+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

NC6000 not booting

I have just spent some time pulling apart a newly acquired and faulty NC6000. I read all the forums and the most likely culprit is the max1987 chip. I bought a very fine point battery soldering iron ($20 from dick smith), it had a much finer point than my weller temp controlled station. Using a high power magnifier and a steady hand, I carefully re-soldered each leg of the max1987 chip, reassembled and all was okay for about a day, then the same problem. After pulling it apart again I was looking for why this chip is breaking connections and found that the lcd hinge closest to the heat sink was very stiff. It was so stiff it was causing the case to distort when opening and closing the lid. With the screen removed I carefully placed a little penetrating oil on the hinge and moved it through its full travel to loosen it. It is still firm but not as stiff as it was. I have again resoldered the max1987 chip and reassembled with everything okay again. Hopefully this time it will last.

NC6000 not booting

Okay it failed again after a few boots and opening/closing the lid. Someone said that soldering with an iron will not work, it has to be reflowed with hot air due to paste under the chip.

So the 2 fixes that make sense, reflow with hot air and add a piece of rubber to give support to the max chip when reassembled, plus loosen the hinge to stop excessive flexing on opening & closing the lid.

Okay, did all of the above and it is working again, so far so good. I used a hot air gun on a low setting to reflow the solder. I will provide an update in a few days.

nc 6000 boot problems

My nc6000 will some times lockup and require a hard shutdown. Too, it may not boot after sevarl tries. A post suggested that I hold down or apply pressure to the right upper portion of the laptop. This method worked to force a boot. It works all most all of the time. the machine may still seize at will. It has been suggested that the revision of motherboard that I have may be the problem. Hp denies knowledge of any problem and offer no suggestions. I found this hard to believe that they have no knowledge but rather they are playing the percentages. The problem may be a known hardware problem (with a cost factored in) that they will not address unless they are forced to.

If there is an interest, I would be willing to champion a class action to force their hand and make them addresss the problem, one way or another. If there are a number of you who have the same problem, contact me with the specifics of your problem and the steps taken, so that I can develop a list of affected users, and I will file an action in New York State court.

Professor Gregory A. Vaughn Sr.,
    Department of Computer Science
    Medgar Evers College, C.U.N.Y.
    gvaughn@mec.cuny.edu
    http://webpage.pace.edu/gv60907w
    (718) 636-1045

A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.
    Matthew 13:57

My nc6000 will some times lockup and require a hard shutdown. Too, it may not boot after sevarl tries. A post suggested that I hold down or apply pressure to the right upper portion of the laptop. This method worked to force a boot. It works all most all of the time. the machine may still seize at will. It has been suggested that the revision of motherboard that I have may be the problem. Hp denies knowledge of any problem and offer no suggestions. I found this hard to believe that they have no knowledge but rather they are playing the percentages. The problem may be a known hardware problem (with a cost factored in) that they will not address unless they are forced to.
    If there is an interest, I would be willing to champion a class action to force their hand and make them addresss the problem, one way or another. If there are a number of you who have the same problem, contact me with the specifics of your problem and the steps taken, so that I can develop a list of affected users, and I will file an action in New York State court.

Professor Gregory A. Vaughn Sr.,
    Department of Computer Science
    Medgar Evers College, C.U.N.Y.
    gvaughn@mec.cuny.edu
    http://webpage.pace.edu/gv60907w
    (718) 636-1045

A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.
    Last edited by gvaughn@mec.cuny; February 20th, 2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Wrong return email address

Hello, everyone!
    Just like everybody else I hit this forum due to my HP NC6000 failure. I'll try to be as specific as I can.
    As I was using my notebook one evening, the display went into black, and I couldn't control the situation from the keyboard or anything. I was using also a stand-alone monitor at that moment.
    I tried to Ctrl-Alt-Del but nothing happened. I turned it off from the ON/OFF button and tried to turn it back on.
    Pressing the ON/OFF I got BLUE and ORANGE LEDs lighten and FAN at high speed. Nothing on the screen and the notebook turned itself off in about 6 seconds.
    After reading this topic on my cell phone's screen I have tried many of the solutions described here. Booted with and without
    - battery
    - cd-rom
    - ram
    - hdd
    - keyboard
    - touchpad
    - modem
    - fan
    And nothing helped.
    Still one of the advices here lead me to success.
    Better screwing the top left screw of the fan case.
    It seems indeed that there is a contact problem leading to a missing ground connection. That's why maybe many of you succeeded by pressing the keyboard in a specific area. Maybe you were just making that contact work.

Back to the solution now. You have to get the reparations manual in order to properly make your way inside.
    You have to remove the keyboard, ON/OFF and WiFi buttons plate and the metal sheet underneath.
    Now you can see in the top left the FAN. In its top left there is a screw that makes contact with Motherboard. That screw needs to be very strongly screwed.

I have to mention that lately I have traveled a lot with my laptop and also for about a month my FAN didn't work due to some dust accumulation.
    All I can hope now is that this solution to last and help as many of you as possible.

Smile NC6000 not booting

Now, almost 2 months after my last repair effort and post, the NC6000 is still performing reliably

Expanding on what Alexiordan had mentioned earlier, remove the years of oxidation on both contacts of the fan chasis and motherboard by scrapping them with a pointed tool. Dont have to scrape too hard, light scratches on the surfaces will just do. Fold a small piece of Aluminium foil in between the contacts and screw them together as per normal. This would ensure that you will not overtighten, enhance better contact and the Aluminium foil serve as a additional padded conductor. Hav Fun!!

Another successful fan-fix !!

I have just brought my NC6000 back from the dead by tightening the fan-screw.

I'd had never opened a laptop before, so the really *hard* part was getting to understand how the zif sockets operate - I yanked the ribbons out without unclipping them and only realised that the clips needed to be tugged upwards for release.

replacing LED board ribbon cable

Quote Originally Posted by gummipolarbear View Post
    You don't need to change the motherboard, but the . The harddrive will have to be changed if it's locked. You get to the motherboard by removing the keyboard. The part to change is probrably the curcuitboard attached to the motherboard, but first try resetting the bios by unplugging the cmos battery(you'll see it once the keyboard's removed)
    can you advice me how to go about replacing the LED boad ribbon cable on my compaq nc6000. I already have the new cable.
    Thank you

Cool replacing LED board ribbon cable

Quote Originally Posted by gummipolarbear View Post
    You don't need to change the motherboard, but the . The harddrive will have to be changed if it's locked. You get to the motherboard by removing the keyboard. The part to change is probrably the curcuitboard attached to the motherboard, but first try resetting the bios by unplugging the cmos battery(you'll see it once the keyboard's removed)
    can you advice me how to go about replacing the LED boad ribbon cable on my compaq nc6000. I already have the new cable.
    Thank you

Cruizing
    I have just got an NC6000 and have a few problems

1 being the touchpad refuses to work, I have tried installing all the drivers from the HP/Compaq site

and the 2nd thing which is more important to me is I have just got a D-Link PCMCIA wireless DWL-G630 card for the laptop, it installs ok but if set on DHCP it fails to get an IP address and if I give it an IP address it constantly drops the connection.
    I have tried different versions of drivers, I have tried reinstalling XP but no luck
    The wireless card will work fine in other laptops
    Can anyone recommend a PCMCIA wireless card that will work in this laptop

NC600 wireless

In the past, I have used a Netgear WG511 card to connect to a DG834 with no problems.

More recently, I'm happy with the HP WLAN drivers for my (non-centrino) NC6000.

you should be booting to the HDD...at that point in the setup...
    Try this: boot the the XP CD, delete and recreate the boot partition, do a full format instead of a quick, and have it go through the setup again, when it reboots make sure you go to the HDD. make sure you clean the Xp CD real good to eliminate any issues there. If this doesn't work, get the manufacturer HDD diagnostics and test the HDD fully to be sure it is not defective. When it reboots you could try to pull the XP CD out of the drive just long enough to make sure it does boot to the HDD and then put it back in...hmmm try that and let me know how that goes.

I FINALLY have a dix for the boot up problem fot the NC6000 notebook.

After carefully reading all the posts in this thread, i came to the conclusion that indeed the fault is with the laptops power converter. This wil ONLY affect NC6000s that have a damaged CPU (the ceramic pill of the CPU is damaged). The CPU's still work, but:

Power from the PTU (power translation unit) reaches the top of the ceramic/silicone pill of the CPU by means of the copper CPU heatsink. Users have reported that by pressing down on the CPU fan (right top side of the keyboard) the unit will start up. Initially I attempted to somehow lift the CPU fan so it will not touch the mainboard. It made things worse. Than, i noticed that a part of the heatsink touches DIRECTLY one of the coils and the top of the power connector.

What you need to do is buy some electric insolation tape and wrap it around the copper pipe of the heatsink (WARNING!!! ONLY INSOLATE THE PIPE, NOT THE BASE THAT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE CPU!!!). Completly wrap the heatpipe with tale, and put some around the end of the heatsink - in such way that the fins of the radiator are not covered, and air still flows trought it. Do not put tape in front or behind the fins, only on top of it, otherwise the CPU will overheat. Also insolate the margins of the metal cpu fan holder, including the borders that come in contact with the copper heatsink, but BE CAREFULL TO ONLY INSOLATE THE MARGINS, NOT THE AIR HOLE AT THE END OF THE FAN, SO AIR WILL STILL BE ABLE TO PASS TROUGHT.

This way, the CPU will be isloated from the PTU, and you will be able to boot up your device normally and also move it around.

Unfortunaly i have no fix for the touchpad yet. I will investigate an if i come to a solution i will let you know.

DO NOT BUY A NEW MAINBOARD, IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I have repaird 5 devices by know, an "recovered" two "broken" mainboards. Always, the problem is the CPU coming in contact with the PTU trought the heatpipe.

Thell me if this helps. It worked for me.

RTC BATTERY

HI, JUST G0 THROUGH YOUR LAPTOP MAINTAINENCE GUIDE, IT'S SO EASY TO FIND.
    ujjainya@mail.ru

Another successful fan fix!

Quote Originally Posted by discardage View Post
    I have just brought my NC6000 back from the dead by tightening the fan-screw.

I'd had never opened a laptop before, so the really *hard* part was getting to understand how the zif sockets operate - I yanked the ribbons out without unclipping them and only realised that the clips needed to be tugged upwards for release.
    Like you, I found this fix to be very helpful. I fixed my "new" second hand laptop back in March. It worked until last month when I had to tighten the screw again.
    However, it is now July, and it is not working again. I have tightened it again, but this time it didn't bring it back to life. I unscrewed the top left screw and scraped the copper contact circle as clean as I could with my little screwdriver and even added some aluminum foil as suggested above. Still nothing.

Any other ideas? My fan screw is starting to strip from me tightening it so much. If there are other ideas, please send them!

Thumbs up Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by razzb3d View Post
    I FINALLY have a dix for the boot up problem fot the NC6000 notebook.

After carefully reading all the posts in this thread, i came to the conclusion that indeed the fault is with the laptops power converter. This wil ONLY affect NC6000s that have a damaged CPU (the ceramic pill of the CPU is damaged). The CPU's still work, but:

Power from the PTU (power translation unit) reaches the top of the ceramic/silicone pill of the CPU by means of the copper CPU heatsink. Users have reported that by pressing down on the CPU fan (right top side of the keyboard) the unit will start up. Initially I attempted to somehow lift the CPU fan so it will not touch the mainboard. It made things worse. Than, i noticed that a part of the heatsink touches DIRECTLY one of the coils and the top of the power connector.

What you need to do is buy some electric insolation tape and wrap it around the copper pipe of the heatsink (WARNING!!! ONLY INSOLATE THE PIPE, NOT THE BASE THAT COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE CPU!!!). Completly wrap the heatpipe with tale, and put some around the end of the heatsink - in such way that the fins of the radiator are not covered, and air still flows trought it. Do not put tape in front or behind the fins, only on top of it, otherwise the CPU will overheat. Also insolate the margins of the metal cpu fan holder, including the borders that come in contact with the copper heatsink, but BE CAREFULL TO ONLY INSOLATE THE MARGINS, NOT THE AIR HOLE AT THE END OF THE FAN, SO AIR WILL STILL BE ABLE TO PASS TROUGHT.

This way, the CPU will be isloated from the PTU, and you will be able to boot up your device normally and also move it around.

Unfortunaly i have no fix for the touchpad yet. I will investigate an if i come to a solution i will let you know.

DO NOT BUY A NEW MAINBOARD, IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I have repaird 5 devices by know, an "recovered" two "broken" mainboards. Always, the problem is the CPU coming in contact with the PTU trought the heatpipe.

Thell me if this helps. It worked for me.
    razzb3d can you post some pics of this fix?

RamWreck

Quote Originally Posted by ktvanhorne View Post
    Like you, I found this fix to be very helpful....
    However, it is now July, and it is not working again....
    Any other ideas?...
    Sorry pal, my glee was a bit premature!

The nc6000 will boot up, and will be usable for a few mins, and then die.

I'm not using it at the moment, but I might try the insulating tape technique posted by razzb3d. I'll have a bucket of sand ready, in case it goes up in a ball of flame...

Power supply problems on nc6000. Solved

Power supply problems like:

orange led at power on,
    turn on automatic,
    turn off automatic,
    shutdown on connect a usb device,
    fast cpu fan with no 3 leads blinks,
    make some presion on cpu area its turn on,
    interrupted turn on and turn off cycle when turn it on,

Strip right down to the mother board. Then reheat / re-solder 48 connections on IC MAX1987.
    They are very fine, so use a very fine point solder iron.
    IC MAX1987 is located on underside of the CPU.

In my laptop this work perfect.

OpenSys
    Last edited by opensys; July 24th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.

laptop battery

Could one of you nice techie guys help me. My battery in my Compaq NC6000 is not keeping the charge and I have just bought a replacement.

I thought it would just pull out and be replaced, but I dont seem to be able to do this. Can you tell me how to do it - nicely please.

Thanks.

Linda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information