, there are other options for office productivity on Linux. For one example, take a look at KOffice.

KOffice.org

As for a dedicated word processor, I prefer Abiword. It is available for Windows, Linux, etc.

AbiWord
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

I will make sure to look into all of those and test of the Wine availability! Thanks.

And for virtual box, there are so many Linuxs, which one should I install?
    Last edited by faceforest; October 29th, 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Forgot Information

Blog Entries
    Just a heads up, can burn ubuntu and run it live as a live-cd or dvd.

No install is needed as will run the os directly from the cd.
    DynaIndex.com - Dynamic search index of websites, links, feeds, title, description, keywords and thumbnail snapshot.

That would be way better, since virtualbox is not working. Can you give me a link for that to download/burn?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Most Linux Distro's have a Live CD version.

Ubuntu Is Good.

Also I've heard Linux Mint is good too. Main Page - Linux Mint

If your into any Audio and Video editing, you could try Ubuntu Studio: Ubuntu Studio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I know there was a derivative of Ubuntu Geared towards 2D/3D rendering, Photo editing a while back, but can't remember the name of it.

Wait, I think that was Ubuntu Studio as well.

Anyways, here' s a list of Various Linux Distro's to look for:

List of Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then just look for Live CD or Live Disc Versions of that Distribution of it.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    You may have been thinking of blender for that 3d rendering app.

www.blender.org

No, it was a whole bundle of Ubuntu with some 3D apps, 2D Apps, and some others stuff, looking up some more, looks like Ubuntu Studio was the one, as its got some 2D & 3D editing/rendering apps in it like Blender.

Home | Ubuntu Studio
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

So if i download the live cd, its not going to be my OS? Im confused on this, since I currently have windows 7, what will happen if I download ubuntu?

It runs off the Disc.

Think of the Disc as a Hard drive, and it loads frequently used data in to System RAM.

You shut your PC off, restart it, make sure the Optical Drive is the First Boot device (just like when installing windows from disc), pop the Live Linux CD/DVD into the drive, reboot the PC and give it some time.

It will read the disc, load the necessary data and drivers and what not into System RAM, and then load up, and you can try it out/use it, what ever.

Some Live CD's will give you an option to install the OS, when you start up, just skip that if it does.

it doesn't install anything to the Hard drive or affect Windows operations, unless you Install to hard drive.

Basically it allows you to Evaluate the OS with out installing... or Even allows you to use an OS with a PC with out any sort of Hard drive. Some will even allow you to save all your personal data and OS Settings to a USB Flash Drive for use next time.

Okay, thats perfect. Yeah, I found edubuntu and I think I'm going to download the bit torrent from there, burn it to a cd and try it then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information