+ Reply to Thread

Will a micro-ATX board fit in an ATX case?

I realize it sounds rather dumb to ask but I need to replace my MB (FSB266) and I found an micro-ATX board that I really like.

Yes, of course. A micro-ATX board will fit fine and snugly in any ATX case. I used to have a foxconn mATX board in my ATX case, and I can tell you theres lots of room at the bottom ;D
    Mac Mini—2Ghz—2GB RAM—Snow Leopard
    PC—e6420 2.16Ghz—2GB RAM—8800GT—ASUS P5LD2—XP
    EEE 1000H—1.6Ghz—1GB RAM—XP

Banned
    It should readily go into a standard atx case if you are able to adjust the mounting. Most of
    the cases will see several rows of screw holes for moving the mounts depending size along
    with shape of the board. Some custom cases may not have that flexibility however.

Ultimate Member
    Yes it will. mATX boards are just three slots shorter than fullsize. Mounting hole positions and all other mechanical properties are the same, and so are the electrical connections.

My ATX board fits in my case but the processor sits right under the PSU. There is a little air circulation there. A microatx board might fix that.

It probably won't, the difference between ATX and mATX boards is real estate missing from the bottom.

Cases where the power supply sits above the motherboard (if it's a tower, then viewed with the case open and lying down on it's side) tend to have poor air circulation. I would get a slightly bigger case that uses standard sized atx power supplies located to the "side" of the motherboard. Not only is the airflow better, but high power PSUs are relatively cheap and plentiful in standard ATX sizes.

No doubt a mATX board will fit in an ATX case. Personally I like the ATX cases with four 5.25" external drive bays. This way the power supply is located above the board. If the power supply is located next to the board this can prevent the installation of some large heatsink/fan combos.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

i'm ussuming you trying to run 2 mobo's in the 1 case or just 1???

if it's 2 i'd try modifying the rear of the case and use a atx & btx configuration in a fat serverstyle case...

as for using a mini atx in a standard atx you may need to place mobo in loose to where the standard atx mobo would sit, then procede to using a permanent marker mark out the hole points for the mobo mount's....

alternantly you could weld 2 cases together, make a custom mounting plate for the mini atx mobo, mount in the in the 2nd case with a standard atx mobo in the 1st case though i wouldn't install the large atx til the mini atx is mounted, you may need hinge mount the atx mobo, so you're able to access the pci-e/x & pci slots easly...

I'm going to clean this thread up...any further useless posts will be removed as well along with a warning to the guilty party.

Let me quote the rule for you.
    Useless posting can further be defined as any material that provides no actual benefit to the forum or thread in which it is contained. Such messages are subject to removal.
    ~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir1134 View Post
    Yes, of course. A micro-ATX board will fit fine and snugly in any ATX case. I used to have a foxconn mATX board in my ATX case, and I can tell you theres lots of room at the bottom ;D
    No I'm sorry but thats not true.I just bought a motherboard it is a micro,I read on the forums that it would fit.It does not fit the mountings for mouse,keyboard,monitor do not line up.

LOL, noob spotted! Resurrecting a three-year old thread to make a wrong post

ATX and mATX are a standard, the mounting points in an ATX case (that you mount the motherboard to with screws) are always in the same spots (though which ones you get to use may vary).

What you're referring to is the backplate (aka I/O shield), these vary from board to board depending on where the manufacturer has designed the different connectors to go. Each motherboard comes with one that fits it properly, and you're supposed to pop it into whichever case you're using and pop out the old one.

Everyone says a micro atx will fit an atx case?Mine did not line up with the connections.I have to send it back and try and find a real ATX m.b.

If it was suppose to come with another plate,then they didn't send mew one.Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard is it that you have, and is having this problem?

Not all manufacturers actually send an I/O shield. Mostly no-name brands or not exactly the best name brands.

I've never heard of it not being included in a retail package, regardless of brand.

well back when I bought my parts from mcmelectronics they never sent me an I/O shield. Then again they only had IPSG boards that cost over $200 a piece.

Just out of curiousity how cd drives do you have in that computer in your pic?

That's an external SCSI enclosure with four Plextor SCSI CD burners. When it's connected to my desktop I can make four copies of a CD at once.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information