+ Reply to Thread

Can't get my headphones to work.

Just like the title. I can't get my headphones to work. It's not muted in the volume control and the volume on the cd-rom is turned up. I'm lost, and it's dark, I'm sure I'm missing something very simple. Someone please show me the light.

Sound Card is a Creative Sound Blaster 16. and labtec 2 deskspeakers with subwoofer.

thanks
    Eat, drink and be merry...

wow, that's an old sound card. the digital audio cable (or analog, dunno if an old sb16 could even do digital) might not be plugged in between the soundcard and the cdrom... if so you probably won't get any sound...

Do you have a program from Creative that lets you change Digital Output? I have Creative Sound Blaster Live!, and a folder called Audio HQ where there is a program called "Speaker" There I can change the Digital Output 'on' or 'off' for headphones you need it to be 'off'. On my comp at least. Hope I helped

Hey ZENYO,
    Have you unpluged the speaker and put the head phones insted? or have you put the head phones in another socket beside the speakers socket?

___/Snaggle\____
    ___/Snaggle\___;)

Hey Storm, It's an ensonic or something like that. It's not that old, maybe a year old, that's when the computer was purchased. I didn't order it so I'm not to sure (My Work Puter). But it's apperantly a newer (Low End) card. THe cable is plugged in, I get great sound ou of my speakers just not my headphones.

Hey Br0t, I didn't install Audio HQ.

Hey Snaggle, I put the headphones in in the pug on the cdrom.

Were you playing any audio cd's at the time?

___/Snaggle\___
    ___/Snaggle\___;)

lmao! Yes I was.

I unplugged the speakers from the sound card and plugged my headphones in and they worked. But then I put the headphones into the cdrom, even with the speakers unplugged, and it still nothing.

The audio cable from the CD to the sound card is not installed.

All I can say is that the only thing that would play through the Cd-Rom Drive socket is Audio CD's, Mp3 and other sounds that come out of the sound card are Data and cannot be played through the Cd-Rom socket.
    Audio CD's can be played through the sound card because there is a straight connection to the sound card from the CD-Rom Drive.
    Hope that helps!

If not I'd think that the Cd-Rom socket dosen't work for some reson, may be it dameged or somthing!

___/Snaggle\___
    ___/Snaggle\___;)

Hi eweruk, If the cable from the cd to the sound card was not installed, I wouldn't be getting sound out of the speakers either . Correct?

Maybe it the cdrom socket is damadged. I'll fiddle with it more. Thanks

edit: One of these days I'll learn how to type.
    Last edited by ZENYO; April 12th, 2002 at 05:46 PM.

Opps, missed that part. So you can hear through the speakers when the CD is playing and from the computer. The headphones work through the sound card for computer generated sounds but not CD-ROM. The jack on the CD-ROM is flaky, wiggle it with the headphones plugged in.

ZENYO, go ahead and install Audio HQ from the Creatve CD-ROM, it will work after you install and then do what i said earlier. (i hope )

I don't think that it's a problem with your headphones. It's more likely that there is something wrong with the headphone jack in your speaker set. If you can find another set of speakers with a headphone jack, try them and see if your headphones work then. If they do, then it's pretty damn likely that there's something wrong with your speakers.
    The difficulty is to try and teach the multitude that something can be true and untrue at the same time. -- Arthur Schopenhauer

br0t, if the speakers were playing music, then there's nothing wrong with the soundcard and AudioHQ doesn't need to be installed.

Besides, you can select and deselect the digital output option without using AudioHQ. If you ask me, AudioHQ is just more bloatware that isn't needed.
    The difficulty is to try and teach the multitude that something can be true and untrue at the same time. -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Need a second (or perhaps first) audio cable

Just go to a computer store and ask for an audio cable to go from your mother board to your cd-rom drive. Should be under 10 bucks. Then, unless you're feeling adventurous, get out your motherboard manual and locate where you can plug your audio cable in (often more than one place located next to each other). Finding the spot to plug the audio cable in on your cd-rom shouldn't be hard. Voila.

Welcome to TechIMO, Climberstevie.

I'm confident that in the 10 years since he posted he's solved the problem, or more likely had several new computers...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information