+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Compaq C300 won't boot

My daughter's Compaq Presario C300 (C303NR) decided it no longer wants to boot up. Most of the time the fan will come on for a few seconds then it will shut off. Sometimes it will start to boot and get partway through the Windows XP startup, then go blank and shut off.

With the power cord plugged in, the battery charge light (lightning bolt) is on. However, after a partial boot, the charge light goes into a flickering mode until I unplug it, wait a while, then plug it back in.

Sometimes after a failed boot attempt it will give me an error - "0251: System CMOS checksum bad".

When I go into the BIOS settings, the date and time have been reset. The computer won't stay on long enough to let me change any settings.

I've tried reseating the RAM, pulling out the battery, and reseating the hard drive but these haven't helped. I haven't opened up the case beyond the access covers for the RAM and hard drive.

Any ideas?

The most common issue with lappy's is the AC jack attached to the mobo gets broken. Try jiggling the cord to see if you get different results.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try...

I've opened the case, and the AC jack is attached to the mobo with wires and a connector. The AC connector doesn't seem to be it.

I did clean a whole boatload of dust out from next to the heatsink, but that didn't seem to help either. It still does the same thing.

Any more ideas?

The "0251: System CMOS checksum bad" appears to be a bad CMOS battery error...

Same Problem here

has anyone got a solution to this problem?

I haven't found a solution yet. I've seen a few other websites where people have had similar problems but I haven't seen a solution yet...

same problem

I am having the exact same problem with my compaq c300 as well. It will power on for a few seconds then it turns off and the power light turns to a flashing light. After I unplug the outlet for a few minutes it then goes to a stable light and powers on for a few seconds then shuts off again. I have received a few error messages, such as faulty CMOS and it has started beeping 2x before shutting off. I've managed to open it in safe mode a few times but haven't been able to make any changes before the computer decides to turn off. I've changed the electrical plug, we bought a few extras and it didn't make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem on c300 notebook. It is the dc jack that is the problem. If you wiggle it a bit you will get it to work for a while but you have to replace the jack to fix this.

I vote you guys pull your funds together - and one of ya call HP Support

Has anyone tried a different AC adaptor and or new battery?

Quote Originally Posted by azblk View Post
    I have the exact same problem on c300 notebook. It is the dc jack that is the problem. If you wiggle it a bit you will get it to work for a while but you have to replace the jack to fix this.
    This doesn't work on mine. I used a multimeter to thoroughly check AC adapter and the DC jack, and I even verified the correct input voltage directly on the motherboard. All is as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Has anyone tried a different AC adaptor and or new battery?
    I've tried a different AC adapter. I have an HP laptop with the identical power supply. I don't have a spare battery around to try.

I replaced the AC jack from a spare C300 and it still does the same thing. I am sendinf mine to a guy in California tomorrow who claims he can fix it. I'll let you know what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by bellanca guy View Post
    I replaced the AC jack from a spare C300 and it still does the same thing. I am sendinf mine to a guy in California tomorrow who claims he can fix it. I'll let you know what happens!
    Please do. My daughter needs her laptop back!

I sent mine to a guy in California. He charged me $145.00 and replaced a componant on the motherboard. it works great. Email me direct and I will send you his contact info

dewey.elsik@verizon.net

Did he mention which component?

Smile

All I was told is that a power regulator was not putting out the 5 volts it was suppost to. I have had it running for 4 days now and it is running great.

Thanks again for posting back.

There was another thread about Dell laptops with similar symptoms that had a bad resistor near the power connector on the board. I'm going to see if I can find a bad resistor on this one. If not, I may have to spend $145 to fix a laptop I got for $199 on a Black Friday special...

Arrow yep

i have this same problem i have tried diferent ac adapter with no luck i believe the moboard is just fried o well

This thread gives me hope: Possible solutions for burnt-out circuitry on Dell Latitude D505 mobo?

I posted in that thread what I've tried. I need to disassemble it more to get to the other side of the board . Then I'll check to see if I can find a bad capacitor like they were finding. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow...

Bah. I have the whole thing disassembled, and no such luck. I may have to give in and get some professional help. I may have someone fix the computer too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information