+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quanta MoBo?

Quanta MoBo?

I used Everest Ultimate to look up my mother board, and it came up with a Quanta brand number 3082, version 36.31. anyone tell me if that sounds right? i'm trying to find a way to make my fans turn on sooner and stay on more.

if it's saying that, it's reading it from somewhere. try looking at the motherboard and finding part numbers or revision numbers and googling them, see what comes up.

Is it a laptop? Quanta is a fairly bigname ODM for laptops.

yes, it is a laptop. any ideas on where i could look to find ways to change fan turn on points or speeds?

where would the numbers be? i'm fairly new to laptops, and know only bits and peices of desktops.

yeah.... you'd have to pop it open. possibly you could see it if you removed the keyboard, but scratch that idea.

what you need to do is make sure you have the correct chipset drivers and latest bios to support ACPI, as that is the interface that will give you the fan control and what not.

there's a program called speedfan i beleive which will give control to these kinds of things if the hardware supports it.

i have speedfan already, i need to find out what motherboard etc. i am running to allow me to change the settings

well, what kind of laptop is it?

it is an HP Pavillion zd8000 (zd8215 specific model), Pentium 4 with HT (3GHZ), 112GB 4200 rpm HD, 768 (originally 512) RAM, Radeon x600 GPU (128mb)

also, any suggestions on a preferred cooling pad brand?
    or any other ways to cool it?
    i was just online, not gaming or anything, in about mid 80 external temps, and my cpu got up to 155F

i'm going to say that there's not alot of support for dynamic speed control on that system since it has a desktop P4 in it. the speedfan support listing that has all of the motherboards they know support the software listed a few laptop motherboards, and not the quanta. the fact that it's HP leads me to beleive that it definitely doesn't have those features.

as for a cooling pad, unless you need to keep your legs from burning, don't bother. to keep the system cool, get the latest bios and also ensure as dust free of air passageways as possible. that will make the temps rise quicker than any other factor.

Ultimate Member
    ... and besides, you'll find that any halfway (post-2000) notebook controls its temperatures and fan speeds through ACPI methods - meaning that the sensors, thresholds and fan control chips are in the operating system's domain, unavailable for userspace programs.

there's more than a few utilities out there that give a "user interface" to ACPI... windows power management for one. the way it would use ACPI to control this is to hook in the fan control with the changes of ACPI states... if this is how they impliment it.

they could also hook the fan control into a temperature sensor (more common with desktop processors in mobile platforms than mobile processors), but in my experience whenever i made changes to the system's state by, for example, unplugging the power and moving the power source to battery, the fan speed would immeidiately change to reflect the change of the system's state.
    Last edited by johnnyis42; March 25th, 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Of course it does.

When you're doing thermals in ACPI, you erect a "thermal zone" object that spans a heat source (e.g. the CPU), a temperature reading, and cooling methods (throttling, fan). Thresholds for the temperature reading trigger adjustment of the cooling method, also entirely under control of the ACPI scripts.

Other ACPI-controlled events, like change of power source or opening/closing the lid, may also be used to change cooling strategy or temperature thresholds.

When userspace software tries to program the temperature sensor chip while ACPI uses it, the changes either won't last long because ACPI keeps overwriting them, or it's going to fsck up the automated control the machine makers deemed necessary.

(Can you tell which side of the affair I'm writing the software for? )

that laptop is PRO!
    New Computer:
    MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4
    AMD 64 3200+ Processor @ 2.1ghz
    1gb G.Skill Dual Channel DDR Ram
    GeForce 6800 GS 256MB
    FSP Sparkle ATX 400w

Quote Originally Posted by Peter M
    Other ACPI-controlled events, like change of power source or opening/closing the lid, may also be used to change cooling strategy or temperature thresholds.
    right, but i was always under the impression that things like the utilities motherboard manufacturers released actually gave state control over to their terminate-and-stay-resident processes, which worked in kernel mode and not user mode, seperately from the UI used to configure the behaviour. is this not the case, or is there a level of abstraction between the level any UI can communicate with ACPI functions that make this impossible?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information