+ Reply to Thread

Question Dead Pixels / Brightness

Couple of questions.

First, I've noticed an area of about one square inch in the lower portion of my laptop display that is a whole lot lighter than the rest of the display (even booting, in Windoze). Are these dead pixels and if so, how do I test for dead pixels?

Second, the display has lost a whole lot of brightness in the last day or so. I crank up the brightness without any affect. I've ruled out a driver problem as it does it in ME, 2K, XP and in DOS. Is this a sign that the display is going south?

I ask these questions because, if in fact the display is going, I have one week left on my warranty.

The laptop is a Sager 8880 and I use it every day. I always have it set to shut off the display after 15 minutes of inactivity / no screen saver. I find it hard to believe that the display would die / fade in just a year .

Any advice on what to look for would be really helpful.

TIA!

Mike

Why waste time, call them and tell them you've got a display problem. In the event it requires replacement, putting in your call prior to the expiration of the warranty makes your case stronger that they'll have to cover it.

A bright area by itself does not indicate dead pixels unless they are permanently fixed at one color.

Same question here I just picked up Toshiba Satellite A15-S127 ($699 @ BB)on saturday first day of using it and I got one dead pixel so sunday morning I went back to BB and exchanged it but after couple hours of using it this one got one bad pixel as well.

Now I did some research and find out that for the companies it is normal to have few ( depends on the company 3 -7 dead pixels ) should I be concern about this and go and exchange it again or just say screw it . Dead pixel is not a big deal for me but I am concern if any other ones start poping up right after.

Anybody else had the same problem with this model ?

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    >First, I've noticed an area of about one square inch in the lower portion of my laptop display that is a whole lot lighter than the rest of the display (even booting, in Windoze). Are these dead pixels and if so, how do I test for dead pixels?

no, those aren't dead pixels but it sound like you have a problem w/ the backlight.

sounds like a call is in order...

Thanks!

PJ - DOH - I didn't think about the backlight. I'll be RMA'ing it first thing Tuesday (2 week to the day of the end of the warranty ).

Jeez, I'm gonna feel lost without my laptop for a week. It normally just sits on my desk. Now I need it to test a wireless network. Go figure.

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information