+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation PC: DVI to HDMI Sound Problem!

Hello, I am running Windows XP Home and I have a GeForce 9400 GT (more specs on it HERE!) hooked up to my Sanyo-HT30744 TV using a DVI to HDMI cable. The TV is supposed to use Component 3 audio input for sound on the HDMI channel when a DVI device is hooked up. When I uninstall the driver to my video card and/or when my PC is booting up and going through BIOS, the HDMI channel displays the notification that you must use the Component 3 input for sound, ext, and works like is should. When the driver is installed and when the boot process gets to the Blue Windows start screen the screen flickers then the TV thinks the HDMI has sound coming through even though it donít.

Can anyone please help me on this?
    I have messed around with the TV and the NVIDA settings and everything and NOTHING. Is there any pins I can break off the DVI end to make it work or anything?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    is it possible there is NO sound being transmitted from the DVI port on the card to the TV, do you have a pin to connect the audio cable from the Video card to the HDMI audio from your motherboard?

most Video cards capable of transmitting audio over the DVI out to an HDMI cable or HDMI adapter cable, uses a 2 pin cable from a header on the motherboard or sound card to the video card.

if this isn't plugged in, if its even available, you won't have any Sound going to the card and through the DVI port.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

No it doesn't, I have read in other forums and everything about the SPDIF hook ups, but my video card don't have one. I have noticed though that there are some soder spots on it where the SPDIF inputs are on other video cards. I can take a picture if you would like.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    if there's no SPDIF connection, then there won't be any audio transmitted through the HDMI connection.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I know, but my TV seems to think there is when it is all installed and everything. That is what I'm not getting. I am wondering if it is made or one or not cause I've seen on the internet where other 9400GT cards have them. But I am all out of options on this one.

Here is a pic of the Solder spots I was talking about.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    You aren't getting sound because DVI is a video standard, unlike HDMI that carries both audio and video.
    DVI to HDMI

Unlike HDMI, DVI usually carries no audio data in its TMDS channel. However, as DVI is for the most part compatible with HDMI (see Compatibility with DVI), it is just as possible to support including audio data by incorporating the audio in the TMDS signal. Because DVI displays typically have no sound capabilities, a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable can then be used to connect the device to an HDMI display. For instance, this feature allows PCs to send audiovisual data to a high definition television. It is increasingly found on modern computer graphics cards (e.g. cards by Nvidia[1] and ATI[2]) and certain motherboards with integrated graphics.
    Thus, if your card is not incorporating the audio in the TMDS signal, you will only get video.
    Last edited by MTAtech; October 9th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    Yes and as your card has no SPDIF input im afraid you are SOL. Next time you pick up a video card you should research to see if it has an SPDIF input.

Unless your feeling skilled with s soldering iron....
    Last edited by Aaron_8015; October 9th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

I have the cable to run sound to my TV from my PC via Red and White RCA.

The TV is supposed to use Component 3 audio input for sound on the HDMI channel when a DVI device is hooked up. When I uninstall the driver to my video card and/or when my PC is booting up and going through BIOS, the HDMI channel on my TV displays the notification that you must use the Component 3 input for sound, ext, and works like is should. When the driver is installed and when the boot process gets to the Blue Windows start screen the screen flickers then the message goes away and TV thinks the HDMI has sound coming through even though it donít. What I would like to know is there anyway to make my TV think there that it is just DVI, which it is, like break one of the DVI pins out, tweak the driver or something?

What make and model of TV?

I know on a Mitsibishi you will have to assign the HDMI input (video) to use the Audio 3 in. It will assume that there is an audio signal on the HDMI untill you tell it diffrently. You can pretty much change everything for that matter. This is pretty detailed but there is a great chart in the instruction book.

If this is a big widescreen, you may just want to upgrade the video card to one with the needed connections. Your picture will also get better. You could also put the cpu audio out to something like a surround sound system.
    Vi per Concordiam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information