+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interference on speaker wire - Cause?

I sometimes get interference on my speakers. Its only every so often, and sometimes cuts off, and is most prevalent when I first turn them on.

I was just wondering what kind of frequency the wires can pick up. The satillites are attached to the amp with standard speaker wire, and I dont hear it if i detach the wire from the amp side or drom the satillite side.
    I got 2.4Ghz phones in other rooms, a 900Mhz phone in another room, and a 900Mhz phone in this room. I also have a cell phone and a 802.11b card in my Laptop which sits in my room, but there hardly ever on.

The interference is a constant high pitched bearly audiable squeal...I have pretty acute hearing and I'm not even sure if the typical person would notice it. It cuts off when i shut off the power to the speakers, and is louder as i turn the volume louder on my speakers.

The last thing I did in my house before I noticed this interference was install the 2.4Ghz phones. Maybe thats it?

Instead of experimenting right away, I was wondering if someone who knows about speakers could tell me what kind of frequencies speaker wire would pick up.

This is with the Klipsch 5.1's

a side note - I bought new speaker wire for my rear speakers from the dollar store (great store for wires n stuff!) because the standard wire wasnt long enuf to mount them on the wall. I dont THINK that the rear speakers have this interference. I cant tell by putting my ear up to it because they were mounted high on the wall. What I did was unplug the fronts, pump the volume and then unplug one rear satillite to see if I heard any change. There was none, which leads me to assume only the front satillites are giving out the sound. I can distinctly hear it when i put my ear up to either front or center channel. Maybe the standard speaker wire that Klipsch gives arent all that great.

Blog Entries
    Running Windows? Try going into your sound mixer and muting the outputs one by one. That happened to me once. In fact it would get into recordings I made digitially. Found out my MIDI chip on my soundblaster was blown. Muted it and the problem went away. That's more what it sounds like to me than interferance from outside sources. But I'm usually wrong too...

-Whir

The interference stays if i unplug the amp from the computer though. So its not the computer. it only dissapears when i disconnect the speaker wire from either the satillite or the amp.

It's just a thought, but when I used to do quite a bit of sound system stuff we would occasionally pick up some strange interference noises.
    I would first check the polarity on the speakers (all of them) occasionally that can caues some strange interfernce noises. Also check the grounding for the amp / power supply. AC harmonics will sound off through the speakers at different frequences. Unless you are running shielded speaker wire check that none of the speaker wires are running too close to an AC circuit while you are at it. Other than that it could be something not quite right in the amp itself, but thats not too common.

JD
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

ok
    I was bad at physics
    wanna give examples of grounding and AC Harmonics and all that?
    this amp is integrated into the sub, and so is the power supply.

I think the amps fine. Its probably the wire...

It's just crappy wire. My Klipsch 2.1 had the same problem. I replaced the wire with Monster Cable then they sounded fantastic.

It hasnt happened til recently, which is the only reason I thought otherwise. Maybe it is the 2.4Ghz phones combined with the crappy wire.
    Thanks alot out. Time to go out to the dollar store with 3 bucks to replace all my front wires.

Try getting a ferrite ring and winding the lead from the PC to the am around it once or twice, this is astandard interference suppression technique.

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts.

Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=900%2D7000

Just an example, you'll need to check the physical size you need.

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts.

Yeha, but even if i unplug the Amp from the PC, it still has the squeal...so the PC has nothing to do with it, nor does the wire from the PC to the amp.

Speaker wire is an excellent antenna for picking up interference . Try using shielded coax.

I use unshielded wire from my computer to my amp and sometimes I'll pick up my neighbor's CB transmissions. It's actually quite funny listening in to his conversations. Sometimes I find myself trying to *enhance* the reception of this "interference".

I wouldn't doubt for a second that, with all the wireless stuff going on, that it's something else in the house and some better speaker wire might fix it. BUT... Try moving the amp away from the computer while it's unpluigged from the computer, and see if it makes a difference. Computers are loaded with RF emissions, as are monitors, and what with all the other stuff happening in the house, it may just be too much. On the other hand, moving the amp 6 inches might make all the difference.

Sometimes when I record electric guitar, I have to turn the monitor off while I'm doing a take, or stand at an exact, certain angle to the monitor not to get all kinds of hash and garbage in the track. So an amp picking some of this grunge up wouldn't be unheard of.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

If you goto the Klipsch web site and check their forums you'll see that people have been complaining of this problem since they first introduced their multimedia speakers. And I mean A LOT of people, including me. Actually along with my complaint I gave people a solution should they want to fix it themselves. I replaced the crappy wire with Monster Cable and also bypassed the headphones type plug that they used and soldered the wire directly to the terminals inside the speakers.

Headphone type plug? you mean the 1/8 inch plug? Solder? where?

I probably wont do it, but im curious.

Sometimes those little plugs make sloppy contact. Even at their best, the curcuit isn't as "clean" as one with a 1/4" plug. An increase in resistance right at the plug will definately change the inductance of the wire, making it's properties as an antenna change.

BUT: Do your speakers even use those plugs? Or do they use plain wire, with screw terminals?

My dad soldered the ends of the new wires for the rear when we installed them..I forgot about that...Maybe thats what helped it.

The Klipsch's hook up like this-

Computer -> Soundcard, using 3 1/8 inch plugs (Front L/R, Rear L/R and Center/Sub) plug into the amp's inputs, which is integrated into the sub. It is then output thru 5 pairs of speaker wire (normal, polarized...18 gauge i think) to the Satillites.
    I bought the wire home today, but I forgot that I needed to solder them. I'll just wait til next time i see dad because I dont have a solder iron at home.

Spring clips probably, Cadd...

heehee, this is the last line on my resume:

1957: Learned which end of a soldering iron not to grab.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

AE, I'm assuming your Klipsch speakers connect the same way mine did. In the back of the sat's was a small (1/8th inch) jack. I completely removed that jack. In fact, here's a pic of one of them after I took it out of the speaker.

I removed it and ran my Monster Cable in through the hole and soldered it directly to the terminals where the plug used to connect to.

Actually it doesnt...
    The speaker wire is at the back of each of the satillites
    the only 1/8 plugs go from the amp to the sound card.
    I guess they are different in more than just power.

For the satillite part, they are spring clips. (They spring right back into position if you push them down and let go..thats a spring clip right?). For these, you gotta pull down the clips, put the red and black wire in, and let go.
    For the amp parts, the clips look the same, but theres an "open" and a "lock" position. They dont really spring back in place. You just set them to "open", set the wire in, and then push it up to "lock" position.
    They look the same as the spring clips, but operate slightly differently.

Okay I looked around the whole web (erm...google) for a pic of the satillite inputs and the back of the sub where the amp is on the Klipsch 5.1's and I cant find anything. All the "full reviews" on these speakers just show copys of pictures that they ripped off the Klipsch site, none with thier own pics. They make have the pic somewhere on the Klipsch site, but its slow as molasses for me right now...Don't know why...

...EDIT...But Klipschonline.com is still flying...I discovered that the Satillite hookups are indeed springclips for 18 gauge wire.

And this

Speaker Wire
    The Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 is designed for the next level of "PC Performance Audio." We felt it was important to allow the end user to upgrade speaker wire, if so desired. However, we have included quality oxygen-free copper 18 gauge wire for the demanding enthusiast. In all likelihood, we will offer another wire upgrade option at www.klipsch.com for your convenience.
    It seems that the 2.1 and 4.1 came with 22 gauge wire according to this in the FAQ -

What kind of speaker wire does this system useóregular, thin speaker wire or a heavier gauge?
    The provided wire lengths are 22 gauge. You could replace it with something heavier, but you will need to put a 1/8" (3.5mm) mono minijack on the satellite end, which kind of rules out the 10-gauge stuff.
    And on the 5.1's specs -

WIRE GAUGE ACCOMODATED: 18 gauge supplied; will accept 14 gauge
    Im starting to think its not the wire.
    Also something odd happened today. I came home, and I still had that distortion. So I powered down, and then unpluged the 2 new 2.4Ghz phones. I then took out the connections and redid them, and powered them back on. At this point NOTHING but the sub made noise. I thought I blew the amp.
    I reconnected again, and it worked fine, this time distortion free. I plugged the phones back in. Still distortion free.
    I reconnected the wires like 4 or 5 times, so I still cant explain why all my satillites went out on me for that hookup. Its all working now and distortion free with the phones plugged in. I'll see what happens tommorrow.

BTW I went to Bestbuy and looked at monster cable...thats some expensive stuff, but it looks really hi-qual...they even give you a spool for a 25ft stretch of it. Dollar store gave me a twisty tie for a 25ft stretch. Im sure their not as good, but it was 1/12th of the price.

Last edited by AuraEdge; January 23rd, 2002 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information