+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Considering a Netbook

I am soon going to make the decision to sell my HP TX2500 laptop, and invest into something more suited for my purposes.

I'm considering these netbooks because all I want to do with it really is emailing, word processing (but require most office applications), web browsing, music.

I've lost track since the Asus Eee came out, and I know that HP also have one as well that looks quite convincing. So, I need advise on what brand to get, and more importantly, what operating system. Some HP's come with MS OS's but what about the Linux OS on these machines - can they accommodate my requirements as I've mentioned?

Blog Entries

That's the linux OS it has. It comes with most office apps you'll need.

EDIT:
    Should also mention that you can unlock the Eee's from "easy mode" into full desktop mode, where it gives you a full blown KDE desktop. It's simple to do, there are tons of guides that explain it.
    Last edited by KarmaKiller; April 4th, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    Ok, so I just got my wife one of these. It's an asus (I don't think in my right mind that I could recommend anything else) a 1000he I think (either way, the newest 10" version, 160gb hdd and xp). The thing is pretty nice. She has office 07 pro, and can even use access and power point without any trouble (upgraded the ram though).
    Drawbacks: small right shift key drives me nuts (has the nice sony/mac style raised keys though). Also has a small screen (used to 24" and 13.3") and it is slow as hell. Now slow don't matter so much for web and simple word shit. But from my rig to the asus it drives me nuts. My lappy is a mac (it was her's too but the asus was "cute" and small, also, who can argue against 9 hours battery, my phone can't match that, tmobile g1).
    Short answer hers does the trick and she loves it, and it was cheap ($350 at the egg), but it is slow, the screen is small, and I would rather write out my excel sheets by hand thanuse it.
    Last edited by thephilosophizer; April 4th, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

Now slow don't matter so much for web and simple word shit. But from my rig to the asus it drives me nuts.
    Thats how I feel when I get on my wifes computer (she has a 1st gen XP computer which is 1.5 GHz single core amd processor, 256MB memory and such)

Blog Entries
    Hasn't the Asus been overtaken by various othet netbooks such as the HP and some from Acer? The newer 10-inch ones appear to be running Vista, and some come with an option of XP or Linux (Suse).

The HP doesn't have that keyboard issue, they've made a 92% keyboard, which is almost the size of a full keyboard and more importantly, it has all the keys in the right place. Their 10inch systems are quite smaller than their rivals.

I like to use Outlook to manage my 7 mailboxes, not webmail. So, in other words, the closest I can get it to run programs of that of a normal PC, the better.

What about the OS - should I be wanting Vista, or XP, maybe Linux?

you should probably skip vista unless the netbooks have at least 2 gigs of memory. Linus would probably be faster than XP but linux can take some getting used to.

I would go for XP as its an OS I'm used to using and it can run pretty much any program unless the program is mac only (I don't know about linux).

Blog Entries
    I agree, Vista is one of the reasons why I am selling my current laptop, despite the fact that I have 4GB RAM.

Linux will get some getting used to, but I don't know if Windows programs will run on the OS. XP is a likely option

I know a huge amount of windows program don't run on linux unless you get some program (can't remember the name of it).

Blog Entries
    Program is called WINE.
    And 99% of the time there is a open source program that will read/write do anything to MS files you want. And 99% of the time the programs are better. (IMO I guess)

If your considering a Eee, the "easy mode" desktop is super super simple. They have a factory restore setting, so if you mess up anything you hold down [F2] while booting, make you selection, and literally like 15seconds later you have you fully restored Eee back to factory settings.
    But Linux can be tricky in some spots, I admit. Just depends I guess on what your doing. But with what you described (email, office apps, etc) they are extremely capable, and easy to use.

I've had my first gen Eee for a good time now, and my biggest complaint is probably the keyboard. BUT, the new ones are larger, and much easier to type on IMO. But ours had been running like a champ. And while the main rig was down a couple months back I hooked up my 20" LCD, Razor mouse, and gaming keyboard and it actually was pretty nifty. Didn't have to do anything but plug them in and go.

Good luck though in your search.
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Well I know my wife got the eee 1000he, which is the newest version that has a new keyboard layout (which overcomes the previous keyboard issues) and the fastest atom processor available (1.66ghz as opposed to the standard 1.6ghz). According to cnet the new asus is the fastest performing, and has the best battery of the netbooks currently available. In short, it does the job, but consider your purposes and needs, because a $500 standard size laptop will be able to perform better, though it will be bigger, heavier, and not get anywhere near the battery life.
    -Thomas Paine

Blog Entries
    I think it's likely that I am going to go for an XP platform. It just has that flexibility as largely down to the fact that I'm familiar with it.

But of course, I need to make sure the netbook doesn't overlap with the prices of that of normal laptops.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the dell Mini 9, and its pretty nice. Im still trying to get used to the keyboard. I would suggest if you got the SSD route to get something larger than a 8GB. I have one and Xp takes a good amount of space on it. Add office and right now im down to 2.64 GB free! I could never use this as full time replacement, the screen is way to small

Just a heads up!

Blog Entries
    The Dell mini is about the same size as my HP TX2500. Apparantly, the HP mini is supposed to be the smallest on the market with a 10" screen AND a keyboard closest to the full size.

But, I don't know if they do the SSD range, and if you they I may not go for it, mainly because of the amount of space available. A recent size would probably be the 32GB drive, but still, I'll probably be down about 15-17GB after installing all my applications. The SSD is an attractive feature to me because it doesn't skip with the shake of the laptop - which I'm guessing there will be a lot of considering teh size of the Mini's.

But the SSD and normal HD is probably another thing to think about after finding out of they are included in HP's Mini Range.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What kind of applications are you planning to install on it? The purpose is for portability not to be a laptop replacement.

Blog Entries
    The biggest installation is probably going to be Office, and maybe Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Lightroom

I'm not going to attempt to use it as a laptop - I'm selling my current laptop because I don't use it fully.

I'll just be using it for word processing, internet, emailing, music, video - everything an average user might do. But there might be the odd web editting or simple photo editting in Lightroom. But if it can't handle it, I'll simply uninstall it, but it would be a bonus if it could.

Quote Originally Posted by J1mmy View Post
    The biggest installation is probably going to be Office, and maybe Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Lightroom

I'm not going to attempt to use it as a laptop - I'm selling my current laptop because I don't use it fully.

I'll just be using it for word processing, internet, emailing, music, video - everything an average user might do. But there might be the odd web editting or simple photo editting in Lightroom. But if it can't handle it, I'll simply uninstall it, but it would be a bonus if it could.
    This is not an "Average user" laptop. You are going to be VERY disappointed with it if thats your desire. It just doesnt have the multitasking or raw power to handle the workload of much more then IE/FF and maybe trillian or your choice of chat program open.

Runnin the system with about 300megs of actively used RAM makes the system slow down and once FF pegs out at 450-500 I have to restart it so I cant stream audio or video continuously. I was a sad panda when i started having issues with Hulu after more then a few minutes of video.

Yeah I might forgo thoughts of anything adobe beyond acrobat. Though I have used hulu, and streamed video off my own network, and haven't seen any issues there (I don't know if the distinction matters but I did upgrade my wife's eee to 2gb's before even turning it on the first time, and it does run xp).
    Word would probably be fine, wouldn't have much hopes for excel, though she didn't seem to have much trouble putting together an animated ppt.
    -Thomas Paine

Blog Entries
    How about if I stick in 4Gb of RAM? Are you also telling me that it can't handle Outlook or Office?

If Word doesn't work, well, then that's really going to shift my decision.

You could try MSI wind series...my U100 i bought is serving me well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information