+ Reply to Thread

DELL Inspiron 1520 CD/DVD Drive Issue

My sister just came home from school the other day complaining her computer wasnt working.

When I looked at it the cd/dvd drive does not show up under my computer anymore.

After looking through the device manager I get a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" for the drive.

I havent been able to find any drivers for the drive, I've disabled and Re-enabled the drive, and I've completely uninstalled the drive but when I restarted it just gave me the same Code(10) error.

Can anyone help?

The drive is labeled as "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device" under the device manager.

I'm getting the same error on my 1520 too, but the drive is shown as a PIONEER DVD+-RW DR-K17Y ATA Device. It will play DVDs and CDs in the quick start mode, but not in the regular PC mode. I think the last time it worked was before downloading the latest Quicktime and iTunes update. I couldn't find anything useful on the Dell and Pioneer web sites.

Remove the upper and lower filters as described in this MS article for XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

If you have Vista, the instructions are here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

Use the Guided Help and you can't mess things up.

I tried this. I got as far as step 2, where selecting the proper class showed two folders, "0000" and "Poperties", and nothing in the right panel. Selecting the "0000" folder displays a list of values, but not UpperFilters or LowerFilters. Selecting the "Properties" folder gave me an "Access is denied" message. I'm signed on as myself, and I'm the administrator for my PC.
    I'm running Vista, and I've installed all the latest updates.
    Still stuck.
    Richard

Richard:

Here's an alternative method:
    http://www.castlecops.com/p1037408-D...ows_vista.html

Success! Worked like a charm. Thank you!

Thumbs up SAME ISSUE, WORKS NOW!

Hey, you guys just saved ne $300, which is what Dell was going to charge me to have someone come out and fix this same issue. It took me all of 5 minutes! THANKS!!!!

help!

I had to reinstall windows vista a couple of months ago and now I realize that it will not play DVDs. It tells me "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings." What should I do? I played with the settings and nothing happened. I also did what you told someone else to do earlier.

Same issue

going through the steps on the microsoft site. then get to a point where i dont have the same registry details so i cant find the file to edit. as that castle cops website is down i was wondering if you guys had any other way i could fix this issue. help would be amazinly appreciated.

Unhappy Dell inspiron 1520 - No Upper/Lower Filters to remove, not reading CD/DVD Drive

I went to the first guided help, but there are no upper/lower filters to remove - and the CastleCops link cited no longer exists. Can someone point me to the correct fix? PLEASE help; I'm a teacher and this is my personal laptop that I use for school, and my kids are going nuts because we can't do our usual lessons, which use that drive frequently).

same problem!

My DVD/CD player doesn't work. I tried removing the upper and lower filters and it worked before, but that does not work any longer. Please help me find a solution to this problem!

Hi, Smartypants:

It is possible your drive has itself failed, but you need to test it by running the Dell diagnostics. Hit F12 during boot to access the utility partition and go to the diagnostics from there. Run the READ test on your drive.

Please let me know the results of the test.

Cd/DVD not seen in Windows XP

I went through all of these steps and finally went into the F2 as it was booting and noticed that the Memory card reader and CD drive had been turned off - turned it back on and all is working again. (somehow they had been changed to off from the default of ON/Enabled)

Thanku so much it also worked for me!!!!God bless u all!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by osprey4 View Post
    Remove the upper and lower filters as described in this MS article for XP:
    Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

If you have Vista, the instructions are here:
    The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

Use the Guided Help and you can't mess things up.

Thanku s much!!!!! it worked 4 as wellll!!!!! thanku.....God bless all of u!!!!!

Still can't fix CD drive

Help! I'm in the same boat as AutumnGlory:
    I went to the first guided help, but there are no upper/lower filters to remove - and the CastleCops link cited no longer exists. Can someone point me to the correct fix?

(My registry editor doesn't offer a right pane with upper and lower filters to remove.)

Please help me! i was so excited that i was on the path to find the resolution and now i'm back at a dead end. I have a Dell Vostro 1500.
    THANK YOU!

Same issue here too. Works great now

WOW!!! Amazing. This worked great for me. Took alll of 5 minutes! I was pulling my hair out for days trying to get this drive to work. Went to registry and removed upper and lower filters like instructions said.
    Last edited by Ahandy1; April 2nd, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add info and spelling

Smile SUCCESS

Thank you so much for all the help! IT WORKED! Can't thank you enough!!!!

The thread that keeps on giving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information