+ Reply to Thread

Unable to hear Mic while speaking

Hey, I'm running Vista on my HP laptop and I'm having a problem with my microphone. The microphone worked great on XP with my old laptop. The problem I have is that when I'm speaking into my microphone, I don't hear myself in my headphones.
    I've used the Sound Recorder and spoken into my microphone and then played back what I recorded and the microphone is working fine. Does anyone know a way to fix this input/output issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was using Realtek HD Audio, but after scouring forums for a solution someone suggested installing the newest drivers from Realtek's site, which is now only called High Definition Audio and no longer says Realtek. I still have the problem, and I have checked for updates for my audio driver. Thanks in advance for your help. If you could email me also/instead, that would be great too, as I'm not sure how often I will be able to check this site.

Thanks so much!
    cwell001@ucr.edu

Blog Entries
    Hello,
    Go into the control panel/sounds, and audio devices\advanced, and make sure that the mute box isn't checked on the microphone. Take Care.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw2001it View Post
    Hello,
    Go into the control panel/sounds, and audio devices\advanced, and make sure that the mute box isn't checked on the microphone. Take Care.
    That feature is in Windows XP, not Vista. And if the microphone was muted then I wouldn't be able to record sound at all, and I am able to record sound, but unable to hear what my microphone is picking up at the time of recording. Like when I'm talking into the mic, there's no sound coming out of my headphones or speakers. Thanks for the reply though. Can anyone else help?

Blog Entries
    Hello,
    When the mic is muted you can still record, you just can't hear the sound out of the speakers. Not sure what the equivalent is with Vista, but do the same thing as you would with XP. Take Care.

Unhappy

Hello,
    When the mic is muted you can still record, you just can't hear the sound out of the speakers. Not sure what the equivalent is with Vista, but do the same thing as you would with XP. Take Care.
    I checked my mic volume and it is currently set at 100%. Still no sound feedback. Anyone have any ideas?

It's done on purpose to prevent feedback causing squealing noises. The application usually does not allow any sound from the mic to the speakers. It is not a driver problem, it is a feature!

However, it would be nice to be able to turn it on or off...

I have no idea how to change that, but perhaps different software, that allows you to sing or speak as if it were a PA system would give you what you want.
    Asus M4A785TD-V EDO, Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 Gig DDR3 1333 Win7 64 Home

Blog Entries
    Hello,
    I looked at my settings on my Realtek audio mixer. Do this: open up the Realtek Audio Mixer, click on the mixer tab, and look at the microphone slider on the playback setting's. Underneath it there is a little button for the speaker...make sure that isn't checked.
    Try your microphone now, and see if you hear anything from the speakers. If not do the following: Click on the Tab "microphone", and make sure that the noise suppression, or the acoustic echo cancellation options are not checked. Now you should hear something from the speakers. If not, let us know. Take Care.

Unhappy

Hello,
    I looked at my settings on my Realtek audio mixer. Do this: open up the Realtek Audio Mixer, click on the mixer tab, and look at the microphone slider on the playback setting's. Underneath it there is a little button for the speaker...make sure that isn't checked.
    Try your microphone now, and see if you hear anything from the speakers. If not do the following: Click on the Tab "microphone", and make sure that the noise suppression, or the acoustic echo cancellation options are not checked. Now you should hear something from the speakers. If not, let us know. Take Care.
    I opened my High Definition Audio Device (since it's no longer called Realtek for some reason) and clicked on my mixer. There is only "Windows Sounds" and "Headphones" with sliders. Under recording devices, there is my microphone, and the slider is set at 70. There is no microphone slider on the playback settings.
    Also, there is no option for noise suppression, or acoustic echo cancellation. Your information sounded like it would work but unfortunately due to either my audio driver or due to Vista, these options are not on my laptop. Are you using Windows Vista? If so, maybe I should find a way to change my audio driver or something. Thanks so far for your help and I look forward to your response.

P.S: The audio driver I have installed currently is from Realtek's website at this location: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Vista Driver(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file)R1.77

SAME PROBLEM!!!

hey, Nbbear!

I'm having the same problem with my HP laptop using Vista!

I am not able to hear myself speaking on the mic.

Did you get your issur solved? If so, please, help me out with that! HP support couldn't understand my problem.

Thanks in advance!

Unhappy Unfortunately

Hey worshiperson,

Unfortunately I discovered through a lengthy period of research, and digging through internet forums, that the laptops are unable to provide Mic feedback. Desktops are the only ones capable of providing mic feedback. I don't remember all the details, but I think it had to do with Vista on laptops, or something to that effect. Maybe all HP laptops in general, it was a long time ago. Either way, the final answer was that the HP laptop running Vista is unable to provide feedback. Now that I recall, it was an HP laptop problem. Sorry about that. Please take care.

P.S: While it was unusual for me to not hear myself speaking during online gaming, I've since become used to it, asking someone "can you hear me okay?" when I talk for the first couple times for a freshly installed game, allowing me to set my mic to the appropriate levels. That's the only advice I can give. Good luck.

Talking Here you go...

Right click the speaker icon then click playback devices. Now click speakers and go to levels. Now un-select the speaker mute. There you go... not that hard

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    speaking of not that hard... look at the date of the last reply before yours...

... not that hard
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information