+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ASUS confusion

ASUS confusion

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor - Vintage Brown - K60I-RBBBR05, is it a good brand? I see it has 4.5/5.0 rating, which is very good. It's much cheaper than other brands, and you get more, such as a 500gb & 16".
    However, it says in specs:Intel® Pentium® processor T4400Features an 800MHz system bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.
    but CNET review says: "Processor 2.2GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 "Asus K60I is among the cheapest laptops to have a dual-core processor."

However, reviewer 'crashemt' states: "not Core Processor"
    Is it or not a Dual Core?
    Last edited by Gomar; March 23rd, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Asus a good brand, yeah sure, is it a good lappy for the price IDK and not knowing what you want to do with it its even harder to say

Info on the cpu is fairly easy to find just check intel
    IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® Processor T4400 (1M Cache, 2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) Socket P with SPEC Code(s) SLGJL

should add, about crashemt's comment. You need to understand Intel's naming schemes, he likely means its dual core (Pentium dual core to be exact) but not a core 2 duo, its all about the difference in architecture. Pentiums are the cheaper slower chips where as core 2 duo and now core i3, i5, i7 ect are the faster better chips.

That's why you always double check the info yourself. Going straight to the source or using Google is your best bet.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 23rd, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

I have an Asus laptop, and it was one of the best deals I've ever gotten. I went for the G51j, it was around 1500.

Asus has an awesome warranty program too, mine came with a 2 year full warranty and a 1 year accidental. If I drop this lappy on the ground and smash it, they replace it for me. All in all, very happy with my purchase.

For what it is worth, Asus is one of the very few laptop sellers, that actually makes laptops.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Ultimate Member
    I was actually going to purchase two of those Asus and instead went with these:

Acer Aspire AS7740-5691 17.3" Laptop | Staples®

Acer has a bigger screen, new i3 processor and far better Graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

They make their own also, I think.
    Edit
    Probably not, But that makes no difference, who ever makes them, does a good job.
    The Top Laptop Makers Are Not HP Dell or Toshiba Ebooks Download | Acrobat PDF Files
    Last edited by stroyal; March 27th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Not to rip on your purchase or anything, but I have had nothing but worlds of trouble with Acers. Shoddy cases, sub-par hardware that always seems to burn out and die, and awful customer service experiences.

Now that's just me, and some people love em. But that's my 2 cents on Acer.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    on the customer service thing Asus is no better.

have several friends that have had trouble with Asus many many many times over the years with RMA's and other issues.

takes Asus forever to get things taken care of.

as it is I'm waiting on one friend to get his Motherboard RMA'd and sent to him so we can do a swap of motherboards, his Triple SLI board for my Triple Crossfire.

and he's been waiting for over 3 months now on the damn thing.

Im not sure how Asus is with their laptops, but if the CS in other areas and their crappy Website load times and constant other issues on their website is a sign, I can't imagine it being any better.

The only reason I recommended an Asus Netbook to my Mom was the price at the store, and weighed a bit less than the Gateway we were looking at, specs were identical (Atom N450 250GB, etc etc), but slight difference in price and felt lighter in weight.

Yeah Gateway isn't any better either, but either way we were damned if we do, damned if we don't when it came to the netbook decisions.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgnstrong View Post
    Not to rip on your purchase or anything, but I have had nothing but worlds of trouble with Acers. Shoddy cases, sub-par hardware that always seems to burn out and die, and awful customer service experiences.

Now that's just me, and some people love em. But that's my 2 cents on Acer.
    And the joy of working on pc's almost everyday is that I can pick your broad statement apart and state fact.

Acer as an oem laptop manufacturer likes to put toolbars, limited trial programs and crappy software/drivers for some of their integrated components as does every other manufacturer. Certain higher end models experience less of an assault. The FIRST thing I do on a new computer is wipe the factory imaged os

Sub-Par hardware? Really? You are going to come to a tech forum and tell other techies they got sub-par hardware. Did you look at the link @ Staples I provided? A more astute observation would be that much like other manufacturers Acer has a plethora of models with shoddy cases, poor cooling solutions and shoddy power supplies. Buyer beware no brand is immune.

Customer service? You mean there are companies that still provide that? I have no doubt that HP, Dell and Asus would have had American based support but it is almost all fabricated in China my friend. Asus can also kiss my ass just like Xfx before them eVga is where the Support is currently imo and unfortunately they do not assemble laptops.

17" is a bit too big for me to carry around on trips. Thank god when I was in school no one even had laptops. I cant imagine carrying a bookbag full of books(about 50lbs) + these portable clunkers. And all for what? Just to check your facebook, Twitter, myspace, emails, etc.?Is this a laptop or luggage frankly? You might as well buy a desktop with a 17" monitor instead. In fact, I am thinking a 14.5" would serve me better.it's just bigger hdd vs. bigger screen.

Ultimate Member
    Why not just go with a netbook then Gomar? Better yet an iPhone

And the joy of working on pc's almost everyday is that I can pick your broad statement apart and state fact.

Acer as an oem laptop manufacturer likes to put toolbars, limited trial programs and crappy software/drivers for some of their integrated components as does every other manufacturer. Certain higher end models experience less of an assault. The FIRST thing I do on a new computer is wipe the factory imaged os

Sub-Par hardware? Really? You are going to come to a tech forum and tell other techies they got sub-par hardware. Did you look at the link @ Staples I provided? A more astute observation would be that much like other manufacturers Acer has a plethora of models with shoddy cases, poor cooling solutions and shoddy power supplies. Buyer beware no brand is immune.

Customer service? You mean there are companies that still provide that? I have no doubt that HP, Dell and Asus would have had American based support but it is almost all fabricated in China my friend. Asus can also kiss my ass just like Xfx before them eVga is where the Support is currently imo and unfortunately they do not assemble laptops.

Oh like I said, thats just my personal experience, and yeah you could pretty much say that about any manufacturer. I've seen HP's fall apart, Dells burn out after 2 weeks, an LG with an assploded graphics card. It's just that in my travels I've seen a lower than usual percentage of satisfaction with Acer.

(And of course I came onto a tech forum to tell other techies about sub-par hardware, wheres the fun in arguing with laymen? )

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgnstrong View Post
    wheres the fun in arguing with laymen? )
    My fun was zapped long ago arguing with mac fan gurls. Uh whats intel x86

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Pentiums are the cheaper slower chips where as core 2 duo and now core i3, i5, i7 ect are the faster better chips.
    Everything is relative. There was a time when Pentiums were the latest and greatest. I remember when Pentium I came out; then PII to PIV.

When you say "slower chip" compared to what? If Core2 dual-core is not good enough for your needs, then yes, go with a i7 for $799.
    I'll get a AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P340 [2.2Ghz] for $350 instead for emails and internet. It could last me 5 years, I'll upgrade RAM, get a bigger HDD later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information