+ Reply to Thread

Freeware or Open Source Media That Supoorts HDDVD and BLu Ray

Hey all I'm looking for a freeware or open source media player that supports Blu Ray And also HD DVD. My computer meets the specifications of high definition. And I'm currently using Power DVD. But I do not really like it so I was hoping for something better that is free. If any of you could think of any that would be great. Thanks. Oh ya Also I'm using Windows XP Professional 32Bit.

VLC media player - Overview

VLC actually does not support Blu ray or HD DvD. I use VLC for everything else but that. Because there is no support. But hey thanks anyways. VLC is awsome though wish they did support BD ROM and HD DVD ROM.

VLC - Features

My apologies...I thought they had updated it to include support for HD formats. Learn something new every day.

I did some looking around for free software after I built my htpc & powerdvd didn't like my nvidia 7150 onboard video. I never did find any freeware that could play BR &/or HDDVD.

I did end up buying NERO 8 & the BR addon (that they don't mention you also have to buy).
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper

Blog Entries
    Since you have to pay licensing fees to be able to build a BR or HD-DVD player I doubt you'll find any for free for a while.

At least not until drives are in the sub $50 mark for BR (HD-DVD is dead by all means, so I doubt anyone will make a new player for that)
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ya I think so too. Anyways I think I'm just going to buy the new Nero. Because it still supports HD DVD as well as BD ROM. Anyways thanks for trying help.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK03F150 View Post
    I did some looking around for free software after I built my htpc & powerdvd didn't like my nvidia 7150 onboard video. I never did find any freeware that could play BR &/or HDDVD.

I did end up buying NERO 8 & the BR addon (that they don't mention you also have to buy).
    Just wanted to make sure you saw that part. I was so pissed after I bought Nero for $80-90, then had to spend another $29 for the add-on. Nero just about lost a customer to warez.
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper

Holy shit. I'm Thinking of sticking with my Power DVD 7 as long as can. 90 bucks not worth it. and then another 30 shit for a BR add-on. They really love to rape your wallet. greedy bastards. I know Nero is Good but come on. Wonder if i could find a cheap DVD RW pre packaged with Nero. And then just get the BR add on. Only reasson Nero is it still supports HD DVD and plus I do like the software. For making DVDs with. Also what is Nero Recode is that to rip DVDs on to a PC. Is there any good software out there for that. Is it against copyright i do own the DVDs. Plus how much do you think a terabyte could hold in DVD Rips on avergae. I know quality and resloution our a factor and legnth our a factor. Tbanks and sorry for the change of topic.

Mr Spartan1717

Plus I have a PS3. But I my computer is in my office. so ya I do like to watch High Def Blu Ray in here time to time on my monitor. And Sorry for the double post again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information