+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soundcard????

i got a asus a7n8x-e deluxe and it is 5.1 it sounds great !!!!

a set of 7.1 speakers is about 120 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by radio1_mike
    Most boards besides the (3) 1/8" plugs on the motherboard header have SPDIF on the motherboard itself.

So you would need a card to use the spdif then right. I don't really need examples or anything just curious. I have the Audigy 2 zs Platnium and it's more than adaquate even though it's been given a lot of lackluster reviews for recording. I think people into home recording are just baised against Creative actually pulling something together after the previous false claims of 16 bit recording and such.

No, you would not need a card to use the SPDIF onboard, it is for the onboard sound.

But if you got a Creative Audigy 2 ZS, I would not bother with the onboard; unless you wanted the card in another rig.
    New Dad since 07/06/2005

No that's not what I'm asking. You said there is onboard spdif to use more than 2 channels right. I'm just saying where would you plug your speakers in. I don't want to use the onboard sound it was just something that confused me. Them saying it's 6 channel sound but only having balanced connectors for aux in/speakers/mic. I assume you have to have digital speakers to get the 6 channels since there is only analog output for two channels. So where would you plug the speakers in.

It's not a big deal at all I'm just curious.
    Last edited by rabidaardvark; July 21st, 2004 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidaardvark
    No that's not what I'm asking. You said there is onboard spdif to use more than 2 channels right. I'm just saying where would you plug your speakers in. I don't want to use the onboard sound it was just something that confused me. Them saying it's 6 channel sound but only having balanced connectors for aux in/speakers/mic. I assume you have to have digital speakers to get the 6 channels since there is only analog output for two channels. So where would you plug the speakers in.

It's not a big deal at all I'm just curious.

Ahh. (sorry!)

If you do multichannel sound (eg. 5.1, etc...), you should get PCI slot motherboard header (with the board)... Hopefully. Some companies pack them in, some you'd have to order direct to get it. And that would be what you plug your speakers into.
    New Dad since 07/06/2005

Cool deal Mike. That always sortof confused me. I never looked into it because we all know that at least one spec on every piece of hardware is a flat out lie. I figured that was the one for motherboards.

Yah,

I always hate how the features on a motherboard are there but the headers to actually *use* them may not be.
    New Dad since 07/06/2005

You want good sound. Sound Blaster is the only way to go, don't even think otherwise, then again, if you don't have at least a grand worth of speaker, you aren't going to get much out of it. Get a reciver, Denon is the way to go should cost you around $600, if you want to save onn speakers just go for speaker sets. a good one from M&K would cost aound 1500-2500,THEN we talk about sound card.
    however if you only going to be using some headphone, at least get something like http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/ any of that should get you started.
    Last edited by hom3l3ssazn; July 21st, 2004 at 09:58 PM.

Don't get me wrong Creative has some great cards but if you were willing to get grand worth of speakers you'd be better off with a professional sound card. M-Audio isn't any better, they are just so you don't get laughed at by your other musician friends for having a Creative card. Creative is better than most pros give them credit for but you might be stretching the limit a bit.

As far as speakers and headphones go. For listening to music sure you definately want the best you can afford but for recording and mixing you want average speakers and you never touch a set of headphones mixing. Otherwise 90% of the people listening to your music are going to hear somethign totally different.

Don't touch the bass boost either.

I'm rambling now.
    Last edited by rabidaardvark; July 21st, 2004 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Cause I always have more to say.

agree, if you want to do HD mixing with computer u would want something better than SB or M-Audio. However, if i were to do any recording, i would get a 6 track digital mixer/recorder. it's good for a small band and all that.

Well just depends on what you want to spend and what kind of music you play. A digital mulit-track that can record at the same as my 2 zs would be very expensive and no matter how much onboard contol there is, there isn't enough. That said they are silent, portable and more intuitive. Though even if you get a 24 bit digital you still need a 24 bit recordable soundcard or a box, same for surround mixing.

If you are interested in an HTPC sound card.. take a look at this:

Chaintech AV-710 Envy-24HT soundcard

$24 at newegg.com and it COMES WITH a digital optical cable. I have my PC hooked up to a panasonic XR-25 digital receiver and it works great. I get DTS/DD passthrough to my receiver. It is based on the same chipset as the M-audio revolution 7.1. If you use the digital output, the card can't be beat for the price. The analog outputs are not as good as the m-audio. The front two channels use good DAC's but the rest don't. Not a problem if you go digital though. I use it with winDVD and foobar2k with great results.

There is a huge thread on Envy24 cards at AVS Forum.. (~550 posts)
    Envy24HT-S - The Definitive Source

Mine has been running great. I definatly recommend you at least consider this card. It is superior to the creative line of soundcards.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information