+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    When you produce as many of these boards as Asus has you're bound to have a large amount of bad boards (which is actually a very small percentage of total production). It'd be interesting to know exactly how many A7N8X's they've sold world-wide... boat loads full I imagine, heh.

When I tries to install XP Pro on a IDe drive, I disabled the SATA (using the jumper) and also disconnected the drives.

I am starting to think that the onboard SARA controller is dead and thefore I am going to contact the supplier any see if I can RMA it and get another.

edit > Please do not argue with each other in tis thread, please start another if you want to argue. Thanks for the bumping though!
    Peter

Q6600 | GA-PS35-DS3R | 8 Gb RAM | 2 x 64 Gb SSD RAID 0 | 8600GT

So you couldn't get it working with the IDE drive either? Could be more than just the SATA controller. Are you using Master/Slave for the jumpers? Try Cable Select if you have more than one device. Have you tried hunting around at nForcersHQ? They have an Asus-specific section, maybe you can find something related to your problem there.

The mobo accesses the IDE drive fine, e.g. I formatted it and then tried the install windows XP Pro but as it was detecting the devices in setup, it froze and needed a restart and this happend again at the same time and thefore cant go any futher on the install.

Could this be windows setup coming accross the hardware (SATA controller) and the because it was not working correctly it decided to mess up?

Thnaks for the website, I will have a look just now. I will stay on the forum for the next few mins though.
    Peter

Just out of curiosity, did you hit F6 during setup when Windows setup prompts you to do so to load third-party scsi controllers? If not, that may be causing problems with the SATA drive, as that is when you need to load the drivers for the Silicon Image SATA drive controller. Just a possiblity, I guess.........

Shawn
    Shawn

This was installing to an IDE drive so I did not have do do that (SATA Disconnected) BUT maybe it need the drivers anyway so I will give that a try tomorrow which I have some more time.

I DID have to do this when I installed on the SATA drive as setup does not know about SATA controllers.
    Peter

eh, i think its not too good a board. built many nforce 2 systems (for myself, my gf, my brothers, my friends)... about 10 or so. only problem i ever had was with the asus a7n8x board. wouldnt boot one day. so i took it out and threw it back to newegg.com and had it replaced with an msi k7 deltaN AND a biostar n7cd pro.
    Audio 1337:
    SB3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III DAC -> Cary SLP-05 Reference tube preamp -> Plinius SA-102 amp -> Martin Logan Summit

Yep its a bad asus. All asus mobos suck. Some people Ill tell ya. LOL. One way logic.
    R.I.P. TKOP
    You will always be in our hearts and thoughts. God bless.

Okay, I RMA'd the board yeasterday and hopefully they will sort it out by sending me a new one.

Why do all asus boards suck?
    Peter

personally I have built 3 systems with Asus Mobos, 1 A7S333 (my own) and apart from needing specific ram it has worked perfectly for almost 1.5 - 2 yrs. Recently have built 2 with Asus P4P800's and they both are working a dream, zero probs. IMO Asus are one of better Mobo Manufacturers about

Peter did you try updating the bios before you RMA'd incase it had just got confused???

Whoops I lied. My A7N8X-DX, my third one personally, just gave up the ghost yesterday and will not post. I don't overclock either.
    What a crock. Selling the RMA replacement and I'm off to get a Gigabyte!

It's sick I tell you, just sick. (In a bad way)
    - Freaky

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information