+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Motherboard, PC wont start

Heres my problem. I just bought a new motherboard, a pentium 4 processor and a memory stick. I installed the processor and the memory in the motherboard and plugged the motherboard into my computer. But when I try to turn on my pc the green light on the motherboard comes up and the fan starts spinning. But the pc itself wont start. It wont start the hard drives and wont turn on the cd-roms. If u unplug the cdroms from the motherboard they actually start but that doesnt help me any. If any one knows what the problem could be. Please reply. Btw I never installed any motherboards before and dont know much about it except what it tells you in the manual.

Welcome to Techimo!

First, I would check that the "Clear BIOS" jumper is set correctly. I've got one that was shipped to me with it set in the clear position.

What kind of board is it?

If it has Nvidea chipset, unplug it for 30 seconds to reset the bios if you find the jumper is set correctly.
    Over heard in a restaurant: "How do you want your eggs?" the waitress asked. "NFL Style. Beaten"!

Its a P4P800 SE ASUS motherboard. and to tell you the truth I have no idea what are the clear bios.

Oh and I bought this at the store. The guy actually plugged it into a computer at the store and it worked fine, i think, then he just unplugged and put it in the box as is.
    Last edited by Drakarn; July 16th, 2004 at 11:10 PM.

have u tried reformated ?

with most major upgrades u should reformat and give the system a fresh start.

how do I do that?

i sent a simple walk threw to u in ur private messages

Thx, but I cant do that because my PC wont turn on at all. and my OS is Windows XP

oh ok then i cant help. take ur pc to the place where u bought the mobo and throw a bit of cash at them and tell them to deal with it. i do that when i get frustrated (dam sata) sorry i wasnt much of a help u still should reformat tho when u do get it up and running.

When the guy at the store connected it all, did he use all of the compoments that you purchased?

If so, try reseating everything,,, but before you do the CPU, just reseat the ram and make sure that all connections are in there correct spot, ie. power, fans etc.

Some times it is just the ram that is not in properly.

One last thing.. When the guy at th store tested it all di he disassemble the CPU and fan? as it may need some reaplication of thermal compound.

Paul

Do you have the four pin ATX connector hooked up?

And if so, do you have another power supply to try?

Then try one stick of ram, 1 Hdd, and the video card, mouse, keyboard and see if she boots up. Just the minimum needed to run. Tell us if it at least POSTS...

Right near the battery you will see a three pin jumper. Your manual will tell you which pins are correct. However if the guy in the store ran it and it worked, then the settings are ok.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; July 17th, 2004 at 12:07 AM.
    Over heard in a restaurant: "How do you want your eggs?" the waitress asked. "NFL Style. Beaten"!

Any beeps?
    Normally a beep code will tell you what the problem is
    If you arent even getting video you might want to make sure the cpu+heatsink is installed correctly, as well as the CPUFAN sensor plugged correctly into the mobo

One more thing, can you get into the BIOS?

Usually hold down the DEL key when rebooting.

If so, choose fail safe start up options.

Thanks for all the replys, hope they will point me in the right way, but so far, no beeps, no sounds, no video or nothing. The guy at the store did not disassemble the cpu and the fan, they are still in the mobo. All I did was unpluged my old motherboard, took it out and put in a new one, which I plugged in nearly the same way. When I switched back to my old one it works perfectly, but this new one just wont budge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan
    One more thing, can you get into the BIOS?

Usually hold down the DEL key when rebooting.

If so, choose fail safe start up options.
    No I cant. My PC does not turn on at all. The monitor is always off and I cant hear any sound of life from cd-roms or harddrives.

Ok so let me get this straight just for clarification.
    You bought a motherboard at a store.

It already had the CPU and heatsink installed

you took the board home, installed the brass standoffs onto the case panel, then you placed the mobo on them and screwd it down

You then connected all the power cables, including the main 20ping ATX, the 4 pin square plug for the pentium processor. Sometimes there is a 4pin straight molex connector near the AGP slot, other boards have auxillary power connections too.

Installed memory at some point

Installed Video Card. Depending on the vidoe card it may have had its own power connector

Hooked up all the LED/Switch wires/CPU heatsink fan sensor
    Since you are not getting any beeps.. its possible the system speaker is connected wrong.

Installed the IDE devices and cables and connected power to them

It sounds just like something isnt hooked up right to me.
    Look over everything carefully, examine your motherboard manual, make sure the motherboard isnt touching the metal of the case, this could cause a short and make it not boot up right.

Try booting the system up with only, cpu + 1 stick of memory + video card. If it works, begin adding each part until somethign screws up and you may have found the problem

one more thing
    u did put the power jumpers in the right way didnt u ?

Just as VHockey86 replied,

The stand-offs that you screw your motherboard onto, make sure they are in the right place. I put my motherboard in my old case and didnt pay attention to the standoff screws, and on of them was touching the motherboard causing a short. Just recheck that and post back.

I dont think that the screws are the problem. I even tried it w/o screwing the mobo in and still had the same problem. I dont think the board is touching any metal of the case.

"installed the brass standoffs onto the case panel, then you placed the mobo on them and screwd it down"
    -VHockey86

umm no I never installed any brass standoffs. Im not even sure what those are.

Anyway Im going to go back to the manual and try to do everything from the beginning.

Well, does your case have little tabs that stick up to support the motherboard? I've seen those b4.

You cant simply anchor the motherboard directly flat onto the case panel, it has tons of pins that stick down. "Brass Standoffs" are little copper/brass colored rods that have a male end that screws into the case, and then theres about 3/8" of a section that sticks up which contains a female thread where you set the motherboard on top of and screws anchor into through the mount holes on the board.

Kind of hard to explain I guess
    Whoever said a picture was worth 1000 words was a genius =)
    http://xnet.rrc.mb.ca/brianb/images/...B%20spacer.jpg

Heres the guide that picture was from
    http://xnet.rrc.mb.ca/brianb/Install...stallation.htm

Havent read any of it myself but I figured I'd give you something to read b/c im going to bed here soon
    Google is your friend =)

Hmm I dont have any of those and didn't get any with my motherboard.

*Update*

Found my problem. It was just one of the cables that wasnt plugged in. It was never used before on my old mobo so i never took notice of it, but after reading the manual again it said that w/o that cable system wont boot. So after plugging it in everything worked. So far so good. I got the blue screen of death tho, so I gotta reinstall windows xp and hope it works.

Thx for your help everyone.
    Last edited by Drakarn; July 17th, 2004 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Welcome to Techimo!

First, I would check that the "Clear BIOS" jumper is set correctly. I've got one that was shipped to me with it set in the clear position.

What kind of board is it?

If it has Nvidea chipset, unplug it for 30 seconds to reset the bios if you find the jumper is set correctly.
    I HAVE SAME PROBLEM with ga-8sg800 motherboard 3gh fans oscellate with power pack. changed power pack lite on front panel stays on no dvd or harddrive operation .how do i know if clear bios jumper is set correctly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information