+ Reply to Thread

Can't hear voices with 5.1 surround

This is a great board with tons of info! I've searched the board and didn't see much pertaining to my problem.

I'm having trouble with a new Dell I just bought with these components:

*SoundBlaster Live! with 5.1 Support
    *Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System with Subwoofer

I know these aren't high quality components, but I at least exptected them to work.

The problem I'm having is when I'm trying to watch a DVD and the speaker setting is at 5.1 (6 speaker) output, I can't hear any dialogue. I can only hear the instrumental and background sounds. People talking comes out as a whisper. If I set the speakers to 4 speaker output, the dialogue can be heard, but I lose the surround.

Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Anyone know any sites to reference?

Thanks for any help!

Funny you ask. I have, or had I forgot if it's been fixed or not yet, the same problem with my Audigy and 5.1 Monsoon speakers. I remember the Matrix Reloaded working fine, but another one wouldn't. I replaced the crappy NvDVD program with PowerDVD, much better quality on all fronts.

I'd like to see if anyone has an answer to this also.

Thumbs up Can't hear voices with 5.1 surround sound.

I have had this problem too. No matter what DVD I play on my laptop and no matter what speakers I have hooked up. The same DVD's work just fine in my DVD player. I finally figured it out tonight after reading several other posts on several other forums.

I have Windows XP Home Edition.

I went into Sounds & Audio Devices on the Control Panel and Chose the Volume Tab, then under Device Volume, I believe I clicked on the advanced button. I adjusted the 3D Depth slider to a lower level volume and immediately you could hear the voices just like they should be. A few other tweaks on the adjoining sliders made the music level and the dialogue levels just right. I was ecstatic! I have been struggling with this for several weeks! SO aggravating!

Hope this helps many. Other posts I saw on other forums kept suggesting something wrong with the DVDs. But I knew that couldn't be right since I had tried several in both the DVD player and the laptop and hooked up three other speakers.

What program are you using to watch your DVD's? Is it capable of decoding 5.1 channels. Some DVD player software won't do 5.1 channels, especially OEM versions. You need to pay extra to go from 2.0 to 5.1 channel sound.

If you need a quick fix, change your DVD playback options to play the 2.0 soundtrack. You won't get 5.1 sound, but at least you'll be able to watch the movie till you get your software sorted out.

I think I can fix..

After looking over this post, and trying things myself, because my sound was out, I came across a very interesting section that was messing my sound up. I am using Win7, and I went into the properties by righ clicking the speaker and selecting playback options, right click speakers and then click properties, in this box, select the tab enhancements and disable all enhancements. I have tried the different enhancements and to this date, and not able to find anything that enhances the sound more than it already is, which is pretty good already.. This should take care of the background noises just being heard and no voices.. With this, I have not had any issues with my Realtek HD Audio device or surround sound speakers like I was before, with the distrortion and the problem I just mentioned,..

Let me know if this works for others as well..

mlemons2010@embarqmail.com

-Matt

and no, it is not ok to sell my email or send me junk.. so dont do it.. :-)

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IMO, software sound enhancements are usually junk and can negatively impact the aural experience.

Matt, I would recommend editing your post and taking down your email address. Us folks here are nice and won't spam you, but the millions of spambots that scour the internet could care less. You will get junked to death!

Welcome to TechIMO
    All 1.21 of them.

+100 ^^^
    ◄ it is what it is ►

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joky123 View Post
    We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

No your not, your just spamming the forums with your crap your selling in your fake signature at the bottom of your post (real sigs don't get quoted with a post)

However, your statement can apply after I get done reporting your spam post to the admins and Mods... at least from their point of view.

"We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused."

Have A Nice Day!!!

Damn, someone beat me to it
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information