+ Reply to Thread

Laptop Battery Charges Partially...

I'm on my third battery in three years. The first lasted a very long time, but started getting to the point where it would only charge partially. First up to about 82% or so, then only to 60 something, then 50, etc. So I got a new battery...that one lasted about a year charging correctly then started doing the same thing. Then just about a month ago I got the third battery. Now that one will only charge to 81%.

I'm under warranty till the 19th. Is this a hardware issue, software, or what? I just don't want to take it in under the warranty for hardware repairs and then get charged if it's not hardware related...

Thanks in advance!

What laptop do you have? More importantly, what kind of battery is it? Is it a vendor issued battery or from a third party? I have seen some cheaper laptops that still come with Ni metal hydride batteries. If this is the case the battery won't last very long. However it does sound like it might be a hardware issue to me.
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue. -- Scott Adams

It's a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV31 I bought from Best Buy (along with the extended warranty...one of the best things I've ever bought). The batteries were batteries I got from them under warranty (possibly refurbished, in other words). Specifically, it's an ATG (Advanced Tek Gear) Lithium-Ion.

The battery "fuel gauge" may need to be reset. Run the laptop on battery power till it shuts itself off. Then plug it in to charge until it stops charging. This should re-calibrate the "fuel gauge" so it will read the correct capacit.

Battery life can vary dramatically. If you really work it hard by running it down once or twice day then you can expect it to only last a year or two.

Is this an aftermarket battery? Aftermarket battery quality can be highly variable. I would request a Sony OEM battery next time.

ATG

Quote Originally Posted by oyarsa View Post
    It's a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV31 I bought from Best Buy (along with the extended warranty...one of the best things I've ever bought). The batteries were batteries I got from them under warranty (possibly refurbished, in other words). Specifically, it's an ATG (Advanced Tek Gear) Lithium-Ion.
    I've had terrible luck with ATG batteries. The last one I had lasted about 6 months before it became crap. The meter would go to from 20% charge to 113% charge in about 5 minutes, and then die in about 5 minutes. It would also result in fatal errors when going into my power settings. I got mine under warranty from Best Buy. Either it's refurbished or junk. Best Buy's warranty only gave me one battery, and when I went to them to say it only lasted 6 months, the response was a shrug of the shoulders and a "that's the way it goes" response. The OEM will still hold a charge for 45 minutes (4 years old now). If I need a replacement, I'll either go with OEM again or through a company with a good track record.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarsa View Post
    I'm on my third battery in three years. The first lasted a very long time, but started getting to the point where it would only charge partially. First up to about 82% or so, then only to 60 something, then 50, etc. So I got a new battery...that one lasted about a year charging correctly then started doing the same thing. Then just about a month ago I got the third battery. Now that one will only charge to 81%.

I'm under warranty till the 19th. Is this a hardware issue, software, or what? I just don't want to take it in under the warranty for hardware repairs and then get charged if it's not hardware related...

Thanks in advance!
    ok so basically, when u get a new battery u are supposed to charge it all the way before using it, but, also only half charging it or charging it to a certain point can confuse the battery and laptop in too think that 80% is 100%, iv been told this many times by computer stores and battery stores. maybe thats ur problem?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information