+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ya...brutal.

Sitting here...2am...credit card on the desk ready to go lol. Don't know if you're following the Twitter feed but damn are some people angry at RasPi. I mean...THEIR site is the one that's working...RC and Farnell either don't work or aren't selling. Stupid people...this is a FOUNDATION.

Grinds my gears.
    -Space

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    according to Raspberry Pi on Twitter they stated:
    If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page.
    So would be nice to know WTF (Where The F) the right page was.

And now their saying both Farnell and RS sites may be crippled from the traffic, despite warning both suppliers well in advance that the demand and popularity may be this high.

Also some statements have said that Farnell is indeed out of stock.

Would be nice to see them make some deals with other Distributors in the US, such as Digi-Key, Electronic Components Distributor | DigiKey Corp. | US Home Page , out of MN here.

They're one of the distributors for the BeagleBoards, and some other products as well.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Ya...I think they had talks and agreements to make it available...but RC probably got scared by the traffic and closed the door.

Can't blame RasPi...I am mad at those who abused this. But oh well, I am sure there will be a lot more to come.

edit/ bedtime...
    -Space

reading more on Twitter someone asked

Still love the idea of RPi, but curious if either was prepared to sell to US? Only saw pre-order & "register interest" pages
    RPi responded with

They're meant to be. They may have chosen to start US sales later in the face of all the EU interest.
    This was in regards to the RS Site.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Agreed, I was hoping to get one right away.

but then again, its only $35 (not including shipping) so its not like when some are available, I'll have to save up for 2 months or more before I'm able to buy it LOL.

thats the nice thing about it.

Oh well, just have to order my new phone this week or next, and get that instead to hold me over for a small PC device/tech toy to play with until then.

Someone posted on Twitter about RS

Spoken to RS sales team. Not on sale until end of week.
    RPi's reply

God - that's better than we've managed! Thanks for letting us know.
    Seems there's another supplier as well, Element 14

BBC News - The Raspberry Pi £22 computer goes on general sale

But I can't seem to get access to a page where you could buy stuff, only a community page with articles, blogs, forums, etc.

nevermind, I see its not a supplier but an engineering community for these things.

Blog Entries
    Well that was a dissapointitng launch...

Oh well. Not like they are too pricey, I'll wait on the reviews and skip the first "test" batch. Maaybe I'll wait on a revision at this point, hopefully they bump the ram up on model B.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k/ 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

not likely anytime soon, I was reading something on their forums or a Blog posting, it has to do with the manufacturing size of the RAM and cost.

If they were to increase the RAM the manufacturing of the chips or whatever would increase in size, or something in that regards, and smaller sized RAM with that capacity would increase the price of the thing.

Or something to that regard, can't remember the specifics as it was over a month ago I read that.

Would be nice if it had some sort of Windows like ReadyBoost feature in the versions of Linux it runs, and use a high speed USB 2.0 drive for some extra caching space or something like that anyways.

its too bad it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port or at least one SATA or eSATA port on it, enable use of an SSD, or something.

They didn't say how much shipping would be, and I do wanna get one.
    Last edited by Carld; February 29th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    If they were to increase the RAM the manufacturing of the chips or whatever would increase in size, or something in that regards, and smaller sized RAM with that capacity would increase the price of the thing.
    Ya me too - something like 40-60% more to double up on RAM

Saying that, Debian on 256MB is completely usable.

too bad it doesn't have a USB 3.0 port or at least one SATA or eSATA port on it, enable use of an SSD, or something.
    Ya - Eben(the head honcho) keeps answering to questions like that saying simply it can't be done right now and still sell for $25.

Did ANYONE here get a pre-order in even? I know people did in fact buy them up - just before I could even load the page
    -Space

This is going to snow ball.

I probably read about this, when you guys did, but the significance escaped me.

I was thinking computer for the rest of the world, that doesn't have a computer, yet.
    Like it was described.

Now that the light has come on, I want one.

I'll bet the Linux community, improves, and expands the software, rapidly.
    Just because, it is going to be popular.

It sounds like they never want to raise the price, and improve, so when the price of an interface becomes affordable, they will ad it.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

basically. though to be honest, I would be willing to buy a more feature rich board even for $50 if it was possible, even if the boards size was increased 50% or even double that size. Whether the CPU was faster, more RAM, and at least 1 SATA or USB 3.0 spec port. aside from the controller chips, non of that should really increase the over all size by much.

its still in the realm of Nano and Pico ITX boards.

When I get one, debating whether to go heatsink less, or maybe add a small copper heatsink for some "bling" factor LOL.

Hell I even thought about looking into making my own fake Heatpipe tower Heatsink (Just an aluminum piece with a couple copper rods and some heatsink fins, secured to CPU via some thermal pads or thermal epoxy), along with a mock up for modern day gaming cases, just in a very small form factor, to mock the gaming PC's out there today, with this thing inside it LOL.

Imagine a PC case about the size of a 16 or 20 oz Pop bottle with this board in it, made to look like a bad *ss gaming case... side window and LED lighting and all..

Add in a small side panel or top mounted fan (something really small).

And then add one or two of these (already have an 8GB one, though its really slow read/write speeds for USB 2.0)

Newegg.com - TCELL XS Hard Disk Look USB2.0 Flash Drive- 8GB Silver

(sorry for the pic sizes, I never edited them before uploading)

If I remember right that drive was only good for 2 or 3MB/s read and write, meanwhile the Patriot 8GB model pictured in first pic is capable of 10 times that, sustained read/write speeds (20-25MB/s)

seems they also sell a 16GB model.

Newegg.com - TCELL XS Hard Disk Look USB2.0 Flash Drive- 16GB Silver

One user for the review of that 8GB I have claims 20-30MB/s... for some reason I sure as hell wasn't getting that. And this was on the same port I tested my Patriot drive on, getting 10 times faster speed.

Now if it was possible to run RAID 0 on USB interface, using a small Hub, that would pretty cool, a couple/few of these in a RAID 0 setup LOL.

hmmm, going through the revived Xoxide site, and they actually have a LOT of new products, modding items, and good brand names.

One thing amongst quite a few that stuck out at me.

This: 2.5 SATA to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable at Xoxide!

grab one of those lowly, questionable quality cheap price Kingston SSD's...

and one of these, and use the SSD for the Pi...

assuming the system can boot off the USB rather than just the SD card slot alone.

even if it couldn't, would be nice to have that kind of storage, speed, and power consumption on this thing.

just would need that AC powered USB hub to power the thing.

Ya, I have a "toaster" type Sata-to-USB dealies like:

They start at about 20 bucks here

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    assuming the system can boot off the USB rather than just the SD card slot alone..
    I read on the FAQ and forums that this is a no-go. Maybe later...but the RasPi itself looks only to the SD-reader for boot. Though you can just throw the /boot directory by itself on a small SD (100mb is plenty for /boot itself) and have it mount your SSD. For now, you need MBR and such on the SD card.
    -Space

yep, thats what I read as well.

LOL, I also have a similar Thermaltake Drive reader like yours, except mine has the fold down "dust cover" and extra USB ports.

But I could of sworn I had seen some sort of SD Card slot device with a ribbon attached to an adapter that let you plug in other storage devices into a SD slot, somewhere not long ago.

I know they make a device like that for the Sony PSP, some aftermarket gizmo.

Looks like I ordered one of the $35 ones and it's not shipping until April 3rd.

Same here. Can't wait for it to come but if it's going to take a month, I'll just try to forget about it for now and be excited when it comes. I suppose this should give me ample amount of time to figure out a case for it.
    Cute

Where are you guys ordering from? Everywhere I look, suppliers that I find selling it are sold out or taking Interest Inquiries only.

Raspberry Pi at Newark

I signed up when they were out of stock and just got the email today to place an order.
    Cute

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information