+ Reply to Thread

no sound in linux

I've installed linux, but I can't seem to get the sound configured. The system tell me that the volume control is unable to run correctly, and that it is unable to open the audio device '/dev/mixer' and to check that I have sound support in my kernel. How do I go about doing that?

Right, what distro are you using? Some distros don't give permissions to normal users for /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.
    as root, try:
    chmod a+rw /dev/dsp
    chmod a+rw /dev/mixer
    Then try and run the program that is playing the sound (such as xmms).
    Also could you please post your distro version and what soundcard you are using so we can help more. We know support for some soundcards to be broken and some distros have odd (or different) ways of handling the device nodes and so we need that info as well.
    For example Mandrake and Gentoo use devfs, which means any permissions changes will be reset after a reboot, and other make use of an 'audio' group that you must add your user to in order to use the sound.
    [edit] I see you're using mandrake 9.1 from your other posts. run this command for me as I don't have mandrake to hand. Post the results here, don't worry, it won't break anything.
    ls -l /dev/dsp
    ls -l /dev/mixer
    This is just so I know how it works and can tell you what to do.
    [edit again]
    Glad to see you got Linux installed, we'll make sure you get it working, and welcome to the dark side!
    Last edited by nukes; April 12th, 2003 at 05:22 PM.
    _____
    NuKeS

My 9.1 installed the wrong driver. I went into my Mandrake Control Center and opened up my hardware and just played with the sound drivers until I got one to work.

Ultimate Member
    Is it onboard sound? My Drake 9.1 install did the same thingwhere it installed the wrong driver.

Actually, yeah it is onboard sound.
    "there are only 10 kinds of people in this world that know binary......."

Where exactly do I change the driver?
    "there are only 10 kinds of people in this world that know binary......."

^Bumped!^
    I have the same problem too.
    RH 8.0, onboard sound. Shuttle mb.

~Branson
    I'm an Eagle Scout! (1997)

cunokyle figured this out for the motherboards we are using....as per his PM to me:

Mandrake sound

Just a little heads up, my installation the sound configuration is wrong, I had to run sounddrake I think it was, you can do it from harddrake2, select the sound card and run configuration tool or something, the right driver is via82cxxx_audio
    You might have to change it to that. I had to. It selects by default soe snd-via82xx driver which didn't work in mine.
    After I ran the configure tool, I had to let it sit for awhile, it took quite some time for it to do it. I just left the Harddrake2 screen pen while I did other stuff.
    -----------

Hope that helps

worked until reboot

The fix that Nuke posted worked with the gnome volume appearing and the sound working and then i rebooted and it all goes away reapplied the fix and now the sound works again but the no mixer error reappered with no volume control HELP please

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information