+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Originally posted by Tekk
    Alienware may be more expensive but they make quality stuff. Whether its worth the 500+ then thats up to the buyer....but to answer the ORIGINAL question....yes Im sure the Alienware laptop is a great desktop substitute
    I can't say that I agree from all the feedback I hear on the net when it comes to comparing AlienWare notebooks to other Sager-based notebooks.

I don't know a great deal about either company, but I spent about a month reading everything I could find about Sager-like notebooks, and who was happy and who was not.

It seems everywhere I went, people had more hardware or service problems with AlienWare rather than powernotebooks/Sager.

Now it's true, only the people who want to bitch post to usenet grouops most of the time. With that say, I saw more complaints about AlienWare than about Sager (powernotebooks).

My guess was simply a matter of them having to disassemble the laptop once more than everyone else just to paint the case, but who knows.

The ONLY thing (other than price) that hurts the laptop is the 1 PCMCIA slot. Other than that it IS the ULTIMATE desktop replacement.
    If your looking for the ultimate desktop replacement, look at the Sager NP888x. This is the one im getting when it comesout with ATI9000 chip and USB2.0. It also has support for up to 3 internal hard drives, and the screen is slightly bigger. The keyboard is nicer too, it even has a NumPad. Theres also 2 TypeII/1 TypeIII PCMCIA slots.

This is the setup Im getting. I also plan on adding 3 60GB 5400RPM hard drives, and 1024MB of RAM

Talk about the ultimate desktop replacement.

Avicus you seem to have an answer to everything dont you

Claco, if thats what you've found then Im glad you're spreading the word. Im just goin off of my friends good experiences with the desktops that alienware makes. They had good times with em so I figured the laptops would be just the same. Apparently there are more than just a few lemons out there.
    YAH! I knew you'd be jealous

The reason that alienware has such good desktops is because they use consumer quality components, unlike other OEMs who use crappy generic components and second class crap. the laptops, however, are the exact same thing weather you go with alienware or sager. they come off the same assembly line

Originally posted by superart
    The reason that alienware has such good desktops is because they use consumer quality components, unlike other OEMs who use crappy generic components and second class crap. the laptops, however, are the exact same thing weather you go with alienware or sager. they come off the same assembly line
    This still makes me curious. Same assembly line, ok. So why does it appear that more poeple have complaints about the AlienWare rather than the Sager?

I'm still wondering if they have to dissassemble, paint, reassemble: if that's causing the problems,

Or, it's all in my head.

Talking Alienware fooling customers

Guys has anyone of you realised about something particular on their website on the Alienware configurator.. well I did ..
    when you choose the alienware 51m on motherboard specs says

- Intel 845E+ICH3m Chipset FC PGA 478PIN DDR

And know guess what ? I checked details and what did it say?

DDR SDRAM (PC-2100)

Chipset:
    Intel« 845MP

Memory Capacity:
    1GB

System Bus Speed:
    400MHz

Wasn't it supposed to be an 845MP chipset used in mobile cpu's ?
    there's something not closing up on here dudes..

Alienfakeware !! that's it's name

I'm open to hear your X-pressions

Pablo, how many times does this need to be repeated? The only desktop component is the RAM and CPU. Its a laptop mobo, a laptop hard drive, and a laptop eavrything else. I understand its not he most portable thing in the world, but its not meant to be. Its meant to be a desktop replacement, and it does that verry well. If you want portability and long batery life go with a transmetta solution. If you want power and performance, go with sager. End of story.

Eh geese guys this whole thing is abit nuts. Look, Sager makes the laptops for sagernotebooks.com and powernotebooks.com, I don't know who makes Alienware's stuff. I really don't care. Here is the point. I own a Sager, I think its a great machine, had a few problems with it and Sager has been pretty good at keeping me happy. Now, would a Sager and a similar Alienware machine costs be different? I am sure! Alienware is giving you a highy modified case and a unique look. Be prepared to pay for it, thats how the free market works. Unique = exspensive. But if plain gray is ok with you then get a Sager. Its really just that simple.

Undeadlord

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Pablo, the reason the description says "Intel 845E+ICH3m Chipset FC PGA 478PIN DDR ", is b/c they are not using a P4 mobile chip. They are using a full blown desktop P4 cpu.

Superart is correct in saying that everything else in there is for laptop but the CPU, mobo, and RAM are ALL desktop platform products.
    It sure is dark in here?! WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Undeadlord
    Eh geese guys this whole thing is abit nuts. Look, Sager makes the laptops for sagernotebooks.com and powernotebooks.com, I don't know who makes Alienware's stuff. I really don't care. Here is the point. I own a Sager, I think its a great machine, had a few problems with it and Sager has been pretty good at keeping me happy. Now, would a Sager and a similar Alienware machine costs be different? I am sure! Alienware is giving you a highy modified case and a unique look. Be prepared to pay for it, thats how the free market works. Unique = exspensive. But if plain gray is ok with you then get a Sager. Its really just that simple.

Undeadlord
    Not to be picky or mean, but in fact Sager, Alienware, Prostar, some FOSA systems, and probably a few others I haven't found yet are all made by Clevo.

Give that site a look, it might be interesting. You can download owner's manuals, for instance (although the actual manual will vary with the vendor).

Ultimate Member
    It sure is a badass paintjob on the Alienware systems tho.... Wonder how hard is it to DIY it......
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Who really makes notebooks.....

I am always amazed at the lack of knowledge people have when it comes to laptops. Any of the brand names people are familiar with are not made by them. alienware up until this year was made by clevo, not the shell, the whole thing. Now alienware is using the uniwill N766 as the "new" area51m. (www.uniwill.com)

the really funny part is that people have this false sense of loyalty to companies that slap their name on something they didn't build. if you want to know who really makes laptops, do some research. you'll be shocked.
    Clevo - one of the best quality, brands - Sager , Eurocom,
    Compal - very large company - dell, compaq
    Quanta - another monster - ibm, dell and sony
    Mitac - check em out
    Uniwill - very kool potential - alienware area51, upgradeable video
    Inventec - toshiba, compaq

i really am not looking to debate this, just look for yourself.(below)
    You will find that the real world of notebooks is pretty disappointing. All the competition between brands that are made buy the same damn companies. it is hilarious. most of these companies are massive chinese based firms. find these web site and you will see the real manufactures of compaq, hp, dell and so on. Even their pocket pc's are make by these guys.

Peace!

www.mitac-mtc.com.tw
    www.clevo.com.tw
    www.uniwill.com
    www.compal.com.tw
    www.quanta.com.tw
    www.inventec.com

Banned

Thumbs up Alienware Hive laptop

Why do they think they can join the site and recommend members to buy their stuff?? sheesh

TechIMO FAQ

You will not post for-profit personal referrals, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, spam, or solicitations. Any advertisement for a Member's business, website, affiliation or other association may be placed in the Member's Profile in the HomePage section only.

NDC
    Xtreme Member
    OMG! Those prices really are RIP OFFS! Look at the prices on the so called professional workstations! I'm sure you could build far better systems for that kind of money!
    [NDC]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information