+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation DVI to HDMI sound transfer

Hi, I just recently bought a DVI to HDMI cable to play Games (crysis, Oblivion) through my TV.
    I have a 32" Toshiba LCDHDTV and the DVI/HDMI cable is running through a PNY GTX260. I have a Dell XPS720.

All & all the video quality is amazing and at full 1080p 1920x1080 it's very impressive, however DVI does not transfer audio, I know that much.

Is there any other way, even if it means spending a little more cash to transfer audio from my PC to my TV? All the GTX260 has is 2 DVI connectors so DVI/HDMI is the only thing I can really do.

Thanks-
    MRBee

EDIT:
    I found this odd device called a Siig DVI+Audio to HDMI converter. How does that work exactly? do I even need cables?
    Siig DVI + Audio to HDMI Converter - CE-HM0031-S1 - Buy.com
    Last edited by MRBee30; May 22nd, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Super F@D Folder
    You need to run the audio to the tv with separate cables using whatever the computer and tv support. The most basic would be to get a regular speaker out to rca (red/white) splitter. Best case would be if they both support optical.

With the box you linked to I'm pretty sure you have to run DVI and audio to it from the pc and then it combines them and outputs hdmi. Honestly I think it'd be a waste of money.

Blog Entries
    Did you get a little cable (S/PDIF) with your graphics card? That plugs between your graphics card and motherboard to send the sound through the HDMI cable.

Like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVI to HDMI sound transfer-sound-through-graphics-card-hdmi-.jpg  
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_8015 View Post
    Did you get a little cable (S/PDIF) with your graphics card? That plugs between your graphics card and motherboard to send the sound through the HDMI cable.
    Like this.
    No I bought it new. I have two PNY GTX 260's sli'd togeather for better performance and all that came with the cards where a VGA/DVI and what looks like an adapter with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. Is that what your talking about? I can take a picture of it.

However the buying speakers tip sounds solid. Can I hook speakers up through my PC and sti'll have video through my DVI/HDMI cable? That would give me even better sound than my TV speakers.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Aaron, his cards don't have HDMI outputs, their VGA/DVI so even connecting the sound to the card won't work unless one of the DVI ports are a modified adapter that can carry sound when connecting the HDMI adapter (I know some DVI ports can do this, 3DFX had that on some of their Voodoo 3 cards back in the late 90's/early 2000's or so, that output sound and video to a breakout cable "box" or puck that you could plug into a home theater or surround sound TV etc. this was long before HDMI came around)

to MrBee... yes, you can just install some speakers to your PC and have sound out through that and the Video through the HDMI. is your PC near the TV? or some distance away?

for my system, I use a Coaxial SPDIF output from my sound card to my 500Watt Home theater for my sound setup for my gaming PC, but the home theater reciever is located on the desk with the monitor for video (eventually my 24" 1080p LCD will be sitting on it via a Swing arm attachment)

but what sr71000 was suggesting wasn't speakers, but you obtain a standard headphone jack adapter that converts the single out put to 2 Stereo RCA connectors, a red and White connector for Left and Right sound, then via an RCA Coaxial extension piece (dual connectors for stereo) if the TV is more than 3 to 6 feet away, then connect those connectors to the appropriate audio inputs on the TV if available, and you can pipe the stereo sound from the PC to the TV, while obtaining the Video from the DVI/HDMI connection.

but as you stated you'd get better audio using dedicated speakers as you mentioned instead of using the typical shit sound speakers on most TV's.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Aaron, his cards don't have HDMI outputs, their VGA/DVI so even connecting the sound to the card won't work unless one of the DVI ports are a modified adapter that can carry sound when connecting the HDMI adapter
    It shouldnt matter as long as there is a S/PDIF input on his card then his card is capable of sending out audio. I do the same on my 260 which has two dvi ports I just attach the DVI-HDMI adapter then plug in the HDMI cable works great. AFAIK the OP should be able to do the same. Tell me if I am wrong.
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

well if thats the case then the ports on the back of the cards, DVI ports are modified DVI connections capable of carrying an audio signal, the big difference between DVI and HDMI aside from obviously the physical connectors is that DVI doesn't carry audio, only HDMI is supposed to, or so I've read.

but if thats the case, then yes, all he'd need is this one cable between the card and the onboard header on the motherboard or sound card if there is one, connect to the card, and then use his HDMI adapter on the DVI connection to get a audio signal to the TV then.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    well if thats the case then the ports on the back of the cards, DVI ports are modified DVI connections capable of carrying an audio signal, the big difference between DVI and HDMI aside from obviously the physical connectors is that DVI doesn't carry audio, only HDMI is supposed to, or so I've read.

but if thats the case, then yes, all he'd need is this one cable between the card and the onboard header on the motherboard or sound card if there is one, connect to the card, and then use his HDMI adapter on the DVI connection to get a audio signal to the TV then.
    Interesting. So my two GTX260's might support audio from one of it's two DVI connections, well it only has those two and nothing else. No VGA or Svidio, just two DVI. My sound card does have an S/PDIF input as well as many others. I'm going to try the a few variations with the HDMI connection to the TV but I know nothing is going to happen. What cable would I need with a connection (S/PDIF to basic audio input for my TV?)

Also, My PC setup is 6 feet away from the TV but a few replugins and it can be right next to it.

Ok so, I have to work with.
    DVI/HDMI cable (PC)
    2'HDMI cable (PS3,360)
    DVI to HDMI adapter which came with the Graphics card
    Only two DVI connections on my Graphics cards.
    And yes my sound card has an S/PDIF input.

Ive got the video working through the DVI/HDMI and could go with external speekers, however I'm lost when it comes to the S/PDIF part, mainly not knowing exactly how it works and what to look for when buying.

Blog Entries
    I imagine an S/PDIF cable would be hard to find, mabye ebay. I was lucky enough to get one with my card.

Firstly I would check that your graphics card actually has an S/PDIF input or this would be a waste of time.

Here is a picture of my cable, sorry the picture isnt too good, not sure how to get camera to focus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVI to HDMI sound transfer-100_0586.jpg  

not sure about this retailer, but did a quick google, and this one was one of several that came up Internal Cable - SPDIF Internal Digital Audio Cable (2-Pin to 2-Pin) 1.5FT

Hmm. I'm wandering if I should try the S/PDIF. I took some pictures a couple days ago. Just thought I'd post them to get any confusion out of here. A couple shots of what I tried and failed at getting to work EXCEPT for the DVI/HDMI cable.

Blog Entries
    On the last picture (graphics card) that is the S/PDIF input. so If you get hold of a cable that should work fine. It will need to be connected to the motherboard on the inside. Will take a pic of mine hooked up when I can.

On the last picture (graphics card) that is the S/PDIF input. so If you get hold of a cable that should work fine. It will need to be connected to the motherboard on the inside. Will take a pic of mine hooked up when I can.
    That would be great thanks! I was pretty sure thats what you guys where talking about, A picture of whare to connect the other end would help save me a lot of time eye scanning the entire inside of my PC.

Blog Entries
    It has just occured to me that I have an x-fi sound card so it is plugged into that.

What motherboard do you have? So I can find it and point out connector.

And yes my sound card has an S/PDIF input.
    Just to clarify you will need an S/PDIF output on your motherboard/sound card.

Will look something like these (may not have plastic surround).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVI to HDMI sound transfer-spdif_headers.jpg   DVI to HDMI sound transfer-infolink_spdif_game_header.jpg  
    Last edited by Aaron_8015; May 24th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.

I used AID32 to find out. They say it's a Dell DXP061. I tried to find the output pin but man I can hardly see the motherboard. I'm sure it's on there.

Blog Entries
    That would be the computer not the motherboard. Failing that as it seems you have a high resolution camera you could take pictures of the motherboard.

Download this and run, it should tell you what the motherboard is under one of the tabs.

CPUID

That would be the computer not the motherboard. Failing that as it seems you have a high resolution camera you could take pictures of the motherboard.

Download this and run, it should tell you what the motherboard is under one of the tabs.

CPUID
    Ok lol. It was under "mainboard"

That program is very useful but I'm sti'll not finding exactly what I'm looking for. This might help a little but I'll take a few pictures in a bit.

Last edited by MRBee30; May 24th, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

Sorry it took so long to get up. Ive had the pictures ready to post for some time now but never got around to posting them. I looked thoroughly everywhere but to no success.

Ive removed the Graphics cards and cooling vent for a full view. firse two are top & bottom. others are detail hidden by cords.

Blog Entries
    Well all I can say from that is it needs a clean! I was hoping you would take pictures of all the pins/jumpers as that is what we are looking for.

is it onboard audio, or a dedicated physical sound card that their using?

system looks like its one of Dell's BTX form factor systems, found one large image of a similar system using "dell 0ct017" as the search terms...

http://www.lacourduroy.eu/pc/P1000937.JPG

Dell Dimension 9200 - HDD - Hardware - FORUM HardWare.fr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information